Blessed With Iridescent Wings

The Walden Family

Molly Weasley peered at the five teenagers waiting curiously around the old kitchen table. Neither of them knew why exactly they had been called from their time-consuming chores nor why Mrs. Weasley was pacing with so anxiously but they couldn’t complain. It was a lot better than scrubbing permanently dirty windows.

“Now,” spoke the older woman, her frizzy red hair pinned behind her ears, “In the next hour or so we will be having guests arrive from Canada and I expect each and every one of you to behave.”

“Guests?” Ron asked, “Why are we just hearing about this now, Mum?”

“It was a last minute decision,” explained Mrs. Weasley, “We weren’t certain they were coming until late last night.”

“They are part of the Order than? Did Dumbledore request them?” came Hermione’s inquisitive voice.

Mrs. Weasley released a light sigh. She was trying her hardest to keep the children in the dark. She didn’t want them being too involved and made sure they knew as little as possible.

“Yes, Dumbledore did request James and Cheri but Arthur has been the one contacting them. James is an old friend of ours. He went to Hogwarts when Arthur and I did.”

Ginny seemed confused, “Why are you telling us this, Mum? I mean we barely see half the people that come in here -”

“I’m telling you because James isn’t just bringing his wife. They have a daughter that will be transferring to Hogwarts’ this year. She’s your age, Fred and George, and I don’t need you two scaring her off!”

“Ah, Mum, we’d never do that,” laughed George.

“Yeah, we’ll take care of her!” snickered Fred.

Their mother rolled her eyes, “That’s what I’m afraid of.”

“I don’t understand,” Ginny spoke, “If she’s Fred and George’s age she’ll be graduating this year? Why aren’t they just leaving her in Canada?”

“The Walden’s are a very close family -”

“Wait, Walden’s... James Walden,” Hermione cut in. Mrs. Weasley turned to her with gentle eyes, “Do you mean the Walden’s? The Faerie Master Walden’s?”

An amused giggle fell from the older woman’s lips as she nodded. Hermione’s eyes lit up while the remainder of the room stared in utter confusion, “Yes, Hermione, these are the Walden’s you are thinking of and to answer you, Ginny dear, the Walden’s are a very close family. Their gift makes them vulnerable and James didn’t want to leave his daughter behind.”

“I don’t understand,” spoke the pretty redheaded 4th year, “What’s their gift?”

“I’m sure Hermione is more than capable of filling your four in. I need to get dinner started and you all need to take a bath. I want you all presentable when they arrive -” Molly turned to her eldest sons, a sharp finger pointed at their beaming faces, “- and just because you two can use magic, it doesn’t mean you need to be popping in and out. I don’t want any surprises, you understand?”

“Course we do, Mum!” sang Fred, “We won’t cause any trouble.”

“You better not! Now hurry along!”

The children quietly began to climb the stairs, not a sound was whispered between them as they hurried to the girls’ room. Passing Walburga Black’s portrait and trying hard not to cause the stairs to creak they made it to the first floor and to the second door on the right.

Still dark and gloomy after days of cleaning, the girls had given up making their summer room lively and settled with the thick fabric curtains that had faded to a pale grey and creaking beds that disappeared under the heavy quilts Molly had brought from the Burrow.

“So who exactly are the Walden’s?” Ginny asked as she made her way to her bed. It sang in near agony as she settled upon it. Her three brothers waited patiently for Hermione to speak, slumping their builds against the faded wallpaper covered walls.

“They’re a group of Faerie Masters,” Hermione spoke, gathering a few pieces of clothing off her bed and tossing them into her open trunk, “You-Know-Who was said to destroy most of them and there are only a few left. The Walden’s are one of the more known families. We learned about them just last year in Professor Binn’s class. It was a small chapter that we were barely tested on.”

“Faeries?” spat Ron, “Those weak little winged creatures we use as decorations at Christmas! Why would anyone want to control one of those?”

The brunette’s eyes rolled, her head shook in annoyance, “Not those types of faeries, Ronald. These are a grouping only found by wizards or witches with the right sight. We would never be able to see them unless they had been tamed and believe me, Ron, I wouldn’t want to upset these faeries. I’ve heard some nasty things about them.”

Ron grumbled something incoherently. It figured Hermione had a retort. She knew everything and that got pretty annoying every once in awhile. His brothers, on the other hand, snickered. It was easy to find amusement when Ron tried to refute Miss. Granger.

Ginny turned to the twins, “And you two didn’t learn anything about these Faerie Masters?”

George shrugged, “Maybe but it was hard to listen in Binn’s class.”

“Fell asleep most of the time,” finished Fred.

“Or skipped,” said George.

Fred nodded, “One or the other.”

Hermione sighed. It was hard to expect much from those two, “Well I suppose we ought to start getting ready than. There are only two working bathrooms after all.”

“I’m taking this one,” Ginny declared as she hurriedly reached for her housecoat. Unfortunately she wasn’t fast enough.

“Two late little sis! We’re already using them,” snickered Fred and before anyone could cause an uproar both twin boys had disappeared with a crack leaving Ron cursing the day they turned 17.

“Hurry, hurry,” Mrs. Weasley cried as she shuffled Ron’s lagging build down the kitchen steps, “They’ll be here any minute!”

----

“Relax Mum,” Ron whined. His mother didn’t listen, instead, she placed him next to his sister and began to flat out the rooster’s nest upon his head. He swatted at her hands until she moved to the twins’ collars.

“C’mon Mum, it’s not like Merlin’s coming to visit,” Fred stressed as Molly began to pick fluff off his shoulder.

“We want to make a good impression, don’t we? James has been friends with your father for years -”

“Ah Molly, you know James won’t care what we look like,” laughed Arthur. He was seated quite happily in one of the many wooden chairs along the long table. “We could be covered in filth and the man -”

Mrs. Weasley scoffed, “It’s not James that I’m concerned about, Arthur.”

“Cheri’s calmed over the years, dear, she shouldn’t be much of a bother -”

Laughter erupted from the stairwell, “I wouldn’t count on that, Arthur! My wife’s still has high strung as ever!”

“Ah! You are too cruel, James Walden,” snarled a delicate French accent, “Zhey do not need to ‘ear such lies before zhey ‘ave met me!”

Ron looked up. A rather large man was wandering down the stairwell, his giant hand using the wall as a balance. Arthur stood in a hurry to greet him.

“James, my old friend!” and the two embraced, laughing happily as they clasped each other tight.

James Walden was a large man with broad shoulders and a thick jaw. His eyes were a deep green and the thinning hair upon his head was a dark chocolate brown. Scruff covered his face and bags hung under his eyes. The flight over had been rough and he was quite certain he did not enjoy what the Muggles called turbulence. Planes were not fun to be in. Dressed in a sharp navy robe, his tanned skin stood out brilliantly.

“Ah Molly! It ‘as been too long!” cried the French female and rapidly Molly was pulled into a tight squeeze, one she never expected to be given from Cheri Walden.

Ron was floored. Cheri was supposed to be his Mum’s age and yet she didn’t look a day over twenty. With flawless skin and silvery blonde hair, the graceful beauty lit up the room. Her eyes were dark, piecing and the rich red robe she had purchased just for this occasion hung on her slender build perfectly.

“How have you been, Cheri?” Molly gasped out, surprised by the welcome.

“I ‘ave been wonderful! It was ‘ard to move but we thought it was what was best, no?” Cheri had a glistening smile, “Oh! ‘ow could I forget! Lianna, Lianna, come ‘ere.”

Fred felt his brother’s elbow hit his side.

“Bloody hell,” whispered the twins as the tall female stepped up beside her mother. She had a thicker build, nothing like her mother’s model-esque form. Lianna was filled out with thick hips, gentle green eyes and long waving hair. It was a dark brown just like her father and by the happy laugh she released when Mrs. Weasley gathered her into her arms, it was clear Lianna took after James.

“Look at you! You’ve grown into such a beautiful woman, Lianna!” Molly cried, releasing the girl to look her over. She was dressed like a Muggle with tight fitting jeans and a pretty white lace tank top. A red sweater, the same colour as her mother’s robe, lay in her arms.

“Thank you, Mrs. Weasley,” Lianna spoke and the five teenagers were surprised to find the only accent she held was Canadian. She didn’t speak in her father’s tongue and she definitely did not speak like her mother. It was refreshing to hear, odd and out of place, but refreshing nonetheless.

“Lianna,” spoke Mrs. Weasley, an excitement singing in her voice, “These are my sons Fred, George and Ron. Over here is my daughter, Ginny and this is Hermione Granger.”

A nervous smile, a worried one slipped over the tall girl’s lips, “Hello.”

Suddenly, before Lianna could even feel the movement, a red ball of light zoomed out from underneath her hair. It fluttered amongst the room in a near panic, bouncing off the walls, flitting to the giant fireplace and soaring towards the cupboards until it settled right in front of Ron Weasley’s face.

“D-Dragon!” Ron chirped while Lianna let out a light sigh.

“Flagwin, you idiot, get over here!”

Flagwin, the Fire Faerie, rapidly soared back to his Mistress. The tiny creature, almost mimicking a miniature Horntail, hovered in front of Lianna’s face, whimpering and moaning. Out of all her Faeries, Flagwin was the one to watch. He behaved more like a pet than Battle Companion and spoke only in grunts and yelps.

Sheepishly, Lianna turned to Ron, “I’m sorry! Flagwin’s just curious. He’d never hurt you.”

“N-No problem!” Ron tried his hardest to act nonchalant but it was clear to his surroundings that he was having a difficult time.

“Now, that you’ve all met,” Arthur Weasley spoke, “Why don’t you show Lianna to her room? She’ll be bunking with you girls.”

“Sure, Dad,” Ginny muttered.

“Go on now,” Molly urged.

They knew why they were being shooed. There was going to be a meeting, probably a quick one to catch the Walden’s up to speed before dinner was served. Hermione took the lead and hurried Lianna up the stairs.

“Try and be quiet when you passing the main floor,” Hermione whispered, “We don’t want to wake Sirius’ Mum.”

“Yeah,” Ginny replied from behind, “Takes forever to get her to shut up.”

“Sirius’ Mom?” Lianna asked as the old stairs beneath her feet creaked and moaned with the constant weight.

“Some old hag in a portrait who doesn’t want us in her house,” said Fred.

George nodded, “Screams like a banshee if you make too much noise.”

“Banshee, eh?” Lianna smiled, “She sure sounds pleasant.”

Ron scoffed, “If you like your ears bleeding maybe.”

A quiet giggle fell from Lianna’s lips. Flagwin seemed amused, though his Mistress was never sure if he really understood the meaning of words, and fluttered about the quiet group of children. When they reached the main floor Hermione put a finger to her lips and motioned Lianna to go up first.

Up the stairs was a large portrait covered by dark curtains. This was surely Sirius’ mother. Quietly she could hear it muttering insults about half-bloods and blood traitors as she passed. Hermione hurried her forward with a soft push of her shoulder when she paused to listen.

“On the right,” Hermione whispered and Lianna slipped in quickly while the grouping behind her followed.

It was a drab room. Defiantly not as bright as the baby blue walls she had at home but it would do. The curtains were dark, the hardwood was faded but the beds seemed homey with brilliant coloured quilts and clean pillows. Flagwin zoomed in past his Mistress, her hair blowing with the force of his wings. The tiny red ball of light soared about the room until he perched himself high at the top of the thick curtains.

“Sorry it’s messy,” apologised Hermione and she began to make her bed, hurriedly shifting pillows and blankets.

“Oh, no, don’t worry about it,” said Lianna, “This is nothing compared to my room back home.”

Hermione held a relieved smile. She was a pretty girl, Lianna thought, who didn’t seem to have to put much effort into her appearance. Her eyes were a warm brown and upon her head was a long wild brown mane that reached her shoulders. Dressed in Muggle clothing, baggy jeans and a simple striped polo, Hermione seemed quite the inquisitive girl.

“Mum will probably bring a bed down after dinner,” came Ginny’s voice, the youngest of the teenagers. She was fair with brown eyes like her mother and pin straight red hair. She was gorgeous with a small build, something Lianna felt envious of, and tiny lips. Clothed in a simple black top and a pair of shorts, Ginny took up residence upon her bed.

Ron, who seemed a little nervous to sit in the same room as Lianna’s little dragon, was an average height. Freckled and red headed like the rest of his family, Ron had deep blue eyes and rather large hands. He seemed like a nervous boy but had a rather adorable face. It was young looking and supported a long nose.

“So tell us,” came a voice on her right. It was one of the twins, Fred to be exact, but Lianna was having issues telling them apart. They were identical, way to identical with tall bodies, long faces and that same head of fiery hair. Their eyes were dark, their skin was pale and both seemed to hold the same mischievous grins.

“Hmm?” Lianna peered up at Fred.

“Where do you come from, Miss. Walden? Salem’s Witches’ Institute?”

“Actually,” said the girl, “I’m from Superior Haunted Shores Academy. It’s a really small school in Canada.”

“Huh,” George spoke, “Never heard of them.”

“Well of course you haven’t,” Hermione breathed, “SHSA is a fairly new school. It’s only about a fifty or so years old.”

“It’s really small,” Lianna repeated, “There’s only about 300 students. A lot of kids get sent to Salem’s Institute instead of SHS, more prestigious and all. I’m surprised you’ve even heard of it.”

“Ah, our Hermione here knows everything,” spoke Fred, a heavy arm draping over the new girl’s shoulders.

George nodded in agreement, “It gets kind of annoying, really, so it’s best just not to ask any questions around her.”

Hermione was less than impressed but with a huff kept her shrill comments to herself. Lianna, on the other hand, nervously giggled at the two large boys beside her. She wasn’t exactly sure what to do. The twins were in her year so she supposed she was meant to befriend them but Hermione was a girl she’d be bunking with for the rest of the summer. Stepping on toes wasn’t something she planned or wanted to do.

“So your Mum’s from France than?” Ginny called, noticing the girl’s discomfort.

“Yeah,” smiled Lianna, trying her hardest to shift Fred’s heavy arm off her shoulders, “Mom went to Beauxbatons Academy and Dad went to Hogwarts.”

Ron seemed pleased, “What house was he in?”

“Uh, Huffle...puff,” Lianna had long ago stopped listening to her father’s pride about his old school. She, herself, had never had much school spirit. It wasn’t exactly her favourite place in the whole world and she preferred the two months of summer she was given.

“Really?” George seemed surprised, “I figured he would’ve been in Gryffindor with Dad.”

“No, I’m sure it was Hufflepuff,” said Lianna, “He talks about the good old days all the time. I’ve recently started tuning it out. It gets pretty annoying.”

Ginny was amused, “So you want to be placed in Hufflepuff then?”

“Honestly,” Lianna looked sheepish, “I don’t even know what the other houses are. I know there are four; I’ve got that much down pat. I think I’ll be happy placed anywhere.”

“There weren’t houses at SHSA?” asked Ginny.

Lianna shook her head, “SHS’ building is basically a Muggle university so we were just separated into the big dorm buildings. When I was in 6th year we shared a dorm with the 5th and 7th years.”

It was quite clear by most of the faces in the room that University wasn’t something they had been informed of.

“What about Quidditch? Who’d you play against if you didn’t have houses?” Ron asked.

“Uh, well,” She shifted. Fred removed his arm, “They had a little league going where you’d just go and sign up and they’d place you into teams. It wasn’t really anything spectacular. No one went to the games.”

George, astonished, spoke, “Wouldn’t even go to cheer ‘em on?”

Lianna’s cheeks flushed lightly, “They were... pretty awful. It was kind of too embarrassing to go watch. I mean there were some really good players but they were kind of held down by the awful ones and there were more awful than good.”

“It seems you’ve been deprived, Miss. Walden!” declared Fred, “We’ll have to fix that this year!”

“Will you now?” laughed the girl, the red in her cheeks subsiding. The twins had both moved to speak when a loud knock seemed to come from their mouths. The three seventeen year olds peered over their shoulder at the door.

“You’re Mum says dinner is ready,” spoke a voice that Lianna recognized as their escort, Tonks. She had gathered them from Heathrow airport with a borrowed Ministry car and Lianna had determined that Tonk wasn’t much of a driver.

Hermione called that they would be just a minute and the new girl gathered her dozing Faerie from the top of the gloomy drapery. After a rather large supper Cheri demanded her daughter get a head start on her sleep and try and get herself turned around as soon as possible. Lianna had no retort and happily curled up in the twin bed Molly brought down from one of the other bedrooms.