‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Thirteen (Edited)

July 12th, 2027
Tuesday
TD Garden, Boston, MA
10:30 A.M.

Evangeline stood up in shock. She watched two referees try and fail at pulling Trenton and Dylan off of each other. They were on the ice now. Dylan was under Trenton who was trying to pound his face in. She looked up to see Nathan and Tammy were also standing in shock. When the referees finally pulled them off of each other the coach sent them to the penalty box for 3:00 each. As they were being pushed away from each other Evangeline could hear them yelling.

"Go back to your little high school team you pussy!" Yelled Trenton.

"Fuck you bitch, I'll kill you," said Dylan. Evangeline was worried about the coach's reaction but he seemed unaffected by the whole thing. Fighting was a normal thing in the NHL and the game started up again. They were bound to meet at some point. As long as they didn't know they were related. She looked back up at Nathan and was surprised to find he was looking back at her. Their eyes met and Evangeline could tell that he was concerned. He gave a little nod and then got up and left. He wanted her to meet up with him.

"I'll be right back Lucy," she got up and went up the stairs. The halls were empty and she heard Nathan's footsteps. He appeared from around the corner and she said

"They hate each other," Nathan laughed and Evangeline said "It's not funny!"

"I'm sorry." he said. "They just have no idea they're related."

"And they're not gonna find out," said Evangeline sternly.

"You should come over tonight," said Nathan dropping the subject and taking her lovingly into his arms.

"What time?" she said.

"1:00,"

"We'll be tired tomorrow," she said.

"I don't care, it's worth it," he said.

"Alright I'll come,"

"Good," he said. He kissed her on the lips and said "I gotta get back." Evangeline went back to her seat. The players were allowed to leave for a lunch break and Evangeline went out back to meet up with Trenton.

“What were you thinking?!” she said. Trenton smiled and said

“That kid deserved it and the coach didn’t mind.” Evangeline saw Tammy and Nathan walk around the corner to find Dylan and she said

“Let’s go find a place to eat.” They walked down the street and found a small pizza place.

"So what are you guys doing after lunch?" asked Evangeline.

"We're going to shoot on the net individually." said Trenton. "He wants to see what we can do alone."

"Was it really necessary to get in a fight?" asked Evangeline.

"It was good, a showed everyone I can score AND fight. It was so weird, that kid looked just like me." Evangeline laughed nervously and Trenton laughed and said "I actually think it might have been Nathan Horton's son. I just beat the crap out of Boston's superstar's son." Evangeline quickly changed the subject and said

"Do you think you’re keeping up with the training?"

"Ya I'm having no problem with it. The trainers seem to like me." They finished eating and headed back to the rink.

They spent the rest of the day watching Trenton and when night came they returned to the hotel room. Evangeline was alone in the room while Trenton and Lucille went down to the pool. She called Nathan to confirm she was still coming over that night. It was easy to get out of the hotel room without waking anyone up. An hour and a half later Evangeline lay in Nathan's arms in the guest bed in his house.

"When did you decide to get that tattoo?" They had finished making love and were talking quietly. Evangeline finally decided to bring up the tattoo of Tammy and Dylan that was on his right arm. The upper part of his arm was a portrait of him, Tammy, and Dylan as a toddler together and his lower arm was of Tammy dressed in a bra and panties with angel wings.

"After we won the Stanley cup in 2011, Tammy wanted it and I felt like I would never see you again so I gave in and decided to get it."

"Do you regret it?" asked Evangeline.

"I wish you were on there instead." he said in a quiet voice. She cupped his face in her hands and gently stroked her fingers down it, feeling the rough hairs of his five O’ clock shadow. "I was so scared after you left. I was scared of what would happen to you, Trenton, and Lucille. I felt so alone, it might have been the scariest moment of my life."

"The scariest moment of my life was also back in 2011. In the Stanley cup playoffs when the Bruins were facing Vancouver and Rome hit you down onto the ice and gave you a concussion."

"You saw that?" he asked.

"Of course I did, I cried when they put on a close up of your face and you looked like you were having a seizure. I was so relieved when they announced you only had a concussion." He pulled her closer to him and said

"No matter what happens Angie I'll always love you."

"I love you too Nate." They lay in silence a bit longer before Nathan said

"Bad fight Trenton and Dylan got in today."

"At least they don't like each other," said Evangeline. "If they were friends they'd try to stay in contact and eventually Tammy would find out."

"They were friends when they were little." said Nathan. "Remember how they used to play so nicely with each other."

"Now they're trying to pound each others face in." said Evangeline with a laugh. “you’re other son seems nice,”

“Zach is different then Dylan. Dylan’s more ambitious or headstrong,” said Nathan. “Zach’s a really nice kid, never had an unkind word to say about anyone. He’s very excited to get into the NHL. He plays on a select team right now but no doubt he’ll make it too.” They talked awhile longer before Evangeline had to leave around 3:30. She went back to the hotel and got into bed without waking Lucille.

That next day Evangeline got up exhausted on only three hours of sleep. They took the same seats as yesterday. Trenton didn't seem to have a problem with Dylan except for a few dirty glares.

The day after that Evangeline was somewhat happy the training camp was over and that it only lasted through the morning. Disaster struck again when players were paired up in doubles to practice passing and getting the puck into the net together. Evangeline felt horrified when Trenton and Dylan were put together. What the hell was the coach thinking? They looked at each other with hatred and Evangeline knew the peace would soon be over. They waited for their turn as each pair took their turn. Finally it was their time to go. Trenton started out with the puck and then passed it to Dylan. Everything seemed to have been going smoothly until Trenton passed the puck at a wrong angle to Dylan and he missed.

"Trying to make me look bad huh?" said Dylan.

"Absolutely," said Trenton with a smirk.

"Fuck off or I'll make sure you don't get into the NHL, I'm Nathan Horton's son." Trenton laughed and said sarcastically

"Oh I'm so scared, I wouldn't give a fuck if you were the son of Wayne Gretzky you little rich kid! I’m the son of a nobody from upstate Maine and I'll kick your ass across this rink." They went at each other again but this time instead of letting them go, the coach blew his whistle and said

"Enough of this! Get off of each other!" They didn't listen and the referees had to pull them off each other again. "I won't keep you boys on the ice if you keep acting like this! Behave better or I'm kicking you out." They acted nice to each other for the rest of the training, both scared to loose the chance of getting into the NHL.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.