Blessed With Iridescent Wings

The Faerie Girl

“I walked across an empty land. I knew the pathway like the back of my hand. I felt the earth beneath my feet, sat by the river and it made me complete,” sang a beautiful voice.

A seventeen year old girl was sitting upon the edge of her white wraparound porch. It was summer, July 13th to be exact, and the warmest it had been all vacation. She thanked Merlin for that gentle breeze blowing through her hair and lightly brushed away the bits of sweat hanging from her hairline. Her bangs were swept back from her face with a thin headband while her green eyes peered down the long dirt road extending into her family’s thick forest. The wind, soft and cool, was rattling the thick maple trees, their bright green leaves singing as they brushed against one another.

“Oh simple thing, where have you gone? I'm getting old and I need something to rely on. So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin.”

Her song travelled through her house, the thick forest and through the fields out back. Cheri Walden looked up from her lavished garden hidden behind the back of their home. A tranquil smile slipped over her lips and that stress that had been biting at her shoulders had seemingly vanished, at least until her daughter finished her song. Her dark orbs peered back down at the flower in her hand and returned to replanting the pink geranium. Above her shoulder floated a brilliantly bright green orb. Its glow cast shadows upon the garden as it bobbed up and down and up and down until it settled peacefully upon its Mistress’ shoulder.

“I came across a fallen tree. I felt the branches of it looking at me. Is this the place we used to love? Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?”

Inside the old Victorian house sat James Walden hidden deep within their basement. Despite the horror of the old Muggle war movie upon his large television, he couldn’t stop that peaceful look from gracing his face. His eyes seemed to cloud as he lost himself in the gentle hum of his daughter. The sounds of the bloody screams and explosions bounced of the surround sound in the basement but they were far from heard. Even the ball of grey light hovering above the coffee table struggled to pay attention to the moving pictures his Master so adored.

“Oh simple thing, where have you gone? I'm getting old and I need something to rely on. So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin.”

Lianna Walden released a light sigh as her song came to an end and the last of her voice drifted behind the house and into the forest. The wind had come to a slow stop allowing the humid July air to breech her skin and cause multiple sweat beads to dribble down her face. With a tired hand she brushed them away, slipping off the porch and to her feet.

Before her the forest looked so cool, so comforting. The shadows of the trees lingered upon driveway causing the path to appear dark and eerie. Gathering the old pair of flip flops upon the porch, Lianna slipped them on and wandered down her seemingly endless driveway. Behind the young witch followed a beautiful white ball of light, its glow lighting the bare earth below. It followed her tentatively as Lianna entered the cool, summer forest, zooming after the tall female’s long strides.

“You should be packing,” said the ball of light, “You’re leaving soon, aren’t you?”

Lianna simply shrugged and continued to make her way along the edge of the driveway. The tiny ball released a huff of air and hurried to her Mistress’ side.

“We are coming with you, right?”

The young girl halted and turned to the white orb. Inside the ball of glowing light was a tiny woman. Her skin was a sickly pale blue, cold to look at and cold to touch. Her eyes were a brilliant green that stood out profoundly upon the fair skin. Upon her head was a nest of fiery red hair that had been tamed just enough to be placed into its usual ponytail. Her thin build was clad in an armoured bra and bottoms.

“Obviously you’re coming with me,” Lianna replied, smiling as the Faerie hovered in front of her face. The long feathered wings coming from the tiny woman’s back resembled an eagle’s and made such a wonderful fan, “What makes you think you weren’t?”

The Air Faerie shrugged, “I don’t know. Turnox was talking about it the other night. He thought you weren’t going to need us at Hogwarts.”

Dramatically, Lianna sighed, her pale green eyes rolling, “Laticia, of course I’ll need you. You’re all coming with me.”

With a high pitched giggle, Laticia raced forward down the path. Lianna, who couldn’t seem to wipe the smile off her face, busied herself with watching the silent forest surrounding them. If she looked closely enough she could see things no other Muggle could. Being a witch by birth she already saw the hidden world of magic but being a Faerie Master she saw what many others only dreamed of seeing. To her left she saw a beautiful nature Faerie sitting on an old toadstool, primping herself with the aid of the small puddle below. Above her, nearly hidden by the thick tree branches, she could see an odd Faerie of the Air humming to the wind, dancing as it tried to singing through the trees.

Laticia turned when she realized her Mistress had stopped walking. She had never seen a human so in touch with the magic of nature. It was a pretty sight, a wondrous sight but odd for the age she was at. Lianna listened more but only when she was alone. When she was alone she saw what everyone simply walked by but when she was with her friends, with her family, Lianna was a normal seventeen year old girl and the thought that she was a true Faerie Master never crossed her mind.

Lianna released a loud yawn. They had walked for only about 5 minutes now but already the thick humid air was bristling her skin and causing her breathing to deepen. It was far too hot to be outside. She turned to Laticia but the Air Faerie seemed to be daydreaming. Giggling to herself, Lianna turned and began to walk back to the house.

“Zere you are!” shouted a soft voice. Standing at the front of their porch was her mother, Cheri. She appeared tired with dark bags hanging under her chocolate coloured eyes. Blonde pieces of hair were falling from the sloppy bun hanging at the base of her neck and smears of dirt were plastered over her face. In her delicate hands were the pink pair of gardening gloves Lianna had gotten her for her birthday just months ago.

“Hello Mama!” Lianna called with a furious wave.

Cheri returned the gesture with a gentle smile while the glowing green ball above her shoulder floated towards Laticia. The Air Faerie greeted the Nature Faerie with a strained smile. She didn’t exactly enjoy Corgot’s company. He was a rude and boastful creature that only got along with Mrs. Walden. He was also not the best to stare at with a body of wiggling green larva that had been encased inside thick limbs and two strong wings made of pure tree bark.

“I want you to finish packing, mon petit lapin,” said Cheri, “We are leaving soon.”

“I know, I know,” Lianna muttered as she followed her mother up the front stairs and into the house, “Mama?”

“Oui?” Mrs. Walden asked as she kicked her sandals off and wandered into her white kitchen. Corgot, her Faerie, had disappeared up the stairs. He didn’t like his Mistress very much when she was cooking. Cheri seemed to get too engrossed in her creations and would completely forget about him. Last time she had nearly hit him with a spatula.

Lianna followed suit and kicked those worn flip flops from her feet. Standing outside the large kitchen archway, she watched as her mother wandered around gather bread and butter and lunchmeats to make quick sandwiches before they head to the airport. Her father had wanted desperately to fly the Muggle way.

“Um?” Lianna paused. She wasn’t sure how to bring this up. Last night she had, her mother had sent her to her room in a huff. It was topic she was curious about but a topic no one was willing to speak of. “Mama? What’s this Order you and Daddy are in?”

There was no yelling, no sharp remark and sometimes Lianna was sure that was the worst.

“Do not worry yourself, Lianna, it is none of your concern,” muttered her mother as she gathered a few glass plates from the glass cabinet above.

“But -”

“Lianna, didn’t I tell you to go and pack?”

“Right...”

Knowing she’d never get a straight answer, Lianna decided it was best to follow her mother’s orders and finish shoving her remaining clothes into her trunk. Hurrying up the stairs, Lianna turned to the first door on the right and wandered inside. The second she stepped in, she was bombarded by an a thick silence, an odd thing for her room. Cautiously she gazed around the area and found six glowing orbs of light settled amongst the messed up white comforter upon her wooden bed.

“You five are awfully quiet,” Lianna breathed, slipping her hand behind her back to grab her wand out of her jean shorts pocket.

“We are concerned,” spoke haunting voice. The owner was Suane, the calmest of her Faerie horde.

“Concerned?” asked the girl, peering down at the Light Faerie. She was a ghostly woman with ash coloured skin and pupil-less eyes. Her body was draped in a glorious yellow robe with a matching headpiece holding up her long lavender coloured hair.

“Yes,” answered another voice, one that always sounded as though she was speaking through water. It made it difficult to understand her some days.

“Well what about?”

The water speaker, Oceana, was an exotic beauty with blue scales for skin and large eyes like a fish. Her body was wrapped in a golden silk and her translucent wings fluttered gently as she stood.

“If we are to be going with you, Lianna, will we be allowed to flutter or are we to be kept hidden?”

Lianna smiled softly at Oceana, “My parents told me you’re allowed to flutter basically anywhere you want but not in the other houses, only the one I’ve been placed in.”

The Water Faerie seemed pleased and decided since they were leaving soon that she wanted to go see the pond about 10 minutes away. She did reside there most of the day and would miss it when she was gone. The remainder of the Faeries kept silent and watched as the Lianna began to flick her wand, gathering pieces of crumpled clothing from the floor and tossing them into the open blue truck at the foot of her bed.

“Are you looking forward to London?”called Suane’s voice. She always sounded like the wind, like there was a song to her words.

“A little bit,” replied Lianna as she shoved her head into her small closet, debating on what else she should take, “I don’t really want to go...”

“But it is a must,” said the Light Faerie, “You will be safer there.”

Lianna shrugged, “Probably.”

“But you will miss home?”

Tossing a pair of black shorts into the truck, Lianna released a little laugh, “Well don’t you all miss your home? It’s kind of the same thing.”

“I guess,” muttered Laticia as she fluttered towards the window. With a flick of her wand, Lianna opened it, allowing the Faerie to flourish in the fresh air. “I’ve never had much want to stay in ZanZarah. I would’ve left long ago if I had been able too.”

There was a scoff, a snooty sound from the green glow at the edge of the bed. Blumella, the first Faerie Lianna had ever made contact with, was never the most humble of the horde. She was a narcissistic beauty that cared more for her looks than any of her team. With porcelain skin and dark black eyes Blumella had a piecing gaze. Her hair, dark as night, was always fluffed and held in a high ponytail while her thin body was clothed in a skimpy green dress made out of leaves. Her wings, out of everyone’s, were Lianna’s favourite. They were gorgeous yellow butterfly wings that never seemed to dull.

“You could’ve left just as I did,” spoke Blumella, “But you were a little too weak to cross the border yourself. Don’t deny it.”

“Blu...” Lianna called, her soft voice suddenly sharp and cold, “Don’t start this again. We’re leaving in a couple hours and I don’t need you two starting a fight on the plane.”

“I’m just stating the truth, Lianna, no need to get cross.”

Laticia only rolled her eyes. It was just easier not to retort. Instead she explained she wanted to see the forest one last time and disappeared with a quick flutter of her wings. With a silence passing over, Lianna spent the rest of her time cleaning her room and gathering paraphernalia that she didn’t want to leave behind.

It wasn’t like she’d never be coming home but it defiantly wouldn’t for awhile. Hogwarts’ was going to be her home for the year and after that she was free to do what she wanted. She was already of age and once she graduated, she had her whole life ahead of her.

Well, at least she thought she did.
♠ ♠ ♠
When I first began writing this was my very first fanfic. I decided to revamp it and see how it would fair published. I hope it is up to standards and I would love any comments.

It should be stated that the "Faeries" are from a long time favourite game, ZanZarah and in a sense this a form of a crossover.

The song is Somewhere Only We Know by Keane