Life of Illusion

James and the Green-Eyed Monster

-James-

“What's your problem, Jim?” Oliver asked as soon as the door shut behind Aline.

“Nothing.”

“Don't lie, you've been giving her the cold shoulder.” Oliver called me out.

“I don't know...” I mumbled, standing up from the couch. “Why do you care anyway?”

“You're my brother, I can tell when you like a girl.”

“Are you serious right now? I don't like Aline like that.” I denied, though feeling a little embarrassed. “It just seems like she's hiding something for us, as all, and I--”

“You're being selfish. We've only just met her, you can't expect her to just blurt out her whole life story.” Oliver defended her.

“We haven't kept anything from her.” I pointed out, “We were straight with her from the beginning.”

“Maybe there is something she doesn't want us to know because she's afraid of our reaction.”

“And Will gets to know?” I asked. I was particularly upset with that fact. “Whatever she's kept from us, she's most likely told him.”

“Is that was sparked this, you jealous git?” Oliver laughed, though I could tell he was getting angry. “Maybe she knows you well enough to know you'd get all bent out of shape over whatever it is that's bothering her.”

“How can she, we've barely just met!”

“Exactly, so who are you to decide—to ever decide—what she can and can't do? If she doesn't want to tell us, just leave it alone.” Oliver shoved that right in my face. Feeling like I lost that argument, I sulked upstairs and watched some sport on my television.

Why do girls have to be so complicated? I though Aline would be at least a little easier to deal with than most when I first met her.

But then she was crying on our doorstep, shacking up with Will, and bringing an American friend over. All without even a hint of a reason why. She was possibly the most complicated woman I've ever met.

Usually, I hate complicated things, so why did I still feel this inkling of attraction to Aline? It was probably since when I first met her she was so laid back and carefree, that was the part I liked.

Not this new found secretive and complex side...so the feeling with probably fade soon.

Yeah, that's definitely it.

Before I know it, it was past three o'clock and I had fallen sleep. Shocked, I stood up to stretch and contemplate how old I must be to fall asleep watching sports on television. Then I realized I had slept through lunch. Instead of trying to find something in the kitchen, I walked out to my car, going to go get something to eat at a deli or something.

As I put the key in the lock, I glanced over towards Aline's house. And my stomach plummeted. Her and Will her holding each other tightly in the middle of her lawn. I watched for a few seconds, anger radiating off of me.

She pulled back, a huge smile on her face and said something. Now would be a good time to know how to read lips. I scoffed and jerked open my door, slamming it loudly. From the corner of my eye, I saw Aline look my way, but I was jamming the key in the ignition and backing out.

Not to mention I really didn't care.

I mean, sure, she was cute and dainty and had pretty eyes. Yeah, any guy would like her. She's always smiling, and that attracts people...Why wouldn't Will like her?

Why wouldn't I like her?

Even if I hadn't known her long, she seemed to be such a bright and happy girl. I like bright and happy girls. So, I guess it shouldn't have come as a shock that I would like her. But, if she liked Will, I guess there was nothing I could do.

At a stop light, I hit my head against the seat of my car, groaning. When did I become such a sap? Women didn't ever usually effect me like this. Usually, I dated them, found out how much of a hassle they were, and dumped them. Occasionally, I would be the one getting dumped.

I just didn't like drama. And 'women' seemed to be synonymous with it.

I stopped at a deli, picking up a sandwich and sitting down at the table, trying to think of anything but Aline at the moment. If it was going to be this way with her, then I don't see why I should waste my time with her.

Truth is, I might have been a little cold to her.

No! Stop thinking about her, James! Pull yourself together, mate!

I sighed, finishing up my sandwich as I struggled to think of anything else. But, of course, now that I didn't have any more Harry Potter films to look forward to making, I didn't have much to think of. Maybe I should call up Rupert or Tom or someone and make plans to go golfing.

But, it was getting to be winter. I guess as long as it's not snowing, we'd be able to go. Or maybe we could just drive around and hang out. It was fun the last time we did it.

I still had to look for apartments with Oliver, though. I should call Rupert and see if he'd like to help. That way, Aline doesn't have to.

Figuring there was nothing wrong with it, and I could have a chance to hang out with him some more, I dialed Rupert.

“All right, mate?” He greeted.

“Hiya, Rup.” I sounded a little too cheery for my ears, but Rupert didn't seem to notice. “Oliver and I are going to be moving out--”

“Finally. What are you, 25? I moved out ages ago.” Rupert teased.

“Be quiet.” I laughed, “Though I do agree it's about time. Anyway, we needed a little help, are you free this weekend?”

“Yeah, since I don't start filming for another two weeks.”

“Oh?” I said, interested, “You're cast in another movie?”

“Yeah, nothing really too big, you know. Have you tried for any parts?”

“Naw, Oliver has though, I decided to take it easy for a while.” I mentioned, “Maybe, do some production and whatnot on films. I don't really know.”

For a while we just chatted. It calmed me down now that I had something other to think and talk about than Aline. Getting to my house and disconnecting with Rupert, I took a deep breath.

I felt much better now.
♠ ♠ ♠
There.
Two new chapters just because I'm a right foul git.
:D

I hope you enjoyed them.

Peace.Love.Pokemon
Sara Michelle