Life of Illusion

Star Dust

William held the door open for me as we left the shop, before asking, “So, you're from America?”

“Yes, Virginia to be exact.”

“Why did you move here?”

I shrugged a shoulder, letting out a breath, “I just liked the idea. My grandparents would always tell me stories about England, about here, and it always sounded so mysterious and like...it was from a fairy tale.”

“Sorry to disappoint you.” William chuckled, looking up at the sky.

“Oh, no!” I jumped in, “It's definitely like that. In fact, it's better than I could have imagined. For some silly reason, I feel...freer here. If that makes sense.”

“No.” William shook his head, a smile on his face. “It makes no sense to me. I've always felt restricted here.”

“Then, follow my lead.” I told him, holding out my hand for him to take.

“What do you mean?” William asked, confusion plain on his face.

“Just take my hand and follow me.” I smiled warmly at him. “I used to do this all the time, come on.” I coaxed, shaking my hand impatiently.

With a hint of reluctance, William took my hand, eyes flying wide when I started running. He stumbled a little at first, but quickly became in step with me. We turned the corner, the opposite way I needed to go to get to my house.

I spun around, grabbing William's other hand in my empty one, and began spinning around, then ran again. This time, William had a harder time regaining his footing. I was aware of the people staring and strange looks, but I didn't particularly care.

Just as suddenly as I had started running, I stopped. I was panting a little, standing at the corner of a street, no idea what I was looking at for a few moments.

“There.” I let out an accomplished sigh, “What do you see?”

“A tea shop, clothing shop, A book store, and a restaurant.” William answered, confused again.

I made a buzzer noise with my mouth, “Look harder.”

“Well, there are people, as well. Some, I can tell, aren't from England.” All the while, he still looked utterly befuddled.

I giggled before explaining what this was about. “If you shake out all the boring aspects of your life, and look at things with a fresh perspective, you could see a lot of things. Like, the old lady with the engagement ring sipping chamomile tea.”

“How do you know it's chamomile?” William asked, interrupting my monologue.

“I don't.” I shrugged, “But, don't you think it's sweet that she's found love either again, or for the first time, at such an old age?”

“So, what does this have to do with me feeling restricted living here?” William asked, confused again.

“You can create a whole new world inside this one if you think hard enough.” I told him, “Make it so it's not the same, boring old Sutton Coldfield everyday.”

“I still don't get it.” William shook his head. I gave an exasperated huff, but still smiled.

“Close your eyes.” I commanded softly, “Close your eyes but picture this exact street corner.”

William gave me a skeptical look, but did as I asked anyway, “Now, do you have the picture in your mind?” William gave a small nod, “Good. I want you to picture a big shot magician outside the book store.”

William's eyes opened to give me another look, this one suggesting that I was insane. “Why?”

“Just do it. It doesn't have to make sense.” I smacked him lightly on the arm. He closed his eyes again and I waited a moment before asking him if he had it.

“Yeah.” He answered.

“Why is he there?”

“What?” William's eyebrows knitted together, “I don't know, you told me to put him there.”

“No. Why is he there, on that street corner?”

“I don't know...” William trailed off once more, “He's performing for a group of children?”

“Good, now see it.” I waited a second, “Now, what's he doing? Magic-wise, I mean.”

“Pulling a rabbit out of a hat?” William more so asked than stated.

“Every magician can do that, what's this guy's signature act?” I urged.

“I don't see what this has to do with anything.” William complained once more.

“What sets this magician apart from the others?” I repeated, ignoring his murmurs.

“He sets a lid on a flaming bowl, and when he picks up the lid, a dove is there and it flies away.” William said quickly, not seeming to think about it.

“Yay!” I cheered, throwing my hands up in the air, William's eyes flew open.

“What? What's the matter?”

“Nothing is wrong, of course.” I smiled wide, hands on my hips. “You just made up something brilliant.”

“I still don't get this.” He shook his head.

“Imagination makes us infinite, William. Use it, and you won't feel restricted. It's as simple as that.” I said proudly, rocking back on my heels.

“That...” William looked like he was at a loss for words, whether it was in a good or bad way, I wasn't certain. “You're strange.”

“So I've been told.”

“Anyway, I better get back to the shop before dad throws a fit.” William waved, as we walked up the street we ran down and it was time to part ways.

“He doesn't seem the type to throw fits.” I mentioned.

“Why take my chances?” William gave me a crooked smile which I found rather handsome and apologized for not being able to walk me the rest of the way home.

“Finally! She returns!” James and Oliver cheered as I skipped by their house, where they were doing a little yard work for their mom.

“So, how'd it go?” James asked, leaning on the rake, a small pile of leaves by his feet.

“I got the job. And William showed me around a little.” I explained, “I don't know what you're talking about, William isn't dry.” I added.

“Every time we went there, he never really talked. Just grunted price and thank you's.” Oliver put in.

“Not talkative, that man.” James shook his head.

“He talked with me just fine.” I informed them, “We talked about a lot of things.

“Maybe he just fancies you.” Oliver laughed. James, I noticed, did not.

“Or maybe you just caught him in a good mood.” James suggested.

“Whatever it was, he was a nice person to be around.” I said, “Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to at least try to unpack a box tonight.”

“It's almost dinner time, will you be joining us?” Oliver asked as James continued his yard work. I smiled at the thought; big movie stars still doing back breaking chores for their mother and living in her house.

“Uh, no. I don't think so.” I shook my head, “I have to learn to live on my own out here, I can't do that if your mom is constantly preparing my meals.”

“Fair enough.” Oliver nodded, understanding, “Well, have fun unpacking.”

“Ugh, would that I could.” I laughed, giving him a final wave before going to my own house.

I undressed and put on a long pair of navy blue sweat pants and a plain white t-shirt before going through the food supplies and pots and pans set I had purchased before making some Alfredo.

As the water for the pasta sat heating up, I looked through the pictures and picture frames I had packed away to ship here.

Pictures of me and Kelsey, my grandparents, and just miscellaneous friends and weird poses. At each new memory cropping up, I smiled.

I sure missed everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
I couldn't find a clever way to change up that title.
FAILURE!
But, I figured it's a fitting title...
Since the book is about a falling star and well...
Hahahha.

Honestly, I think this chapter (especially the part with Will) is super cheesy and well...
I don't really like it that much.
Whatever.

So, someone said that they like Aline's character...
We'll have to see about that, won't we?
MUAHAHAHAHAH!
Actually, no, I think you'll still like her...
At least I hope you do.

Peace. Love. Weasley.
Sara Michelle.