‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Fourteen

July 14th, 2027
Thursday
TD Garden, Boston, MA
1:00 P.M.

"Can you get along with anyone?" Evangeline asked Trenton.

"That pompous ass needs a good punch in the face." said Trenton.

"Just try and deal with people," said Evangeline. They were walking back to the hotel.

"Are we going shopping now?" asked Lucille.

"Ya," said Evangeline. "Are you coming Trenton?"

"No," he said stubbornly. "I'm just gonna stay in the hotel room." Evangeline waited to watch Trenton go into the hotel before she and Lucille walked to the parking garage to drive further downtown.

Trenton walked into the hotel room and threw his hockey gear down onto the floor. He lay down on the bed and turned on the TV. Dylan Horton disgusted him, he thought he was entitled to everything because his father was an NHL legend. Trenton would show him superstars weren't made from having a famous hockey father or a porn star mother, they were made from working hard and determination.

Tammy Horton had decided to go shopping after Dylan's training camp had ended. She told Nathan she'd be back in an hour and went down to Faneuil Hall. She decided to go into Victoria's Secrets and look at the new bra and pantie sets that had just come in. Nathan had seemed uninterested in get lately whenever she tried to start something in bed so maybe a new lingerie set would motivate him.

She walked in and began looking through the racks. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a woman in the next room going through a rack of bras. She looked up and felt horrified to see a face she hadn't seen in fifteen years. Was it really Evangeline? She looked back down for a second and then looked up to see the girl was gone. She walked into the next room to see if she had just been hallucinating. She looked down the hallway to see a woman with the same long chestnut hair that Evangeline did. She started to go after her but a employee recognized her and came up to her.

"Tammy Horton would you like to see the newest lace bras that we just got delivered today?"

"No," she said trying to keep walking.

"Well then maybe the new silk nightgowns we just got in?"

"No I really gotta go," she said still trying to get away from the employee. As she finally got away she turned around to see the girl was gone. She hurried to each room to see if she was still in the store but couldn't find her anywhere. Had she really just seen the girl her husband had had a seven month affair with fifteen years ago? After threatening Evangeline to leave and never come near her husband again she thought she was out of her life forever. What was Nathan up to?

Evangeline drove back to the hotel with the new Victoria's Secret shopping bags in the back seat beside Lucille.

"Now to Nashville," she said happily. Trenton and Lucille hadn't seen their grandfather or uncle Troy since they were ten and twelve. They went back to the hotel and checked out. Evangeline wished that they could get a plane ticket but they had the car and she didn't want to have to drive all the way back to Maine.

The drive was eighteen hours long and they stopped to sleep overnight at a motel in West Virginia. Trenton didn't say much else about the fight.

They finally reached Tennessee that next afternoon. The weather seemed unbearably hot no matter how much Evangeline blasted the AC in the car.

"I can't wait to see grandpa," said Lucille looking outside at the wide open fields.

"Horses freak me out," said Trenton. Evangeline laughed and said

"Are you really still not over that incident from when you were eight?" Trenton didn't answer and instead grunted at her. When he was a little boy they'd visited her dad for a week. Her father had tried to get him on a horse. At first Trenton had liked it but he ended up getting thrown when the horse jumped away from a mouse that had darted out in it's path. He had been scared of horses since. They pulled into the driveway and the memory of standing at the front door and being asked on a first date by Nathan flooded into her mind. She had been underage at sixteen and he had been twenty-three. It had been an illegal affair which seemed to have made Evangeline like it more. She had since lost some of the southern personality she had had as a teenager. Her accent was still there but it had become less thick.

She pushed away her thoughts when she saw her father come out of the house. She got of the car and ran up to hug her father.

"Look how much you two have grown!" said her father to Trenton and Lucille. They came forward and hugged their grandfather.

"Where's uncle Troy?" asked Trenton.

"He'll be here soon, he lives a few houses down at his own small farm now." said her father. The family went inside and the dinner table was set for them to eat.

"I'll be in the library if you need me," said Lucille.

"I'm coming to," said Trenton.

"Since when do you like books?" asked Lucille.

"I need to talk to you about something," he said quietly so his mother would not hear. They went to the other side of the house where the library was and shut the glass French doors so they wouldn't be overheard.

"What is it you need to say?" asked Lucille turning to her brother.

"I just wanted to talk to you about our father." Lucille rolled her eyes and said

"Really Trent we've been over this a million times, mons not going to tell us anything so why keep trying to get info out of her."

"Do you really not care about who he is?" asked Trenton.

"No and you shouldn't either." she said looking at the many bookcases lining the walls of the room. "It's a dead subject. It's good enough that she at least told us we're from the same father that's all I care about."

"Well I was just thinking about how much grandpa or uncle Troy knows about him." said Trenton.

"I wouldn't ask grandpa, it might cause something with mom but you can ask uncle Troy if you want." said Lucille. Trenton had been close with his uncle Troy and he had trusted him with a few of his secrets before.

"I think I will," said Trenton. "He must know something." Lucille shrugged and put her complete attention on the books.

"Just don't involve me; I don't want any part in this." Trenton left the library, excited for the arrival of his uncle.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Most of my chapters are actually written on my Itouch so there may be some spelling mistakes. I try to go through and correct all of them but I may have missed some.