‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Fifteen

July 15th, 2027
Friday
Evangeline’s Old Home, Nashville, TN
6:00 P.M.

When his uncle came there wasn't enough time to get him alone to talk and they all sat down to eat. When they had finished grandpa took them all out back to show them the horses. Trenton nervously followed his family into a pasture where a horse was grazing.

"I'm working on training this one now that he's old enough to enter most of the races." said his grandfather. Lucille fearlessly went up and petted the horse’s nose while Trenton hung back.

"Oh come on Trenton don't be scared," said Lucille backing away so Trenton could step forward. He cautiously went over to the front if the horse and put his hand on its nose. The horse seemed to like him and he continued to stroke its nose until it got excited and lifted it's head up and gave him a nudge in the chest. Trenton jumped back in fear. The horse continued to follow him as he back away. His family laughed as he turned and ran. The horse followed only having to keep a steady trot to keep up with him.

"Relax Trenton he won't hurt you," said his mother laughing as he came back over and hid behind her. It was a good night and everyone was in a happy mood. Trenton was hoping to get some time alone with his uncle before the night was over.

The opportunity came when his mother and Lucille went upstairs to set up the room and his grandfather went out to shut down the barn for the night. He and Troy sat at the kitchen table together playing cards.

"I've been meaning to ask you," said Trenton starting out slowly "If you know anything about me and Lucy's father?" Troy didn't seem to stiffen or act cold towards the question and said

"Not much more than my father does or even I think your mother does."

"What do you mean?" asked Trenton.

"When your mother got pregnant with you as a teenager she told us it was from a boy she had fallen in live with from the city. He moved to California before he knew she was pregnant and she never contacted him again." said Troy.

"Then what about Lucy?" asked Trenton listening intently.

"Your mother had her when she was eighteen by a man she met in one of her college classes at BU before she moved to Maine. She hasn't seen him since either." said Troy. Somebody was lying and Trenton knew it. His mother had told him that he and Lucille were full blooded siblings, not half. He wanted to ask his uncle about it but instead said

"Did she tell you all this?"

"Ya I never met either guys and that's all the information she gave me on it." said Troy. His mother was lying for some reason. What if his father was a wanted criminal? Or famous? Were him and Lucille really full siblings? What if he had more brothers and sisters? Tons of questions ran through Trenton's mind. Maybe the story she'd told hid uncle was true. But why would she not tell Lucille and him?

"I think I'm gonna go to bed." said Trenton getting up from the table. "Goodnight Uncle Troy."

"Night," said his uncle. Trenton hurried upstairs to find Lucille. He found her in the guest room where she'd be sleeping.

"What is it now?" she said

"She's lying," said Trenton.

"Who is?" asked Lucille. Trenton explained what their uncle had said to him.

"Maybe some things are better off not being found out." said Lucille. "I honestly have no interest in knowing who he was and I'm sure mom wants to keep it that way so please stop what you're doing."

"I want to know why she's lying to us," said Trenton. "She says we are from the same father but Troy says we're only half siblings. Why would she lie to her father and brother?"

"Some things are better off not being found out." said Lucille again. "I told you not to involve me." Trenton watched her move around the room with narrowed eyes.

"Fine but if I do find more out I'm telling you about it." She didn't answer and he left the room to get to his uncle's old room where he'd be sleeping. As he lay in bed looking up at the dark ceiling he wondered where his father was and what he was doing at that exact moment.

Nathan was in bed watching the 11:00 news. Tammy was in the shower and he lay alone. His mind was on what had happened between Dylan and Trenton the other day. Dylan hadn't talked to him or his mom much about it. He said he'd take care of him the next NHL camp there was and that was it. Tammy had asked Dylan if he knew anything else about him but all he said was

"Just some stupid kid from Maine."

He partially wished that they could have become friends but Evangeline thought that they were better off enemies. Tammy came out of the bathroom and he only looked up at her when she said

"Look what I bought today, do you like it?" She was wearing a little see through pink nightgown.

"Ya," he said going back to watching TV not interested in her. She shut off the TV and climbed onto the bed and straddled him.

"Don't you want me?" she said seductively. He felt annoyed and said

"Not now Tammy," he tried to sit up but she held him down and said

"What's wrong with you lately? We haven't had sex in weeks!" she said angrily.

"I cant do this right now Tammy," he said. He picked her up off of him and got up out of bed.

"Is there someone else again?" she said. He stopped walking towards the door but didn't turn around to look at her. "Is it that little slut Evangeline again?" He felt shocked. They had never openly discussed Evangeline even though they were both aware of the affair. He didn't answer and walked out of the room.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.