Help Didn't Come

The solar flares hit when I was sixteen. Half the population died within the first day. The land was scorched, and we were left with little food and no electricity. We waited to hear from government officials, thinking they would tell us what to do or what was going on. No one came. People turned on one another, blaming and fighting their own neighbors, people they had known for years. It was complete hysteria.

There was no order. It was as if there was no government at all, as if the leaders had just disappeared. Later, we would find out that they had known the solar flares would hit. They had built bunkers under all major airports, military bases, and the White House. They had prepared to save a select few to keep the government running.

Civilians were left to the wolves. We were kept in the dark to prevent panic.

But when the government began giving orders again, no one listened. Because why would we listen to the people who killed us off and offered no help in our darkest times?

So now, the nation that once was is gone, replaced by terror and survival. Our children and grandchildren will be born into this society. And this is how it will be until the human race can rebuild itself.
  1. CHAPTER ONE
    Introduction