Life of Illusion

Aline Kingston and the Job Interview

“Guys!” I whined, stomping my foot, “You're not really helping!”

“What?” They asked together, palms in the air.

“I said you could come over if you helped me decide what to wear.” I reminded them, all they wanted to do was mess around with the little trinkets filling the boxes I had yet to unpack.

“You look fit no matter what you put on.” James rolled his eyes as if I was being ridiculous.

“But, does it give you the right impression?”

“Our impression of you isn't the one you want Mr. Holster to get.” Oliver sniggered.

“Be serious, please.” I pleaded, “I'm nervous enough, already. I've had bad luck with jobs, you know.”

“Can't imagine why.” They said.

I sat down heavily on my bed, a mess of emotions. “Hey...” James started, “What happened to the Aline last night who was so excited and confident about this job?”

“She realized how many jobs she's been fired from.” I replied, my shoulders slumping miserably.

“Don't count yourself out when you haven't even started.” James flung an arm around my shoulder, squeezing me into a sideways hug. “You'll do great. Mr. Holster's a easy going chap, he wouldn't fire you just because you're a little wild.”

Oliver put his arm around me from the other side, “Yeah, he'd really enjoy someone like you. His son is too dry, and his wife left him ages ago, died of a heart attack, he needs someone like you to brighten up that dreary shop.”

“Really?” I asked hopefully.

“Yes, really.” James laughed, “We may tease you for being odd, Aline, but we still fancy your company. I'm sure Mr. Holster and Will would agree.”

“You guys give amazing pep talks.” I smiled, feeling ten times better.

“All right now?” They asked.

I nodded, my smile growing, “I can do this.” I stood, grabbing a teal shirt and off white skirt with a bow on the waist, changing in the bathroom. “Good?” I asked, looking towards the boys for confirmation.

“Dashing.” They winked.

I managed to get into Mr. Holster's shop fifteen minutes early, due to nerves, and looked around the shop. Like Oliver and James mentioned, it was rather dreary in here. The lights were dimmed way low, and all the fixtures and tables were black. There were also fake plants in every corner.

Suddenly, my bright teal shirt seemed too bright.

“Ah!” An older looking man exclaimed upon entering the room, having heard the tiny tin of the doorbell. “Are you Aline Kingston?”

“Yes, sir.” I nodded, “I know I'm a little early, but I was a little nervous.” I chuckled, rubbing the back of my neck.

“That's all right, let's just chat out here. I'll get you a cappuccino.” He said, already filling up a cup, starting on another one. “I saw that you had other waitress jobs on your resume, but you're from America, correct?”

“Yes, sir.” I cleared my throat, sitting in the seat Mr. Holster had motioned me to, “I just moved here on impulse, but I got a three year visa. It took me a while to get, but I did.” I rambled. Strike one, Aline.

“Is that so?” Mr. Holster said patiently. To prevent further mouth vomit, I took a sip of the drink Mr. Holster had prepared. I smiled pleasantly at the delicious taste. “Did you do good at those jobs?” He asked, “I couldn't really get a hold of your employers, long distance and everything. I only called your cell phone out of necessity.”

“Sorry, I should have a land line next week.” I nodded. Yet another pointless detail. Now it just looked like I thought I was sure I was going to get the job. I don't think they liked arrogance. “But, I really wasn't. I'm a little...I don't want to say wild because that has a bad connotation, but I'm a little too much sometimes.” I answered.

Mr. Holster's mouth twitched, a flash of a smile, “Really?” His eyebrows rose. “Interesting. What do you like to do in your spare time?”

“I usually read, or take pictures. Sometimes I play guitar, but I'm not very good, same with drawing.”

“So, you could say you're artistic?”

“In ways.” I nodded.

He asked a few more standard questions, with I answered with a little bit of fumbling, but with complete honesty.

I took the last sip from my cup before blurting, “Can I ask you a question?”

“That's not normally how these go.” Mr. Holster looked at me, still straight faced.

“Oh, sorry.” I lowered my head, setting the cup back down on the table.

“But, yes, you may.”

“What made me stand out to you to get you to call?”

Mr. Holster put down his cup as well, leaning back in his chair. “Well, Aline, I don't really know. But, just from this chat with you, I've learned a lot. You're honest, almost to a fault, and you're certainly impulsive and fickle.” He started.

Oh, great, here is comes.

“But--”

But? There's a but?

“It's what, I think, this place needs. My wife was like you, a wild heart. She did everything that popped into her head, with little thought. And, when she was alive, this shop boomed. Over the years, this place got droopy and sad.”

“So, what are you saying, Mr. Holster?” I asked, needing absolute confirmation.

“I'm telling you to call me Edward from now on.” He stood up, sticking out his hand, I followed suit.

“Thank you, thank you, sir.” I smiled, shaking his hand with vigor, “You won't be disappointed.”

The shop's bell rang once again, and Mr. Holster's eyes lifted to look over my shoulder. Still smiling wide, I turned to the man entering. He was tall, with dark hair and blue eyes that reminded me of the man with whom I was still shaking hands with.

“William!” Mr. Holster greeted, “Meet our newest employee, Aline Kingston.” He motioned to me.

William looked like someone who had stuck his finger in a socket, “H-hi.” He got out, coming closer to clasp my outstretched hand. “Nice to meet you, Aline. I'm William, his son.” He introduced with a nod to his father.

“Pleasure meeting you, William.”

William let go of my hand after a moment too long of holding it, and turned to his father, “When will she be starting?”

“We haven't discussed that yet.” Mr. Holster said.

“If you have time, Aline, I could show you around the shop a little.” William offered, his attention now on me.

“I'm free.” I nodded.

“Is that okay, dad? That I show her some of how things work in here?”

“Sure, son, I have a few more orders to fill out.” Mr. Holster nodded, going again to the door to the back of the shop.

“Thank you again, Mr. Holster!” I called, waving. He looked back at me with one eyebrow raised. “Err...Edward.” I corrected myself, and Mr. Holster, for the first time since I met him, smiled wide.

“Wow, you must have made quite the impression, he doesn't smile like that often.” William commented.

“I guess it's contagious.” I grinned up at William and followed him behind the counter.

“All right, first things first, this is the--”

I listened closely to everything William said to me, trying to soak it all up so I didn't disappoint Mr. Hol—Edward—like I promised I wouldn't.

He went through the machines, the additives, and the prices once before turning to me, “I think that's enough for today, you can try everything tomorrow.”

“Sounds good.” I nodded. “I should probably at least start on the unpacking process.” I chuckled, having mentioned the move once during our time together.

“Do you mind if I walk you home?”

“Not at all.” I shook my head.

“Excellent, let me throw this apron in the wash and we'll be off.” He nodded, rushing towards the back.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
MusicIsKey got what I was doing with the chapter titles!!!
YAY!
Gosh, it was so lame.
But, Hello My Name Is... was very close to getting it.
Awh. :/

Anyway, here's [url=http://www.polyvore.com/aline/set?id=34600546]Aline's outfit
I'm going to find a good picture for Will later and add his description and character later.
Maybe tomorrow. I am seriously going to be now. I've been trying to for like an hour and then decided to give up and post this.

Be happy. Because I feel like crap.

Peace. Love. Weasley.
Sara Michelle