Blessed With Iridescent Wings

The Sorting Hat

I’m seventeen, Lianna kept telling herself, I’m seventeen and I’ve gone to school multiple times so why in Merlin’s name am I freaking out so much. She had told herself before that she didn’t care which house she was placed in, in fact, she had frankly stated that she barely wanted anything to do with school. That had been at the beginning of summer. That had been before she met the Weasley twins.

Now every little piece of her wanted desperately to be placed in Gryffindor. She told herself it was simply because she was used to being with them every day and suddenly tearing that out of her life would be dangerously frustrating and lonely. The other part sang a quiet song that said it was just because she wanted to be closer to Fred. It was because that damn little crush hadn’t suffocated itself yet and Fred, well Fred had done something so bold it had seemed to ignite into a never ending blaze.

A dumb smile had slipped over her plump lips, her thin fingertips gently tugging at them as she was lost in a happy thought.

He had kissed her.

He had kissed her.

He had kissed her.

A childish giggle fell from her lips, disappearing with the sound of gentle waves brushing against the wooden boat’s side. There was a small grouping of children in the boat with her, three of them, all first years wrapped in black robes as they nervously waited for the Sorting. The lake they floated across was a pristine black, reflecting the glorious night sky. Millions of white stars sparkled. They reminded her of home for a moment, reminded her of her small town and how much she missed her friend’s backyard bonfires.

Lianna released a sigh, her green eyes drifting away and back towards the extravagant castle high above them. Lights filled the many windows and she wondered which one her room would be in.

“Hello,” A voice spoke. Shaken out of her thoughts, she found one of the first years peering at her, “Why are you in the boat with us? You’re way too big to be a first year.”

She giggled. He was tiny for his age, skinny with large eyes and messy brown hair.

“I’m from Canada,” Lianna explained, shifting upon the wooden seat, “My family moved here so I transferred.”

“Huh,” He frowned as though he was expecting some glamorous tale like she had been expelled from her previous school, “What year are you in then?”

“Seventh.”

“Huh,” His hands shuffled in his lap, his large eyes blinking, “My name’s Thomas Chasing but I like to be called Tom.”

“I’m Lianna Walden, Tom,” A gentle smile slipped across her face, “Are you excited to be sorted?”

“Not really,” Tom replied. The young girl beside him with large glasses and mousy brown hair looked over. She appeared to be quivering as she clung tightly to her robe. The wind upon the black lake was cold, “Are you?”

“Oh no,” Lianna said with a laugh, “I’m kind of terrified actually.”

“Da wants me in Ravenclaw,” Tom explained, “Just like me mum but I’m not smart enough for that.”

“No?” Lianna frowned, “You look pretty smart to me.”

“Do you think you’ll be in Ravenclaw?”

A loud laugh, one she was certain all the other boats could hear, broke the quiet night air, “No, not at all. I’m definitely not smart enough for that house. My dad was in Hufflepuff when he was sorted. I figure I’m going to go there...”

“Mine too,” squeaked a tiny voice. It had been the mousy haired girl, the little one with pigtails and quivering lips. She was absolutely freezing.

“You too,” asked Lianna, “Where do you want to be, darling?”

“Hufflepuff just like my Papa,” She pushed a few pieces of stray hair behind her ears, “Is that where you want to be?”

“Well,” Lianna followed the little girl’s lead and began to fuss over her long locks. The wind, cool and strong, had tousled her deep brown hair into a mess behind her back. Flagwin, who had still been hiding at the base of her neck, rubbed against her hands when she brushed by him, “I actually really want to be in Gryffindor.”

“Gryffindor?” It was a boy with black hair, sharp eyes and ears too big for his head. He was sitting at the head of the boat and had been listening in since the strange 7th year began speaking, “Why would you want to be in Gryffindor?”

He looked like an angry child, the one that would threaten to throw up if he didn’t get his way. Lianna frowned as the boy turned, his eyes filled with annoyance.

“I have a few friends in Gryffindor, hon. I would prefer to be with them.”

He scoffed, “Like who?”

“Fred and George Weasley,” She breathed.

The kid grinned, “Weasley? Hah! Dad says their family is full of blood traitors -”

“Yeah, well you’re father -¬” Lianna stopped herself. She wasn’t exactly certain if snarling at an 11 year old about his blood crazy father was exactly the right thing to do. She settled with warning him, “Hon, I wouldn’t be running my mouth much about the Weasleys. There are quite a few people who are willing to put you in your place, understand?”

Michael released a huff of air, “Whatever.”

Tom was laughing, grinning as the 7th year turned back to him, “Ignore Michael, Lianna. He’s an idiot. My Da says his father’s just trying to suck up to the Minister.”

“Your Dad?” Michael scoffed, “He’s a no name farmer. I can have my father wipe your father’s land out with just one letter -”

“Yeah?” Tom hissed, leaping to his feet. His tiny build barely made a move at rocking the boat, “Try it you dirty sod!”

“Okay, okay,” Lianna muttered, gently pulling Tom back down by the bottom of his robe and shooting Michael a rather cross look, “Calm down both of you because I don’t want to have to fish one of you out of the water, understand?”

“Yes Lianna,” muttered the Chasing boy, moving from his seat and plopping right down beside Lianna. He was staring at his hands, embarrassed. Lianna patted his knee affectionately and when she went to turn to Michael, the angry boy had already turned back around to peer longingly at the castle up ahead.

“My Mama works at St. Mungo’s,” the little girl muttered. She had curious eyes, happy ones that hadn’t seemed fazed by the recent row, “She’s a healer.”

Lianna smiled down at her, “Is she now? My mom is an Obliviator. Being a healer must be very interesting. Does she tell you a lot of stories?”

“Oh yes!”

And so the little girl, whom Lianna found out later was named Josie Matthews, told her all the wonderful tales of how her mother had saved so many peoples’ lives. Lianna nodded happily throughout and told her how her close friend Kaleb was going to be a healer one day (if he got his act together that was). They talked for what seemed like forever with little Tom Chasing jumping in every now and again. Michael, who Lianna had tried to get speaking, sat at the front of the boat pouting, ignoring every attempt the girl had made.

Time seemed to fly as Lianna busied herself with the delighted questions of the tiny 11 year olds and she forgot, for a moment, about the Sorting. She even forgot why her lips were tingling until she reached up to touch them and remembered Fred. Her face flushed in an instant and Tom, who had been peering at her, saw the red in the lantern light. He asked if she was alright and Lianna took the moment to motion towards an opening in the cliff. They appeared to be drifting towards it.

Floating through overhanging vines, Lianna had a moment to herself as the suddenly excited children gaped at the underground harbour. They were right beneath the castle, or so she expected.

She thought of Fred in her free moment and began to overanalyses like she always did and wondered if he had only kissed her to get her to calm down. Maybe he only did it because he saw how scared she was and wanted to take her mind off of the Sorting. Lianna released a loud groan and ran her hands though her once perfect hair. No matter how many times she had tried, there was no possible way of taming it until she was inside the castle and out of the wind.

Then, as Fred drifted for a slight moment, thoughts of black and yellow took over and she saw herself being place at the Hufflepuff table all alone. She thought of how all these students had known each other for 7 years and how she, the strange new girl, would have to try and befriend them.

Another groan fell from her lips.

“Watch your step,” Professor Grubbly-Plank spoke, “Careful now!”

The boat had finally docked and Michael had stepped off first, hurrying in a huff to stand beside a few others boys Lianna assumed were his friends. Josie went next, followed by Tom and when Lianna went to step out the dark eyed boy offered her his hand.

“Aren’t you sweet,” She breathed, trying to keep her fingers from quivering as black and yellow banners fluttered about her brain.

Grubbly-Plank had gone off, her wand in hand as she barked for the tired first years to follow. Lianna stood behind, watching as the swarm of tiny robe covered bodies followed from the pebbly floor, hurrying until they finally reached a wet, dewy glass. Lianna shifted, the cool wet was slipping through the bottom of her shoes. She probably should’ve bought new flats before she had left but had told her mother they were fine. These were favourites after all.

The large Hogwarts castle shadowed over them until they reached a thin flight of stairs and Grubbly-Plank began pounding at the large door at the top. It opened in a near instant but the figure standing before them was shadowed by the light behind her. Lianna assumed it was a her because of the thin figure.

“Got your first years, Minerva.”

“Thank you, Wilhelmina,” said the woman, her voice stern and sharp. She turned to the first years, “Come along, follow me.”

Towering over the short children, Lianna followed the Professor, who she found out later was named McGonagall, into a large front entrance that could surely fit her own house. Loud chatter was coming from the side, from another large wooden door. She assumed that was where the remainder of the school was situated.

Professor McGonagall, a tall woman with her black hair pulled back tightly at the base of her neck, was dressed in emerald robes with a tall pointed hat. She was a strict woman, one who didn’t tolerate stupidity or silliness. Lianna wondered how the twins fared with her.

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” Professor McGonagall spoke, “Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates but before you take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while you're here your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour.”

Lianna shifted in her shoes, the wetness distracting her for a moment until she felt a nervous hand grasp her cloak. Looking down she found Josie, eyes locked to the intimidating McGonagall. Lianna placed a gently hand upon the girl’s head.

“The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.”

A soft nervous chatter began to flow throughout the first years in waves. Lianna had moved to shuffle with her hair, flipping at her bangs and running hands through the knots. Flagwin, who had been dozing off, released a snort that only his Mistress heard when she accidently nudged him. She muttered a nearly silent apology and moved to the base of her locks. Hoping to gather any loose mascara, Lianna ran a thin finger underneath her eyes.

“Um,” Josie began to tug on the tall 7th year’s robe. Lianna gazed over to see that the girl had taken her pigtails out and was looking quite nervously as she offered up her small elastics. A bright smile broke over the 17 year old’s face and motioning for Josie to turn, began to fix the mousy hair into rather perfect, if she could say so for herself, ponytails.

“Excuse me,” came another soft voice. It was a girl with blonde hair also holding out a single ribbon, “Can you help?”

“Course hon,” Lianna breathed. The little girl explained her name was Marie. She’d be sorted into Ravenclaw a few minutes later.

Another girl came and Lianna fixed the knot at the base of her scalp while a little boy with out of control rooster hair stood looking rather sheepishly in front of her. Lianna grinned and began to run her hands through the black mess.

“Very handsome,” She breathed, after she had spiked the middle into a near perfect fohawk. He turned red, giggled a little then rushed off back to a boy he had apparently made friends with.

McGonagall, who had disappeared into the hall, returned, a rolled up parchment in hand, “We are ready for you.”

Steering the few girls who had asked for her help in front of her, Lianna hung back watching as the large Great Hall doors were pushed opened. A string of gasps flew about the small crowd, Lianna included. There didn’t appear to be a ceiling but she than remembered Hermione muttering something about it being bewitched. The beautiful night sky, sprinkled with stars hung above them. Clouds looked to be rolling from the west and just below the magnificent ceiling floated hundreds of bewitched candles, lighting up the large hall. Four long tables ran towards the end, each filled to the brim with chattering students. The head table, which supported all the professors, was seated neatly in the back, facing their pupils.

Lianna was too nervous to notice any of them. Her pale eyes were locked upon the stool just below the head table, a worn and torn hat upon it. She could feel the gazes of most of the school, each and every pair of eyes wondering why this girl, who was clearly not a first year, was coming to be sorted. There was a bit of cheering to the side. Lianna’s head snapped over to see Fred and George hooting. Her face flushed and a gentle laugh flew from her plump lips.

To her surprise, the hat began to sing and as the group of first years stood before it, she found herself ignoring the sound. Her mind was twisting and turning and she looked about each table. The hall was curiously watching the odd girl and in a nervous tick she began to fluff her hair again.

“When I call your name,” Professor McGonagall spoke. Lianna hadn’t even realized the hat had finished its song, “you will come forth, you shall place the Sorting Hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses.”

Lianna took a deep breath.

“Anderson, Kyle.”

A cheeky looking boy with a big nose and pretty green eyes hurried to the front with a swagger Lianna could only see Kaleb Snow holding. He placed the hat on with a grin, the worn looking rag falling straight over his eyes. His smile never faded.

“GRYFFINDOR!” shouted the hat.

The Gryffindor table exploded with applause and cheers. Kyle removed the hat off happily, rushing over to sit at the end. Lianna had to smile. The young boy was still beaming and beaming so hard she was sure his cheeks hurt.

“Baker, Beatrice,” was a pale girl sent straight to Ravenclaw, “Baker, Ben,” Beatrice’s twin brother followed right behind.

“Chasing, Thomas.”

Lianna gave him a large smile, one she was trying so hard to hold, as the young boy looked back at her. Tom wandered towards the hat, nervously placed it upon his head and they waited.

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Various names followed including the few little girls Lianna had helped as well as the boy with the fohawk, who happily rushed to Hufflepuff. Josie Matthews was next and as she sat upon the stool, the wee thing began to chew upon her bottom lip.

“HUFFLEPUFF!”

She raced off with a smile Lianna hoped to bare in the next couple minutes. Michael, the snippy boy in the boat, was placed in Slytherin. His last name had been Moore. Lianna could feel her heart pounding against her chest and her hands began to sweat. Names were called and houses were screeched and suddenly she was the only new arrival standing in front of the hat.

“Walden, Lianna,” spoke Professor McGonagall. She didn’t need to read off the piece of parchment and had begun to roll it up.

With what Lianna hoped was gracefully, she wandered towards the stool. The hat, which had fallen over nearly every first year’s eyes, sat perfectly upon her head. She seated herself upon the stool, a little bit too small for her and waited. Lianna could hear her heart pounding in her ears.

“Ah!” She jumped at the tiny voice in her ear, “A seventh year and a Walden at that. Been a while since I’ve sorted one of you.”

She gulped.

“Hmm, what a mischievous mind you have, cunning,” She heard the hat chuckle, “But plenty of loyalty just like all the other Walden’s before you. Hufflepuff would do you good -”

Oh Merlin no, Lianna’s mind screamed.

“No?”

Please be Gryffindor, she thought, please let me be in Gryffindor. Her eyes had clenched shut, her hands gripping to her cloak and wrinkling the dark fabric.

“Gryffindor?” asked the hat, “Now that is an interesting thought; brave and bold. Hmm, you have a great mind, a brave one that would be honed quite well in -”

Lianna thought she was going to pass out.

Please, please, please -

“- GRYFFINDOR!”

A large breath of relief fell from her lips and with shaking hands she removed the Sorting Hat, not before thinking an billion ‘thank you’s in her head. The table on the far left, a red and gold banner over top, burst into a loud string of cheers. Lianna couldn’t hear them though, she was too busy trying to make her way over and stop her weak legs from giving out.

Two tall redheads were standing up, cheering and catcalling as she slipped towards them. Lianna fell in between the two twins, releasing such a cry of relief she buried her head in her hands. Fred’s heavy arm had wrapped around her shoulder, pulling her into his side.

“I knew it!” He cheered.

“Pay up!” George taunted to Lee, who across the table. The dark skinned boy scoffed and began digging through his pockets.

“Congrats!” sang a girl next to Lee. She was of Indian descent, beautiful and grinning. Lianna smiled her way, a tired one that only grew when she realized where she was sitting.

“You’re shaking,” Hermione Granger cried, just a little ways from Lee. Even she had a brilliant smile upon her lips, “Congratulations Lianna. We all knew you’d be sorted here.”

George scoffed, “I did. You thought she’d be in ickle Hufflepuff.”

Hermione glared, “I said there was a chance. I never said she wouldn’t be in -”

Lianna gave George a large smile and he, in turn, returned it. Slowly, she looked over to Fred who was beaming down at her. A wink was sent her way and Lianna looked away quickly, giggling and flushing a bright red as she remembered that kiss.

“To our newcomers,” spoke a booming voice. Lianna peered over, heart still racing, to see Dumbledore, dressed in grand robes, standing with his arms wide open, “welcome! To our old hands – welcome back! There is a time for speech making, but this not it. Tuck in!”

Suddenly, the wooden table, covered with beautiful golden cutlery and plates, was filled to the brim with a glorious feast that travelled straight down towards the end. The remaining four tables followed with applause as food appeared out of thin air and Dumbledore took a seat.

“This is amazing!” Lianna gushed, reaching for a bun that sat right in front of her.

Lee peered at her with a confused gaze, “Nothing like this happened where you’re from.”

Lianna had told him multiple times on the train the name of her old school. Lee constantly forgot it.

“No!” She cried, lifting her plate as Fred offered to plop a spoonful of mashed potatoes on it, “We were given vouchers for the cafeteria. We just went in and picked up a meal whenever we wanted dinner, mind you between 5 and 8, but it nothing like this!”

“Your old school sounds dreadful!” Lee cried.

“We had good hamburgers,” She said with a laugh, reaching for another buttered bun.

Teasingly, the boy across from her looked horrified, “Blimey you’ve been deprived!”

“So I’ve been told,” Lianna beamed, grinning when George dropped a pork culet upon her plate.

“Where are you from?”

Lianna looked up to see the girl beside Lee. Her brown eyes were staring at her curiously, a fork held carefully in her hand as she waited for the new girl to speak. Lianna felt Flagwin shift about her neck but he never moved far. She assumed he went back to sleep.

“SHSA,” Lianna said with a smile, “You probably never heard of it.”

She grinned, “I haven’t. It’s in Canada, I assume.”

“Yeah, hidden away in the bush,” Lianna laughed, “No one knows about it. Only one so far has been Hermione but well she knows everything so she doesn’t really count.”

“She is a little bit of a know-it-all,” Hermione shot the girl a dark look and she in turn, grinned, “Joking, Hermione. I’m Alicia by the way.”

“Lianna but you knew that – Hey! Stop you two. I’m not going to eat this all.”

Fred and George had been continuously throwing food upon her plate. It looked like a mountain of potatoes and beans and pork and chicken and bread. She frowned. Fred moved to place another wallop of potatoes when she pulled her plate away. Apparently they were trying to make up for all the feasts she had missed back in Canada.

“Stop! I won’t be able to eat all this!”

Fred scoffed, “Don’t lie, Anna. I’ve seen you demolish a whole chicken before.”

“A whole chicken!” She grinned, dropping her plate down and shoving the ladle away when he tried to throw the potatoes on. She didn’t notice George dropping another spoonful of carrots, “Whose lying now?”

He grinned, he grinned that mischievous grin and Lianna felt her heart begin to race. Lianna shoved the boy and Fred, well Fred laughed loudly and managed to get another wallop of mashed potatoes back upon her plate.

“STOP!”

Lianna had managed to demolish the entire plate much to the twins delight. Alicia and Angelina Johnson, who had been introduced to the new girl awhile ago, found it just amusing and where laughing quite loudly as the girl began to eyeball the rich chocolate cake just down the table.

“Where does it all go?” George cried, “Look at you!”

“It just disappeared,” Fred gasped, poking at her sides. Lianna released a loud squeal as his fingers dug in near her ribs. He had found out in the middle of the summer that Lianna Walden was a highly ticklish girl, especially near her stomach.

“Stop,” She said with a snicker. Fred didn’t bother listening, “Fredrick Weasley, would you -”

“Good evening, children!” Dumbledore had stood, causing an instance silence and a relief to pass over Lianna. She enjoyed every bit of attention Fred gave her but when it came to him and the ability to breath, she chose breathing, “Now we have two new changes in staffing this year. We’re pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who will be teaching Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporarily leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Dolores Umbridge. I’m sure you’ll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. As usual our caretaker Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you -”

There was a little laugh, a sort of call to attention and Lianna found her eyes drifting from Dumbledore straight towards one of the Professors. They were all new to her but Fred muttered the name Umbridge below his breath and she realized who it was. The woman was short and stout and covered in an overabundance of pinks. Even Lianna’s mother, Cheri, wouldn’t go that far.

“Wow...” Lianna muttered to herself, eyes nearly hurting from the excess of the what she assumed was Umbridge’s favourite colour. Even the bag she held and the rather hideous hat upon her mousy coloured hair were pink.

“Thank you, Headmaster,” spoke Umbridge, her voice high and childish. She had stood and began to walk around the teacher’s table to face the student body, the rather silent student body, “for those kind words of welcome and how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me.”

Lianna felt herself look around. There was not a single smiling face; everyone seemed confused and quite taken back by the woman.

“I’m sure we’ll all going to be very good friends.”

The twins snorted, “Not slightly.”

“The Ministry of Magic has always considered that the education of young witches and wizards to be a vital importance,” continued Professor Umbridge, “Although each Headmaster had brought something new to this historic school, progress for progress’ sake must be discouraged. Let us preserve what ought to be preserved, perfect what needs to be perfected and prune practices that out to be prohibited.”

Her laugh, a sort of hem-hem, finished the rather unexpected speech. No one moved, no one said anything until Dumbledore began to clap. The professors followed lead though some only half-heartedly while one or two students clapped in a confused manner.

“Thank you Professor,” Dumbledore said, turning back to his students, “Now as I was saying...”

Lianna looked towards Fred, a rather disgusted look upon her lips and her eyes flaring with an utter bewilderment. He was sharing a rather knowing look with his brother; Lianna assumed the same thoughts were flying throughout both of their heads. Fred gazed down at her a moment later.

“Does that usually happen?” She asked, “I mean Dumbledore doesn’t seem like someone you interrupt.”

“Not normally, Anna,” Fred muttered, ignoring the mention of Quidditch tryouts and the long list of Zonko’s products that were banned from Hogwarts’ walls. Lianna looked back towards the pink woman but found Dumbledore’s speech had ended and the newest Prefects, Ron and Hermione, were getting up to begin leading the first years to their new common room.

She supposed she should’ve gone with them but was quite happy sitting by the twins’ side and watched as little Tom Chasing waved towards her, beside him the cocky boy who reminded her of Kaleb Snow. They both looked rather excited and Lianna, well she couldn’t help but return the same response.
♠ ♠ ♠
Such a simple chapter but I really did enjoy writing it. Hopefully you all enjoyed reading it and were pleased with where Lianna has been sorted :)

Thank you so much to:
Green Raspberries.
gingerpygmypuff
luvergurl010
la dispute.
kitbunny
Taste

for the absolutely inspiring comments :)
And special thank you to Taste for the beautiful story layout!