Status: Slowly Active.

Bitter Sweet.

New Faces.

When the car stopped, I didn't bother to move. I didn't want to live here, no. I was much more content staying at the church. At least there I knew I was welcomed.

This town had no life—which was fine by me. The less excitement, the less I need to get worked up about. Hopefully I could play it safe for a year or two and vanish. Until then, they insisted that I live here—just for my safety. Just temporarily.

"C'mon, Charlie. You're going to love it here, I promise." Miles was my guidance councilor at the Church. He was in charge of where I moved too, and who looked after me. It had been a while since he tried to find a place for me, but ever since Lady Song had mentioned Forks, he'd been infatuated. "Charlie, get out of the car."

I stared at him through the dirty window, and took my time adjusting my back on my shoulder before I got out and slammed the car door with more force than necessary.

"It's sticky." I stated, giving him any reason to leave.

He wasn't moving. "It's only because the humidity is up in higher numbers today—come on, Charlie," He looked at me, green eyes pleading, "Just try. For at least six months—if you're still uncomfortable by then, I'll come take you back to the Church, and we'll try some where else."

Fair enough. I could play nice for six months. "Why this place anyways? I've heard of it—it's constantly rainy."

"You said you liked the rain and the cold." He smiled, "Also, Lady Song said it might be the perfect little vacation for you. We realize that you're almost of age to leave, and that you shouldn't need to share a room with younger children. Here," He pointed up to the small house with yellow shutters and blue doors, "Is a place where they have an available room in which you won't have to share. There are other teens here, too. Mr. and Mrs Krum were very delighted to take in a girl."

I was listening as he explained the rest of the town and the little reserve. I, however, focused my glare on the sign in the lawn. It was almost like a 'For Sale' or 'Sold' sign, but in this case it was something a little more different.

Two heads popped into view of the bay window, happy and excited smiles on the both boys. I finalized my decision, "I don't want to stay here."

Miles chuckled, and patted my shoulder, "They're harmless, Charlie."

I doubted that.

"Oh, here they come." I looked up just as four figured bounded out of the house. A short, thin woman, a built man and two tall and lean boys.

"Hello, dear—you must be Charlotte!" Mrs. Krum wrapped me in a tender hug. She smelled faintly of roses, which was nice.

"Hi—uh, Charlie, just call me Charlie."

Mr. Krum took my and smiled, "Bethany was so excited when she heard that we may have been taking a teen girl under our wing." He chuckled and wrapped an arm around her shoulder, "These will be your two.. brothers for the remainder of your time here—this is Joshua," This Josh character was tan. And, to my surprise, looked really good in glasses. While he looked almost native, I knew he wasn't because his hair was far too light in colour. It was a muddy brown. "And this is Carson." Carson was shorter, and paler. His eyes were blue, and he looked far more boyish then Joshua.

"Hi," I waved weakly and smiled, "I'm Charlie."

The pair smirked, "We know."

"Uh, boys, do you think you could—" Beth didn't get a chance to finish because Carson and Josh had already taken the liberty of grabbing my tiny suitcases from the back.

"Come on, we'll show you your room."

"Oh, I don't know if.." I turned to Miles for backup, but he was already heavily in discussion with the Krums. Reluctantly I moved forward, "Sure."

Josh had already taken off into the house, but Carson stayed close and explained the rooms as we traveled by. The house was beautiful, I had to admit. I had yet to see any bugs or broken walls. In a sense, it was a little disappointing. "We had to fight Carson into giving up his old room—the back room is pretty much on its own. Beth didn't want you staying in a bedroom beside a guy." Josh shrugged, leaning against the wall.

"Not that Josh would do anything—he takes very little notice to female existence." Carson stopped in front of a door and set the suitcase down. "Here—I'm sorry if its messy. I've still got a few things to take out, but this is pretty much it."

"Carson and I spent the entire morning re-painting the walls. The room was pale, and had marker scribbles everywhere from when we were little."

Carson shrugged, "It wasn't much work, considering the room is pretty small. But Miles had informed Beth and Krum that you liked things brought out you. Also said your favourite colour was brown." Carson turned to face me quickly, "I, however, didn't pick your covers."

The was neatly made, and covered with a beautiful purple. The thick comforter was filled with darker contrast flowers, and the pillows with large and fluffy. "No, it's remarkable."

"The lady at the store said it was the last in stock. I figured you might like purple—right?" Josh looked at me for a moment with hope in his eyes.

"Yeah, of course." I smiled, but this time, it was a genuine smile, "Thank-you."

"No problem." Carson smiled widely, revealing his perfect straight teeth. "We'll leave you to yourself." The two boys departed, leaving me to my thoughts in silence. I set my backpack down on the bed and stared all around the room.

This room held much more then any of my other rooms—and the atmosphere here was remarkable. I felt safe, which was a first, considering I was going to be under a near constant cover of rain and clouds.

I wandered over to the window. It was the only window in the room, and it was particularly wide. I stared out, hoping for a view of the neighbor hood, or the main road—but instead I got trees. My window was apparently on the side of the house—I didn't get the front nor backyard. Instead, I had an old and dreary looking oak branches sitting a few feet away from the window. The edge of one of the many forests' sat further back.

With a sigh, I turned the lock with a little difficulty. It gave a harsh, jaw clenching sound in return, but clicked when I had unlocked it completely. I pryed my fingers under the white edge and lift, having only getting it so far up until I needed to bend down and use my palms in replacement to my fingers. In a matter of moments, the window flew up and was—thankfully—stuck in its place. I leaned out of the sill and looked around.

Nothing.

It was almost like I was in complete isolation. There was no other window on this side of the house, apart from the little peep window for the basement. There were several small, chopped logs sitting below, and an ax. The clouds above were nearly black, and large. This new found happy environment held dramatic, unhappy surroundings. I wouldn't find my place, I was sure of it. Forks, Washington didn't exactly seem like the most up-beat, happy-go-lucky, cheery kind of place.

Perfect.

"You all right?" Miles entered the room, eyes wandering over the freshly painted walls. "Beautiful colours." He noted.

I quickly shut the window with a loud bang and turned to him with a small smile, "Never been better."

He looked at me, eyes wry, "Charlie, you know that I wouldn't put you anywhere I would regret. Do you think," He rubbed his chin and swallowed, "That it would be alright if you maybe wrote me an email or two every now and again?"

I looked at him incredulously, face horrified with the idea of emailing my guidance councilor.

"I know, I know. I'm the last person you want to talk to, but consider the thought." Miles led me downstairs and towards the front door. "I'll drop by in a few weeks. We'll go out for coffee and lunch. You can tell me about school, and where your heads at."

It wasn't up for discussion, I knew that. Miles wasn't used to be away from me for long amounts of periods, he wasn't used to the idea that his longest orphan girl would be more then three hundred miles away. "Alright." I cleared my throat and stuck my hands in my pockets, "But, you should get going. Before traffic hits. Lady Song wouldn't like it much if you didn't make it home before nightfall."

He smiled warmly, and hugged me. "Don't worry too much about it, Charlie. Before you know it, you'll meet new people and you'll find your place in no time, whatsoever."

I squeezed him one last time and reluctantly let go. He backed down the front steps and waved slightly, "You'll have fun. I promise."

I rested my head against the threshold, "Bye, Miles." I whispered.

The minute his car disappeared into the mist was the moment I realized I was stuck here until I could come up with a believable plan to get me out the minute he returned for a 'check-up'. But he was right. In a sense, I had to make the most of these few months. I was going to. "Charlie?" I turned to face Bethany. Her eyes were bright and hopeful, "Are you alright?"

I nodded, "Yeah. I was just thinking."

"Understandable," She smiled, "Carson and Josh are headed down to the reservation to get out with some friends—I figured that because you'll be going to school with them on Monday, I thought it might be nice if you went with them today."

I tried to hide my distaste, "I don't really swim—"

She laughed, "Believe me, it's very rare if they do go swimming. First Beach is very cold."

I shrugged, "Sure. I'll go." She smiled warmly and rubbed my shoulder.

"And, if you're worrying about Monday.. don't get worked up. Forks High School isn't much to get worked up about, anyways."

I laughed, "I'll keep that in mind." I backup away down the hall, and turned last minute, "Oh, and Beth?" She looked up with wide eyes, "Thanks."

♬ ♬ ♬

The truck rolled to a slow stop. Joshua pulled the key out of the ignition and slammed the door as he exited the cab. Carson stared up at the clouds and glared.

"What are you doing?" I asked quietly, peering up at them myself.

He frowned, "There's not even a ray of sun showing through the clouds—the weather guy lied. Again."

I slid out behind him and followed him around to the bed. "The weather guy always lies. It's his job. You can't put a finger down on something that's constantly in motion."

He stopped to stare at me, "That's true."

"Besides, he probably only got the job because he's attractive." Carson grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder. I continued, "Ever noticed how everyone in the news is old.. apart from the weather man?"

We neared a group of loud and cheerful teens. Joshua had already parted and sat himself comfortably beside a scrawny tan male. Carson and I sat down in front of them, on the sand. It had only been a few minutes when three other teens showed up. One particularly large boy sat down beside a pretty brown haired girl. The other two sat down, cross legged on the sand like I was. One of them caught me staring and lifted the corners of his mouth.

"Hey there," He stuck his hand out, an opening gesture to shake hands. "I'm Embry."

I took his large hand and smiled once quickly, "Charlie."

"You're new, aren't you?" He asked quietly, bringing his knees to his chest. "I can tell. You look lost."

I shrugged, "I don't know anyone, that's all." My legs involuntarily raised to my chest, much in a similar position to Embry's.

The corner of his lips raised slightly and he shrugged, "It's a small area. You shouldn't have too much trouble."

"You think?" I asked, turning my attention directly towards him. He nodded, face friendly and warm. "I'll take it as you don't attend school in Forks?"

He shook his head, "Naw. I'd rather stay on Res then hang with the pale faces. It's not really my forte."

"I know the feeling." I murmured quietly, rubbing my arms. I turned to the colourful fire with half-lidded eyes and sighed; my life would soon be set and my home would be no where real.
♠ ♠ ♠
new story;

Comment, thoughts, opinions?

suggestions?
comments and advice make me update faster. :)