Blessed With Iridescent Wings

A Siren's Voice

“So I told him – I told him that he was a dirty sod and if he didn’t get his bloody hands off my girl I’d take that damn drum stick and shove it straight up his ass!” Stephan grinned, his blood shot eyes twinkling “So he threw me into the rubbish bin!”

Laughter erupted. Jerry, the long haired boy, seemed to be having some sort of fit as his forehead plastered itself to the table. It shook, his thin body quivering as screeching laughter poured from his mouth. The sound nearly overthrew the harpy-like Muggle on stage. Trevor, on the other hand, was pounding his filled mug upon the table top, sloshing beer this way and that barely noticing it as it sprayed across his tight t-shirt. Mariah and Lianna were sprouting tears as their two bodies fell against each other, giggling uncontrollably.

Excluding the horrendous singing on stage, Lianna was positive their table was the loudest and if 90 percent of McKellen’s customers hadn’t been sloshed, she was certain there would have been a multitude of dirty looks shot their way.

Mariah had dropped her head upon Lianna’s shoulder, snickering loudly as the drunken girl tried to catch her breath. Both females’ stomachs were cramping from laughing for so long and both couldn’t stop wiping the joyful tears away from the corner of their eyes. Stephan, an absolutely hilarious drunk, had a massive amount of stories that all ended in some form of a catastrophe. Lianna looked around vaguely. The twins were definitely missing out.

“Oh! Oh!” Mariah cried, springing up in her seat, her slender hands slapping the table, “Tell – Tell Anna here ‘bout the time you were at Ryan’s and where - where you found him taking a piss!”

Lianna snickered. Mariah was absolutely plastered. Her hair was hanging wilding strewn about her head and her cheeks matched the gorgeous dress that clung to her build. She kept forgetting about how low-cut the top was and every time she shifted, the neckline seemed to slip down and flash a colourful bra. Lianna took it upon herself to remind her, motioning nearly every 5 minutes to hike up her shirt.

Stephan chuckled, rubbing a large hand over his face, “I think – I think I need another drink first. Anna! Anna! Can – Can you get me one?”

Lianna grinned, “And what do you want, darling? Another Guinness?”

Sweat was pooling along her hairline. She brushed it away, pushing most into her bangs causing her dark hair to stand up awkwardly. The ponytail she had once bore had fallen out, cascading down upon her shoulders in waves. The air had only seemed to get hotter as more and more people crowded and danced and moved amongst the tiny pub.

With his thick eyebrows crunching in thought, Stephan began fishing through his pockets. His forehead creased as he yanked a bundle of bills out. They fell upon the table in a mess. Lianna was nearly positive there was about 50 pounds laying there but Stephan pushed it happily across the table towards her.

“I want another – ‘nother Guinness! And you – you get yerself something too, Anna!”

“Another Guinness it is!” Lianna sang, snatching the multitude of money off the table top and shoving it into her tiny black clutch.

Stephan grinned and suddenly he seemed to notice Jerry’s snickering form quivering beside him. A panic set in when the drunken boy thought he was dying. Rapidly, Stephan began shaking Jerry, only causing the table to laugh louder. Lianna left giggling as she stumbled through a thick crowd of people. One man, assumedly in his late twenties with soft brown hair, nearly fell into the young witch but she gathered his shoulder with strong hands, beaming.

“Okay there?” She teased, shifting him back to his feet.

A lazy smile slid over his lips, “Thanks sweetheart! Can – Can I buy you a drink?”

Lianna smiled softly, “Aren’t you sweet, but I think I’m alright.”

“B-But -” His lazy look slumped. His eyes were clouded and red from the alcohol and his lips, once beaming, dropped into a frown.

She winked, “I don’t think my boyfriend would like it so much.”

“O-Oh!” and he clapped her on the shoulder, “Lucky bloke!”

“Thank you!” She replied, her voice jumping at the sudden onslaught of chatter around them. He patted her shoulder once again, humming to himself as he wandered towards the middle of the room. She watched him go for a moment, giggling when he stumbled and apologised to the girl he bumped into. Turning, Lianna continued to shove her way towards the busy bar.

----
Fred Weasley was easy to spot. His bright red hair and height gave him away. Standing and most likely charming the curly haired barkeep, he motioned for a new beer. His brother, George, was nowhere in sight. Lianna wandered up, stumbling in her heels. Her feet weren’t so much hurting her but the couple drinks she was already in made walking more of a challenge.

Lianna slipped a hand up Fred’s arm. He turned, a brilliant grin written across his face.

“Having fun?” She asked. The blonde behind the counter handed him off another pint before she was called to the other end to take care of a rather sloppy girl asking for a shot.

“This is brilliant!” beamed Fred, “Did I ever tell you how bloody amazing you are?”

Lianna released a bark of a laugh, “No, I don’t think you have.”

“Well you’re bloody amazing!” and he grabbed his pint, taking a swig. An unfamiliar barkeep wandered up. He was older with a bit of fair scruff along his jaw and wrinkles riddling his forehead.

“What can I get yah, love?”

“A pint of Guinness and a Purple Rain,” Lianna relayed, beaming when Fred offered her a sip of his beer. The ‘sip’ turned into quite a large gulp that caused the Weasley boy to release a loud, teasing cry.

“I said a sip!” He was chuckling, watching as the tall girl cautiously peered up at him with dancing eyes. The Guinness and the mixed drink Lianna ordered were placed upon the counter beside them.

A playful frown slipped over her plump lips. She handed back his glass, “I’m sorry, I’ll make it up to you!”

Fred’s right eyebrow rose, “Will you now?”

She turned to the barkeep, happily raising two fingers into the air, “And two vodka shots!”

“Comin’ right up!”

Sure enough, two pretty shot glasses were placed in front of them. The bartender returned with a rich bottle of vodka and with a skill only an experienced drinker owned, he topped the glass off perfectly. Lianna picked hers up, turning to Fred with a beam. The redhead followed suit.

“Cheers!”

With a quick clink of their glasses the clear liquid was downed. Neither made a motion of discomfort as the alcohol traveled down their throats. The glasses were slapped down upon the counter, payment following soon after.

“So where’s Georgie?” Lianna teased, grabbing the Purple Rain she ordered only moments ago. It was a good chaser and has such a brilliant taste.

Fred, with a quick flick of his head, motioned to the left. Sure enough, as Lianna peered around the tall boy, she saw his mirror image standing beside that tiny fiery red head named Hannah. Hannah, who had downed far more drinks than Lianna and Mariah, was clearly talking nonsense as George watched her in a confused amusement. Beside him on the bar was a half finished beer and an empty mug that the curly barkeep quickly grabbed to toss into the sink.

Hannah, who Lianna was certain was close to getting kicked out, slapped a hand on the wooden counter and another pint quickly rolled up.

Lianna’s mouth was agape, “How many beers has she bought him already?”

“Dunno,” Fred muttered, gulping down a large sip of his ale, “But she just keeps ordering pint after pint.”

“George is gonna be sloshed.”

“Already is,” laughed his brother.

The brunette and the redhead both slowly turned to peer at each other. There was a form of realization in each others’ eyes and suddenly, in an eerie motion, both spoke in sync.

“We need to catch up!”

Fred shuffled through his pockets, grabbing a few bills and motioning the older barkeep over, “Two more shots!”

“Vodka?”

Lianna cut in before the boy could agree, “No, tequila!”

“Right away, love!”

A salt shaker and two perfectly cut lime wedges were placed before the two. Fred eyed the mess, picking up the shaker and waving it about. Lianna watched with a grin, calmly placing her chaser down.

“What the bloody hell do you do with this?”

Fred allowed the girl to take the salt shaker from his hands. Her eyes danced with a mixture of amusement, joy and clearly the fuzzy nature of too much alcohol. She shot him a lazy grin as the barkeep filled two tiny glasses with a golden liquid.

“You lick,” Lianna said, dragging her tongue along the back of her hand, a tiny patch of skin between her thumb and index finger. Salt followed, sprinkled in the same area. She handed off the shaker, motioning for Fred to follow suit, “Than you take the shot and then suck on the lime. Got it?”

Fred nodded. Lianna licked her hand, the taste of salt singing in her mouth before tossing back the tequila. Quickly, the lime was shoved between her lips. Fred fell just behind, chuckling as the girl smiled, a mouth full of green shining his way. Mimicking the motion the two laughed together before spitting the lime out, grabbing their spare drinks and chasing the burning liquid down.

Behind them came George, strolling over as the little Hannah stumbled past. She was beaming at the tall redhead while carefully cradling her drink in her chest. Lianna didn’t watch but she was certain the girl went back to Mariah, taking up the seat Lianna had once resided in. The Canadian ordered another drink with a giggle as the Guinness meant for Stephan sat quietly, completely forgotten about.

“Aren’t you special tonight?” She teased, motioning to the empty Purple Rain glass when the bartender asked what she wanted. “Look at all those empty mugs!”

George beamed, “Did even better than you, Walden?”

“Better than me?” She snorted, “The night’s still young, darling.”

“5 pints, Walden! I’d like to see you beat that!”

Fred snickered. The girl’s eyes seemed to flare with competition and her thin arms crossed over her chest, “Is that a challenge, George Weasley?”

He laughed, “Hah! Not much of a challenge, is it?”

Lianna beamed, shoving some of Stephan’s spare bills at the barkeep, “George, let me explain something to you. See these,” and she pointed to her chest, “These are boobs and whoever has the boobs will win this contest hands down.”

There was a snort from George and a full out roar of laughter from Fred.

“Challenge accepted,” both breathed, shaking hands.

----

George seemed determined that 5 drinks were enough. Lianna was pretty, sure, but the pub was far too busy to notice the lone witch standing quite happily between the two identical redheads. He didn’t need to bother with anymore especially since Lianna had barely moved. She had walked off at one point and disappeared into the crowd of people around the dance floor but returned moments later and situated herself back between them against the bar.

McKellen’s was packed and the dance floor, a small area surrounded by filled tables, seemed to be bursting with people. The singer, who was surprisingly rather good, had gotten quite a few people up out of their seats.

“There’s no way she’s gettin’ 3 more drinks,” George said, watching as Lianna wandered off to finally deliver that Guinness to Stephan.

Fred snorted in disagreement, “She’s fit. I’ll buy her three more if she doesn’t.”

George found himself scoffing just as Lianna came sauntering back through the crowd. She walked with a concentrated look on her face, her eyes locked to the ground. It appeared as though she was trying balance, using her arms and the few chairs she passed. Lianna reached the bar, giggling gently.

“Look how plastered you are,” Fred teased, grinning as the girl grabbed a hold of his arm, trying to steady herself. Her cheeks were flushed and there was a constant smile upon her face.

“I’m not,” but her giddy little giggle gave it away.

George chuckled, “You gave up already, Lianna? I’m disappointed.”

“Pfft!” She brushed a hand through the thick air absently before turning to the tiny clutch in her right hand. Snapping it open, Lianna shifted herself to lean against the bar while she rooted through the small purse. Two pairs of what appeared to be Muggle ear plugs were pulled out. She dropped them into the twins’ outstretched hands, “Put those in your ears.”

“Why?” Fred drawled, following without hesitation.

“Because I’m about to kick George’s ass!”

“Really?” George followed suit, “Because I don’t see any lads lined up.”

“Give it a moment,” Lianna teased and suddenly, she began walking away with a wink, disappearing in the thick dance crowd. The man that had been singing moments ago ended and handed the microphone off to one of McKellen’s employees. There was a pause in the singing for awhile and the loud chatter overtook the silence it left. Then suddenly music began and the newest participant stepped on stage.

“She's a girl with the best intentions. He's a man of his own invention. She looked out of the window, he walked out the door but she followed him and he said, "What'cha lookin' for?"”

No one but the twins seemed to notice Lianna’s sudden presence on stage. In fact, the entire pub seemed completely oblivious to the witch as her rather gentle voice wafted through the air. Chatter and laughter continued until suddenly one by one, faces turned to the girl. A pretty little smiled fluttered over Lianna’s lips.

“She said, "I want something that I want, something that I tell myself I need. Something that I want and I need everything I see."”

Fred and George peered at each other. It appeared as though they were the only two not locked to the stage. Her voice was calming, relaxing and everything about it made them want to stare but they still found themselves able to pull away. At the same time, Fred and George both shot a hand to their ear and sure enough, felt the tiny bud laying inside.

“He's been livin' in a pure illusion. She's gonna come to her own conclusion. Right when you think you know what to say someone comes along and shows you a brand new way.”

“Oi!” George cried, “That’s cheating!”

No one heard him.

“Something that I want, something that I tell myself I need. Something that I want and I need everything - 'cause it's so easy to make believe, it seems you're livin' in a dream. Don't you see that what you need is standing in front of you?”

Lianna’s song ended but there weren’t any cheers. All Muggles, so it seemed throughout the years, had difficult time processing a Walden’s song. Lianna was far from fazed as she simply smiled and hoped off the stage, handing the microphone to the man that gave it to her. Another name was called to take her place while she shuffled through the dazed crowd. The moment another song began the chatter returned. It was though Lianna had never stepped on stage in the first place.

George didn’t look miffed; in fact, both wizards were waiting with quite enthralled faces when Lianna returned. She giggled, stumbling as she reached them. Her hands grabbed the edge of the bar and when Lianna was certain she was steady, turned to the twins with a bright grin.

Fred spoke first, “What was that?”

“Dad’s fault, really,” Lianna beamed, “His great something or other grandmother was a siren but don’t – don’t say anything. Mom would kill me if she found out I did that to Muggles.”

“You planned this!” George said with a laugh. In his hands were the earplugs Lianna had shoved at them.

“No,” Her head shook, but the lazy smile on her face was toying and she began snickering to herself, “I just figured it’d be safer too take them ‘cause we are at Karaoke night. It was a just in case!”

“Well your just in case -” but George was cut off by a rather bold boy with broad shoulders and arms the size of a tree. He was huge with a crooked nose and a cheeky grin.

“’Ello darlin’,” said the man, “I saw you on stage. You were absolutely amazin’!”

“Thank you!” She smiled and a rather smug look was shot George’s way.

“Can I buy you a drink?”

“Aren’t you sweet?”

With a skill Lianna learned from her mother, she flirted with ease while the man offered her a drink down at the other end of the bar. While they talked, Lianna had managed to get another drink squeezed out of him before kindly giving him a little wave and a faux promise that she’d meet him at the end of the night.

“One more, Georgie,” Lianna teased, gripping to his arm when her head began to spin. Those two drinks had been down rather rapidly and they were definitely kicking in, mingling with the already vast amount of alcohol in her system.

“It’s not much of a win,” chuckled George, “You cheated.”

Lianna scoffed, “I didn’t cheat.”

“Yes you did, being a Siren and all.”

“No,” Lianna shifted a little in her heels, her hands gripping to George’s arm for a balance, “I’m barely – barely even a siren. I just – just can calm people and catch their attention. That’s not cheating! Right, Fred?”

“Right Lianna!”

And once again, before George could reply Trevor wandered over, his icy blue eyes shining. He asked Lianna for a dance which she happily agreed and the two disappeared upon the floor. A couple songs later, bad singing and all, Lianna returned out of breath and Trevor at her side. He demanded two beers. One was left in Lianna’s open hands and the other he took as he hurried back to the table.

“Oh ho!” She cheered, shoving the pint in George’s face, “What’s this? Oh! I think we’re tied!”

A playful scoff fell from George’s mouth, “You still haven’t won there, Walden.”

“Think she has, Georgie,” Fred teased and sure enough, another Purple Rain was placed in front of Lianna’s eyes. A bright grin shone on her face and with a childish motion, she stuck her tongue out at the Weasley boy. Lianna offered Fred her pint while she happily gulped down the Purple Rain.

George mocked a horror, “I’ve been betrayed by my own brother, my twin! How could you, Fred!”

The two began to bicker in a playful banter while Lianna watched, eyes bright and smile wide. She sipped at the drink Fred bought her and giggled and giggled until a slender hand grabbed her wrist, the one holding her clutch. Mariah stood before her with the same identical drunk grin. Her hair had been somewhat fixed but only because she seemed to have flattened it with her hands.

“We should dance!” She cried, gripping to Lianna and pulling with a strength someone so thin shouldn’t hold.

“Dance?” Lianna asked, “But my – my feet hurt.”

“That’s okay!” Mariah waved it off, “We’ll dance for just a bit, I promise!”

“Well,” and a huff of air released from the girl’s mouth, “Okay! Fredrick and Georgie, we are going to dance if you would like to come!”

“How could we say no,” Fred said with a loud laugh, allowing Lianna to grab his hand and pull him towards the mass amount of sweating Muggles.

Whoever was singing now had a decent voice, nothing like Lianna, thought Fred, but enough that no one seemed to notice the difference in the song. Mariah was screaming about how she loved dancing while Lianna simply laughed, swaying to the pounding beat. It wasn’t until a couple minutes later, when Mariah found herself laughing against George’s chest and Lianna happily swayed with his brother did the Walden girl declare to the entire dance floor that she needed to pee.

Mariah happily excused them both, dancing off towards the oddly quieted stalls.

“She is bloody sloshed,” George said with a laugh.

Fred grinned as he peered around the pub. Being tall had its advantages and he seemed to see over most of the crowd, “Mum would kill us if she – shit.”

George turned, his gaze following his brother’s. His eyes widened just as his twin’s did,“Fred, I think it’s time to go.”

“I do believe you’re right, dear brother.”

From the entrance came two out of place bodies. Shuffling through the thick crowd, pushing their way through towards the bar was Remus Lupin and the Auror Mad-Eye Moody.
♠ ♠ ♠
I believe I am happy with how this turned out as it decided to be a real pain in the butt. I figured right now, this is good as its going to get.

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments:
erased memories
kitbunny
la dispute.

I really appreciated them :)

The song is Something That I Want by Grace Potter

comments please?