‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Sixteen

July 20th, 2027
Wednesday
Evangeline’s House, Jefferson, ME
5:30 P.M.

The next few days in Nashville were spent relaxing around the farm and catching up. Trenton didn’t ask his uncle anymore questions and they left for home Monday and arrived Wednesday. When Evangeline checked her email she found out there would be one more training camp in a few months. She went and found Trenton in the living room.

"There's a final training camp next month."

"Can't wait," said Trenton still watching TV.

"Are you gonna take this seriously?" asked Evangeline.

"Ya," he said. "Do I have to finish school now?"

"Yes you do," she said. "I want you to graduate." He let a sigh of frustration and said

"What does it matter if I'm going to be a hockey player?"

"You don't know how things could go; it'll be good if you have a high school diploma." He didn't answer and she went to make dinner.

Trenton walked into Rob's room for therapy again. It was the third time he'd gone and he'd opened up somewhat to him.

"How was the training camp?" asked Rob.

"It was good, but going to Nashville was the best. I asked my uncle about my dad."

"What'd he tell you?"

"Different then what my mom has told me. She's lying to one of us."

"Maybe you should bring it up to her and ask her why she lied?" said Rob.

"I might just do that," said Trenton.

"I think you have a lot of hatred built up inside you. Maybe knowing who your father is will make you feel more at rest."

"If I find out he left my mom because he didn't want to raise me or Lucy, or cheated on her, I'm gonna beat the crap out of him."

"Don't assume the worst; there could be a good reason why he and your mother couldn’t be together."

"I won't take a dumb excuse from him." said Trenton. "He better have a pretty good fucking reason."

Later that night Trenton sat on his computer staring at the screen in deep thought. If only he knew a bit more like a specific location or even a first name. Maybe then he’d be able to find his father. He decided he wasn’t going to sit there bored so he called Damon.

“Hey you have anything going on tonight?” he asked.

“Playing Xbox with some people,” he said.

“Can I join?”

“Ya come on over.” He said. Trenton checked to make sure his mother was asleep and then left the house.

He got to Damon’s and of course sat down and drank whatever was offered to him. Damon had also been passing a blunt around but Trenton had refused. He had never done any drugs. He had tried weed once and hated it. He stayed there until the early hours of the morning and then despite being completely wasted decided to drive home himself.

“Are you sure you’re good enough to drive?” Asked Damon only slightly buzzed.

“Ya,” said Trenton in a slurred voice. “You worry too much.” Damon watched him stumble out the door and to his car. Trenton knew these people weren’t real friends. If they were they’d of stopped him from getting into the car that night. His drunken state began to impair him greatly as he swerved slightly of the road. He pressed his foot further down onto the pedal, speeding up. There was no one else on the road and he was about halfway home when he violently swerved off the road and crashed headlong into a large oak tree.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.