Blessed With Iridescent Wings

Homesick

One late July morning Lianna found herself awakening and for the first time in awhile, missing home. For the first few days she had been at Grimmauld Place, she had been far to overwhelmed to wonder what her friends had been doing or miss the comfort of the queen bed in her room. The weather, which for the first week had been warm and bright, had disappeared in a mass fog and a hard downpour of nearly constant rain. However when Lianna awoke that morning, it was humid out and the sun shone through the window like it had weeks ago.

Across the room Hermione was sound asleep. There was an open book lying upon her chest, its thick and heavy build made Lianna wonder how the girl even managed to breathe underneath it. Ginny, whose voice was nearly muffled by the pillow she clung too, was muttering about Quidditch and a giant snake that apparently had stolen the Quaffle. Lianna slipped past them with a bundle of clothes clutched to her chest and hurried down the hall to the bathroom. Once she had changed, she quietly made her way towards the kitchen.

The humidity had seemed to lessen in the basement, or would until Molly came into cook, but despite the relief Lianna missed the sticky feeling. It reminded her of home and how it would get so hot, breathing nearly made you sweat. It reminded her of the little things she did in the summer like complain about helping her mother in the garden or try and hide beneath the shade of the trees while Oceana amusedly sprayed her in the face with water.

Lianna sighed, brushing her bangs away from her face. The stairs creaked beneath her bare feet and for a moment it reminded her of Susie White’s pool and the broken old deck her father had made when they were in second year. The thought of her friends made her sullen and she felt angry with herself for not remembering them for so long. Didn’t she promise Kaleb a letter? Didn’t she tell Chelsea she’d send her a new shirt from a Muggle boutique?

It seemed cruel to have forgotten about them, if forgotten really was what happened. It was hard to dwell on sorrows and depressed thoughts when you had Fred and George Weasley keeping you busy nearly every hour of every day. Any moment Lianna was certain she’d slip into a homesick depression Fred or George would bounce in with a new product for her to avoid or an antic for her to enlist in. However as she sat in the silence of the kitchen, listening to the dark mutterings of Kreacher as he shuffled about his room, Lianna began to picture the faces of her old home.

There was Chelsea Archer, the blonde bombshell who had more attitude than a Hungarian Horntail and more firepower than a Firebolt. She was a muggle-born, slender and graceful who didn’t care much for school and wanted nothing more than to be model in some overpopulated city. She was dating a boy two years older than her named Kaleb.

Kaleb Snow, who had taught Lianna to make fake I.D. cards, was a joyful 19 year old that thought being a Healer may be a good job whenever he got around to it. He was a brilliant boy but he was a slacker who cared more for Quidditch than his school work. Kaleb had finally graduated, a year behind the rest of his class, but he had said it was all worth it because he had been allowed to be the school’s Keeper for one last year. Lianna had told him multiple times before that he should go professional. She was absolutely certain he could make the Haileybury Hammers if he practiced enough but Kaleb thought it was a silly idea.

Then there was Susie White, a curly haired brunette with big eyes and a brain larger than Hermione’s. She cared for nothing more than school and her goal of being an Obliviator just like Lianna’s mother. Everyone was certain she would make it. There was no way Susie wouldn’t with the grades and skills she had.

Following her came two troublemakers that found more amusement in destroying school property than harmless pranks that left someone’s hair purple. Their names were Trevor Connor and Alex Ray and when they met in first year it was probably one of the worst things to ever happen to SHSA. They both had a knack for explosions but unlike the twins who actually seemed to know what they were doing (most of the time), Trevor and Alex simply jumped in without a bit of knowledge. Out of every student in SHSA, Trevor and Alex were the only two in the hospital wing nearly every other day. Both wanted to travel when school was done and both thought it’d be a grand old time to work with dragons.

Lianna had always been the odd one in the group in the sense that she really didn’t know what she wanted. She really wasn’t ready for the real world but she was ready to stay at school either. Lianna was in a limbo; torn between the few things she was good at and all the other skills her family wanted her to excel in.

Lianna ran a hand through her thick hair, untangling the knotty mess. It was strange that all of a sudden she missed home when the people here had taken her mind away from it easily, far too easily. She thought of her friends for awhile, barely noticing as Kreacher shot her a nasty look as he wandered up stairs, until she began to drift and her mind wandered to the friends she had made here.

There was Ron, who Lianna seemed to have a rather complicated relationship with. It wasn’t that she didn’t like him and it wasn’t that he didn’t like her but most of their interactions occurred with either of the two annoying the other. Ron had a tendency to complain during cleaning and Lianna had a tendency of vocally shouting where every spider was. There were times when Molly would ask Lianna to wake her youngest son and Lianna would do it by rather wet means that made both of the twins quite pleased with her. When Ron was asked to wake Lianna, he did it with loud cheers that constantly caused her to fall flat on her face. However, both seemed fine sitting around the dinner table together and were even happy to try and contain Ron’s rather rambunctious owl Pigwidgeon.

As for Hermione, well, her and Lianna got along fine, for the most part. They had shared a few books together and happily bonded over their knowledge of muggle paraphernalia but when it came to Lianna’s attitude of just brushing things off or ‘I’ll do it tomorrow’ Hermione had a few issues. For being a seventh year, she figured Lianna should be more put together or at least care a little bit about some of the rules. Lianna didn’t seem to think so, in fact her view was as a seventh year she was allowed to be a little rebellious. She was graduating and she should be allowed to have some fun before the real world took over.

Then there was Ginny who Lianna got along with swimmingly. Suspicion had made Ginny a little cautious of the new girl, at least for a little while until she realized Lianna was nothing more than a normal witch who struggled through school just like everyone else. Both seemed quite happy to talk for hours about Quidditch or some tall tale about Hogwarts or SHSA. Lianna found that her old school was quite boring compared to the turmoil in her new one. Part of her was nervous for it and the other half couldn’t wait. Ginny was near certain Lianna would be in Gryffindor and seemed to tell nearly every day.

George, who also seemed to have the same hunch about Lianna’s house placement, was a boy who was quite pleased to torment the new girl. In turn, she used every opening to fire right back at him. He took pride in pulling one over on her because Lianna always seemed like a challenge and that challenge seemed to grow the more and more he won. She found him fun to be around and mocking him like he mocked her turned into quite the game the two played. Cheri, Lianna’s mother, was never quite pleased by the insults.

Finally, as for Fred, Lianna found herself a little torn about him. Just as his brother, George, he enjoyed persuading her into helping them with their contraptions regardless if the product was finished or not. In turn, she happily found herself teasing him when the chance arose. He was fun to be around and just like his twin brother, he was quite happy being around her. The only thing that left Lianna a little confused was what had occurred a couple days ago.

She had somehow bet the twins she could jest both of them in a simple wrestling match. George’s reply was boobs weren’t going to help her here but she hadn’t backed down and made a move to tackle the tall Weasley. George and Lianna had hit the floor nearly instantly, ignoring the shooting pain when his head hit the wood and her elbow smashed against the corner of the bed frame. Both tussled for a while until she ended up straddling him, her hands slapped down beside his head. There was a moment where she stared at him, a cocky grin on her face but George wasn’t having any of that and he quickly flipped her over in a near instant.

She blamed the Beater’s body and while Fred laughed she snapped at him and said he shouldn’t be so cocky. It was his brother who won after all and who really could say he could create the same results. Without a single hint of hesitation, Fred was up for the challenge.

Lianna knew if she couldn’t pin George there would be no way she could pin Fred but decided to give it a go anyway. Nothing could get her to back down now. So when Fred toppled her to the floor and she managed to twist her way upon his build enough to throw him to his back she was back in the same position she had been with George.

Only something was off, extremely off.

As Lianna peered down at the redhead below her she found herself gulping instead of boasting like she had with his brother. In fact, there was a part of her that just wanted to kiss the boy until neither of them could breathe and she really wasn’t certain where that had come from. Fred had managed to get her on her back before she could open her mouth and she thanked Merlin for the way her head smashed against the floor. At least that got her mind off his lips.

“Oh shit, you okay, Anna?” Fred asked, hurriedly helping her into a sitting position. The back of her head had stung and she felt her eyes cloud as she bit back a few tears.

“It’s good,” She muttered, gasping as Fred pulled her hand away to peer at the wound, if there even was one. George had plopped down in front of her face, grinning softly.

“Toldja we’d win,” He said, ducking as she shot a weak fist his way.

“You’re gonna have a nasty bump,” Fred stated, carefully pushing her hair back to see if it had already formed. She liked the way his calloused fingers tread through her thick locks. He hit the bruise and again she thanked Merlin for the distraction, painful as it was. “Good thing you got all this hair or you’d look pretty silly.”

“Ha. Ha,” she dryly laughed, swatting his prying fingers away. “I’m going to go see if I can find Oceana. She’ll fix it up.”

George helped the girl to her feet, “You’re just going to leave us to clean.”

“I feel I’m entitled,” She teased, “Seeing as your brother nearly split my head open.”

“Oi, stop exaggerating,” Fred replied, “It’s your fault you thought you could actually beat us.”

“Oh yes,” She grinned, a mischievous look she had copied off the twins, “Because I knew you two had bodies like a god.”

At that point the twins had made a comment about being glorious and how she should’ve known that by now. Lianna just walked off with her eyes rolling while she shut the door behind her. Pausing outside the room, she carefully fingered the bump on her head and when she began to remember Fred’s fingers treading through her hair, she shook her head quickly, trying to dispel the thought. Lianna rushed off to find Oceana and accidently set off Walburga Black’s portrait when she tripped at the end of the staircase.

Lianna sighed.

Fred was a complication, a complication that she wasn’t certain how to handle. She wasn’t certain when things had changed because nothing really stood out in her mind. It wasn’t like she woke up and determined I’m going to like Fred Weasley today or anything. Maybe it had been when she was watching both boys perfect their recipes and Fred’s eyes seemed too twinkle with a passion she wished she could hold for something. Or maybe it had been when he carried her down the stairs on his shoulder and made a laughing comment about how perky her ass was. It could’ve been the time she volunteered to test a nosebleed nougat and when the bleeding wouldn’t stop, he used his own sleeve to try and contain the blood.

Lianna wasn’t really certain when she started wanting to kiss him or jump his bones but whatever it was, she was having trouble ignoring it.

“Someone seems distracted,” sang the watery veiled voice of Oceana. She fluttered towards Lianna’s face, her large black stone like eyes blinking, “How is your head?”

“Better,” muttered the girl, “Thanks for that.”

“It was barely a wound,” laughed the Faerie, “Though I am sure your mother would be quite displeased to hear you were tussling with those two boys.”

“I could’ve won,” Lianna muttered but she knew that was a lie. The blue light of the Faerie’s fluttering wings died down as she settled upon the wooden table. Her tiny, tiny body was an odd contrast with the old wood. Oceana stood out in glorious grander.

“Your mother was speaking of you last night,” said Oceana, her eyes watching Lianna’s wearily, “She is concerned.”

“She’s always concerned,” Lianna released a quiet laugh, “What is it this time?”

“She is concerned we are going to abandon you.”

There was a moment of silence where Lianna looked away with a clouded stare. Her pale green eyes drifted about the room until they landed on the fireplace, not a flicker of flame within it. Oceana watched the young girl for quite some time. The witch’s face was covered in pure frustration until she finally relaxed and a whisper of a smile flitted over her lips.

“Don’t listen to her...” murmured the girl, “She doesn’t know what she’s talking about half the time.”

“Our hope is you do not either.”

Lianna’s pale eyes caught the soulless orbs below her. They stared for awhile until the witch shook her head quickly, spilling her long locks over her shoulders.

Oceana continued, “Not one, not even Blumella, wishes to leave your side but, and we have all been speaking since we have arrived, if it would help I am offering a challenge -”

“No,” Lianna hissed, her eyebrows scrunching in a sudden anger, “I’m not doing that. I don’t want any of that.”

Oceana watched the young human clench her fists until they had turned white. When Lianna showed no sign of letting up, the Faerie fluttered up to her feet and placed two tiny hands upon the young woman’s fingers. A soothing chill shot through the skin and blood began to flow again as Lianna relaxed.

“You mustn’t judge yourself so harshly, Lianna.”

“Hard not to when you’re the only Walden who can’t properly tame a Faerie...”

Another soothing chill dispelled from the Faerie’s fingertips, “I did not mean to upset you. I just wished for you to know that neither I nor any of us plan to abandon you and we are far happier choosing to be by your side than we would’ve been to be forced.”

A tired sigh fell from her lips, “Dad didn’t say much, did he? When him and Mom were talking?”

“Of course he did not. Your mother doesn’t need him to speak, she knows his position. In fact, I feel she prefers he simply listen so as to not have someone arguing her points.”

Lianna scoffed, “I almost want school to start. She’s been so crotchety lately.”

About a day or so after Lianna’s horrid hangover had past, Cheri Walden had seemed to brush off that rather ‘understanding’ exterior and reverted back to the woman Molly Weasley once remembered. Her mother had been short with everyone and Lianna’s father blamed it on nerves and fears but they all knew Cheri was just fed up.

Back at home, Cheri Walden met every week with a grouping of rich witches that shared the same hobbies as she did. They all loved to garden, odd in Lianna’s mind, and they all loved to cook but what they adored most of all was the high lifestyle their husbands had given them. Cheri understood why they had left it all behind, she grasped that her family was technically safer in London but couldn’t seemed to let go of that withdrawal she was having on her old routine.

Oceana giggled, “It is the company you keep. I don’t believe she approves.”

Well the withdrawal of her pampered life and maybe the fact she had never approved of any of the friends Lianna seemed to make.

“Course she doesn’t,” muttered Lianna, “She didn’t approve of Kaleb or Trevor either. Hated Alex the most.”

“But you do.”

“Of course I approve,” The girl said with a snarl, a snarl directed at her mother, “They’re my friends. They make me happy.”

“And do your newest companions make you just as happy?”

Lianna nodded very slowly, “Why are you -”

Oceana smiled, “Because you held that same face you hold now when you dreamt of Christopher River.”

Christopher River had been Lianna’s last crush, a boy who was too cocky for his own good and broke her little heart when she found him kissing Tiffany Summers. They hadn’t been dating but he had known she had liked him for awhile and he had tugged on her heartstrings before easily brushing off the brunette for the gorgeous redhead.

Lianna had been so distort the day she found out and cried in Chelsea Archer’s arms while Trevor and Alex went and dealt with Christopher the only way they knew how. They were given a month’s detention for nearly blowing the boy’s ears off. To this day they still say it was worth it to see that little worm scream like a girl.

“I do not.”

“You do, Lianna,” teased the Faerie, “So I must enquire as to who our dear Mistress is so fond of?”

“No one,” replied the girl, “No one at all.”

“Do not play coy with me,” laughed the exotic female. Her giggle was like a bubbling brook, a calming sound that seemed absolutely perfect falling from Oceana’s lips.

Lianna scoffed, “I’ll play coy with whoever I want too.”

Another glorious laugh sounded about Oceana’s mouth and she fluttered up in front of Lianna’s face. A joyful look covered the Faerie’s exotic beauty, bright and delighted.

“You are silly, dear Lianna.”

And Oceana flew off just as the sound of footsteps came down the stairs. A tired looking Tonks didn’t seem too noticed as the glow of blue light flashed past her. She was too busy rubbing her eyes and pushing the curly blonde hair out of her face. It had been a mess of blue spikes just yesterday evening.

“Mornin’,” yawned the woman, “You’re up early, Anna.”

“Couldn’t sleep,” lied the girl, “What are you doing here so early?”

“Meeting before we all head off to work,” replied the Auror and she settled across from Lianna with another yawn, “Even Molly’s not up yet?”

“I don’t believe so,” Lianna replied. She knew she wasn’t. The kitchen would’ve been far more lively if Molly had been awake, “Why so early Tonks?”

“Well,” and she ran another hand through her curly locks. She reminded Lianna of the barkeep Fred had been charming at McKellen’s weeks ago, “Dumbledore’s coming. This was the only time we could all meet.”

Lianna nodded and went to ask Tonks what this meeting was going to be about. Her thought was if Molly wasn’t in the room maybe Tonks would let something slip but just before she had the chance to speak said fiery woman came hurrying down the kitchen stairs. She was dressed for the day with a frazzled look upon her face. It appeared as though she had slept in. Behind her trailed a glowing red ball of light as the tiny dragon like Faerie followed Mrs. Weasley.

“Mornin’ Molly!” Tonks called.

“Good morning,” Lianna replied, the sound muffled by a loud yawn.

“Need any help, Molly? We still have a couple minutes before the meeting starts -”

A sort of panic flashed through Mrs. Weasley’s eyes. Tonks was somewhat of a klutz and though she meant well it was usually her that set off Mrs. Black’s portrait or broke pieces of china meant for the table.

With a tired smile, Mrs. Weasley shook her head, “No, no, just relax dear. You have a busy day ahead of you -” She turned to the fire Faerie who was hovering just about her shoulder “- Flagwin, dear, go sit with Lianna. I need room to cook.”

Flagwin had taken a liking to Molly and seemed to be following her everywhere nowadays, or at least when she was cooking. Molly, who had a soft spot for the quiet dragon, would toss him a piece of meat every once in awhile as she bustled about the kitchen. When he wasn’t following her Lianna had learned that the tiny Faerie found humour in chasing mice. Sirius said he found a grouping of scorched rats in front of his doorway one morning. Apparently Flagwin thought it was a nice present to give the man.

“Come here, Flagwin,” Lianna breathed, motioning for the warm Faerie to fall into her hands. He settled quite happily, though a little disappointed, in her arms while Tonks asked about what they were planning to do for the day. Lianna’s groan was enough to remind Tonks of the never ending cleaning spree Molly had set them on. It had been weeks and it still seemed like they barely made a dent in the old house.

As the minutes passed and Molly’s busy self bustled about the kitchen, various residents of the Order of the Phoenix entered. Lianna had seen a few of them before. There was Tonks and Remus Lupin, Kingsley Shacklebolt, a woman named Emmeline Vance, Mundungus Fletcher who the twins seemed to had taken a shining to and a rather slimy looking man dressed in dark robes named Snape. He was to be her potions teacher next year and by the stories she had been given from the twins and Ron, she was not looking forward to it.

“Oh Lianna, Lianna!” called Cheri Walden. She was dressed in a fuchsia robe, on odd contrast with the green ball of light sitting upon her shoulder, “Come meet your new Headmaster.”

Talking to her father was a tall man, very thin dressed in a colourful robe that could out due any outfit in Lianna’s mother’s wardrobe. His silvery hair and beard were long, waist length and behind half-moon spectacles’ were twinkling blue eyes.

“Hello,” Lianna breathed, peering up at the happy eyes of Albus Dumbledore, “It’s nice to meet you.”

“You have grown since I have last seen you,” smiled the bright eyed man, “When your father introduced you to me I could nearly hold you up in just the palm of my hand.”

Lianna had been a tiny baby, a happy one that her father had apparently shown to the whole world.

Lianna couldn’t help but smile, “Probably a good thing I didn’t stay that size, eh? Thank you, uh, Professor Dumbledore for letting me come to your school.”

“Ah oui, oui, you ‘ave no idea ‘ow much this means to us,” Her mother cut in and Lianna knew she might as well walk away now. Cheri began to ramble to the tall man and while Lianna stood beside her with an annoyed gaze she caught Dumbledore sending her a tiny wink. Another smile slipped over her lips.

Behind her, barrelling down the stairs, came the remainder of the children that would be kicked from the kitchen in a matter of minutes by the spitfire Molly Weasley. Hermione and Ron, who Lianna walked by because her mother was nowhere near done talking, looked sort of relieved, sort of worried as they stared at Albus Dumbledore. The very moment Cheri was finished and bid the kind Professor a rather lavished ‘Au revoir’, Hermione rushed forward to speak, Ron trailing behind her.

“Something important?” Lianna asked the twins as she settled between them, eyeing a frantic Miss Granger.

George nodded, “Dumbledore told Ron and Hermione they weren’t allowed to keep a lot contact with Harry.”

“Don’t want any dark wizards intercepting the letters, you see,” replied Fred.

“Hermione’s been having a fit about it,” Ginny cut in, “She feels awful they can’t tell Harry anything.”

Harry Potter had been mentioned once or twice in passing. The twins spoke more about him than either Hermione or Ron, who as Ginny explained, felt dreadful they were keeping him in the dark. Apparently Dumbledore had an order member constantly trailing the boy, to keep him safe until he was allowed to be taken here.

Lianna peered over at Dumbledore and by the look on Hermione and Ron’s faces they were once again told no contact was to be made. Both wandered away, disappointed frowns hanging off their lips. Taking the place of the two discouraged fifth years was the brilliant ball of light, Suane. She fluttered about the Headmaster’s face for a moment until the tall wizard nodded and Lianna found the Faerie rushing towards her.

“Lianna,” Suane cried, “Oh Lianna! I have a request.”

“What’s up, darling?” Lianna muttered, ignoring the glare she was receiving from her mother across the room. She wasn’t certain, but the twins who also noticed the icy look both seemed to moved a little closer to her.

“I have... asked Dumbledore if I would be admitted to Hogwarts early. I am being selfish,” breathed the Faerie, “But I oh so wish to find its secrets before the students overflow its walls.”

A smile slid over Lianna’s lips, “Of course, Suane, if you want to go early that’s alright with me.”

“Oh Lianna!” A grateful kiss was placed upon the witch’s forehead, “You are a gracious Mistress!”

Suane fluttered off without another word and Lianna, who could feel her mother glaring daggers at her head, tried to look elsewhere. She peered down at her bare feet, looked towards Ginny’s sock covered ones and even found herself glaring at Ronald’s toes.

“Suppose it’s time to go,” Fred murmured, “Mum won’t let us stay anyway.”

Lianna felt an arm drape itself over her shoulders and she wonder if maybe that was why she had started to like Fred Weasley. Maybe it was the way she felt content and protected with the weight of his heavy arm upon her build. Maybe it was the way he steered her away from the disapproving stare she was given from her mother or maybe it was simply the way he made her laugh when nothing else was able too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm beyond nervous about this chapter. I'm not certain if its been portrayed right...
Hopefully you all enjoy it and it would be nice to hear if you did.

Thank you for the wonderful comments:
la dispute.
kitbunny
I_LiekYour_Pants

On a side note chapter 9 may be delayed due to sudden family coming from in out of town and a birthday that will probably go on all weekend.

Thank you to all my subscribers and I really hope some of you let me know you're still enjoying my story :)