You Belong With Me

I love suprises, with an exception for this one

Rain’s POV:
*Year 2000. Please read author’s note when done reading chapter one.*
“Dad how could you do this to me!?! What did I ever do to you to deserve this!?! I’m starting middle school in a month and a half and you decide to tell me I’m not going to be starting it at Calabasas Middle School but instead some stupid British school!?!” I screamed on the top of my lungs.
Tears were pouring down my face as I yelled at my dad. I couldn’t believe this, I was so excited to start middle school with my best friends Arianna, Sadie, and Hannah but now my dad decides to surprise me by telling me we’re moving to England. ENGLAND. I was going to stick out like a sore thumb there! I lived in a small town called Amado in Arizona, where I had to drive over thirty minutes just to get to Rio Rico, the town where mostly everything was located including my school. I had grown up here my whole life so I was used to a small town. How was I going to adapt to some city life?
“Rain you know I wouldn’t do this to us if I didn’t have to but we’re barely paying the rent each month and getting food on the table is harder than it looks. I want to provide you with everything you need and more! This job will help me accomplish that. It’ll just be one year sweetie. Then we’ll come back and you can go into seventh grade with all your friends. I promise.” He insisted.
“It’ll be weird coming back! Everyone will have become friends with the kids pouring in from the other elementary schools. Arianna, Sadie, and Hannah will have already replaced me! I don’t want to move to England! I don’t want to live in the city! I don’t want to live in a cold place where it snows! I don’t want to have to learn how to speak in a British accent and drink tea! I don’t want to I don’t want to!” I pouted like a five-year-old.
I knew this was upsetting my dad but there was no way I would let him take me there. Maybe he’d feel bad for trying to move me and decide not to move after all.
“You won’t have to live in the city Rain because we aren’t moving into the city. There are some suburbs and rural areas there too. You should experience different weather and cultures Rain it will be good for you. It will enrich your life. You won’t have to speak with a British accent or drink tea because we’ll only be there for a year. Aren’t you the least bit excited though? The books are a HUGE deal and now you get to go around and brag that your dad was behind the magic! I even bought you the books.” He cried excitedly as he pushed the books across the kitchen table towards me.
“Dad, the only people that like Harry Potter are the nerds.” I snorted as I pushed the books back towards him.
He frowned and muttered, “I read them and I thought you’d like them. Remember when you were little and we would pretend you were the Princess and that I was the Prince and we would go on crazy adventures where we would have to fight dragons and trick pixies and-
“Yeah Dad that was when I was five. I’m eleven now. Get it? ELEVEN! I’m not a little kid anymore. You have to face the facts.” I snapped.
I stormed off into my room and went to my dresser mirror to check my appearance. My makeup seemed to be fine and my wavy black hair still fell perfectly in place. I readjusted my pink and black horizontally striped tank top and my Abercrombie short shorts when my dad walked in.
“Rain, can you please start packing?” Dad asked.
“No because I’m not moving.” I scowled.
“Rain Katelyn Calagry we are moving to England whether you like it or not. Now I understand you don’t want to leave your friends but you’ll make better ones in England! We are leaving in one week so you need to start packing!” he yelled.
I stared at him in shock considering he never yelled at me and whispered, “Yes Dad,” before grabbing a box from the living room and bringing it to my room.
I felt tears swell up in my blue eyes when my phone started ringing. It was Arianna.
“Hey girl! You want to go to the mall and flirt with some boys?” Arianna said when I answered the phone.
“I can’t.” I sighed.
“Why not?” she asked angrily.
Arianna was pretty used to getting what she wanted so somebody saying no to her usually got her mad.
“Because I’m…I’m moving.” I stuttered as a tear rolled down my face.
“What!?!” I heard three voices scream.
“Wait who else is there with you?” I cried in panic.
“Just Sadie and Hannah.” She replied.
“Oh.” I mumbled.
“Where are you moving? When are you moving? You can’t move now!” Sadie cried.
“But I am. My dad got a job doing his special effects stuff for a movie in England so we’re moving there for a year. We’re moving in a week.” I scowled.
“What! England is so far away! You’re moving so soon! Rain we can’t be without you for a year!” Hannah cried.
“It’s like a year without Rain! Oh woah!” Sadie sang.
“Funny funny.” I muttered as Sadie sang A Year Without Rain by Selena Gomez.
“We have to see you before you move!” Arianna cried.
“Well I have to pack for the next seven days so I don’t know when I’ll be able to see you guys.” I sighed.
“We’ll come right now and help you pack!” Hannah cried in excitement.
“No you can’t!” I screamed.
I didn’t want them seeing my stuff. I had some really embarrassing clothes and personal items I didn’t want them to see.
“Why not?” Sadie pouted.
“Because…I have cold.” I replied before adding a fake cough.
“Oh Rain you sound terrible! Feel better girly.” Arianna cried.
I loved those girls to death, but sometimes they could be so stupid!
“Same here. Well I better get going. Bye.” I said in a hoarse voice.
“Bye!” they all chorused before I hung up.
I glanced at the box and scowled. I went to my closet and pulled out all my winter clothing and threw it in the box before writing, ‘Rain’s winter clothes’ on the box. I didn’t have much clothing or personal belongings so I ended up using about another two boxes for some other clothing and another box to throw all the rest of my stuff in. As I pulled the last poster off my wall and threw it in the box I sighed. My room looked pretty empty without the posters and pictures on the wall.
“It was a good eleven years baby.” I whispered to my room as I closed the last box.
I wiped a tear off my face with a French manicured finger before grabbing the boxes and putting them in the living room.
I walked around the house as I looked at everything I had grown up with. Our house wasn’t big, just a small one-story house made of wood with cheap furniture that my dad savaged from garage sales, kind neighbors, and sometimes even the sets that he worked on. My dad doesn’t have a very stable job being that he works with special effects. What happens is his company will call him if they have any projects for him to do. Sometimes he’ll get four calls in a week! Other times, he’ll get zero calls in six months. He typically does special effects for movies but sometimes he’ll do some for television shows or even commercials. You must think I live a glamorous life, where I have a bunch of money and get to meet all these celebrities but I don’t. Usually the directors hate me and won’t even let me on set meaning my dad has to hire me a babysitter or if money is tight, I have to watch myself. Since he gets money off of projects and he isn’t constantly doing projects we sort of ‘harvest’ a lot. When he gets money, we buy food that can stay fresh for long periods of time and set some of the money aside for bills. Then he’ll take me to thrift stores so that I can buy some clothes. I’ll dig through and sometimes I’ll be lucky enough to find some Abercrombie shorts or a Hollister Co. top but I usually get that kind of clothing from my fourteen-year-old neighbor who gives me all the clothes she grows out of or finds out of style. If you saw my house you may say that I lived in a shack and if you lived my life you might call it an utter hell, but something about it makes me love it so much. Maybe the fact that the house is so cozy and comforting? Or the fact that I live in a small town where everybody knows each other and is willing to help you out when times are rough? I don’t know what makes me like it so much but now I’m not sure if I love it too much. Dad’s company never sent him far away from home except for one time when I was seven. They sent him to California for a movie and I had to stay at Arianna’s house for two months but I didn’t mind because I still had my friends and the town. But now they were moving me to a whole other country? I couldn’t believe it.
After I finished walking around my house, I went into my room, crawled into bed, and cried my eyes out. I was going to miss home.
And that night I cried myself to sleep just like I did on July 17, 1994.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it is starting out SLOW at the moment! It'll get better don't worry! I just need a few chapters to get the stage set. I have like five chapters written right now so I'll publish them now. I understand its a bit annoying at the moment because well you know, point of view from an eleven year old tends to be immature but i swear there are like maybe a couple more chapters till we go to her young adult age. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment and subscribe! I love hearing what you have to say. I take contsructive criticism:)