‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Seventeen

July 23rd, 2027
Saturday
Evangeline’s House, Jefferson, ME
3:00 A.M.

Evangeline awoke to the phone ringing on her nightstand. She sat up and looked at the clock seeing it was 3:00 in the morning. She groaned in exhaustion. If it was Nathan calling she’d kill him. She picked up the phone and said in a croaky voice

“Hello?”

“Hello Ms. Beauregard? This is Officer Curtis, I’m sorry for calling you this late but I believe we have your son Trenton in the hospital.” She sat up out of bed feeling terror course through her.

“What?” she said in a voice filled with fear.

“Your son was in a car accident, we believe it was because he was heavily intoxicated. We found his car crashed into a tree.” It was one of a mother’s worst fears, besides having her child get kidnapped. She let out a sob and the police officer said “I’m really sorry we had to tell you this Ms. Beauregard. We have him a Miles Memorial Hospital. All we know on his condition is that he’s unconscious, there are doctors working on him right now.” Evangeline said

“I’ll be right there.” She hung up and quickly pulled a coat around her. She went into Lucille’s room and woke her up and told her what was going on. Lucille sat up out of bed looking on the edge of tears herself.

“Can I come?” she asked.

“Yes just put on a coat, don’t change we don’t have time.” The two sped to the hospital. Upon arrival they met the police officer out front that Evangeline had been on the phone with.

“Where is he?” said Evangeline still crying.

“Follow me,” he said. He led her in and up to the room where Trenton was being kept. Evangeline burst out into tears again when she saw her son lying on the hospital bed surrounded by doctors. He was in nothing but boxers and had a cast around his hand and several bandages around his arms, legs, and chest. What scared her the most was the large bandage that covered the top of his head and down the sides of his face. Bad bruises covered his body and he was still unconscious. A nurse came over and said

“He’s going to be fine. His right hand and fingers are broken. He has a bad concussion along with some deep cuts on the top of his head and the right side of his face which will be scars once they heal over. There is no permanent brain damage and he has severe bruising on the majority of his body. I think it’s lucky that no other parts of his body were broken besides his hand; they found his car smashed into an oak tree.” Evangeline pulled herself together, he would be ok.

“When can I talk to him?” she asked still in a quiet fearful voice.

“They’ve finished cleaning out the wounds and stitching them up so whenever he comes to. You can stay here if you want.”

“Thanks,” said Evangeline. A row of cushioned chairs ran along the wall next to the bed so she and Lucille took a seat. No matter how tired she was she wouldn’t be able to sleep until she had talked to Trenton. Lucille had already dozed off in the chair, leaning back against the wall. She took out her phone and couldn’t stop herself from calling Nathan despite the hour.

Nathan wasn’t actually asleep. He was lying in bed staring up at the ceiling like he had been for the past few nights. Tammy had told him to sleep in the guest room until he was going to be a loving husband to her. He had faked their relationship for the past fifteen years why was he failing now? He jumped a little in surprise when his cell phone rang. He quickly picked it up so Tammy wouldn’t hear the ring in the next room.

“Hello?” He recognized Evangeline’s sweet voice and smiled

“Hey, I was just thinking about you.”

“Trenton’s in the hospital.” She said in an upset voice.

“What?” said Nathan suddenly becoming serious. “What happened?”

“He got into a drunk driving accident, he hit a tree.” Nathan stood up out of bed feeling devastation crash down on him.

“Is he going to be ok?” asked Nathan.

“I think so,” she said. “This is horrible, I need you right now.” He felt like his heart was being ripped in two as he heard her say those words.

“I know baby I’m sorry I’m not there.” He knew what he had said wasn’t good enough of an apology. He heard her soft crying and a strong feeling of anger towards Tammy came over him. He didn’t care if it pissed her off he was leaving to see his son in the hospital.

“I’ll be there as soon as possible,” he said. “I’m coming up now.”

“Are you really?” she said quietly.

“Yes absolutely, nothing is going to stop me Angie.” He didn’t wake Tammy up and instead quickly got dressed into jeans and a T-shirt and left. His anger seemed to build as he drove. This was exactly the sort of thing he had been afraid of. If he had been there for her all along this wouldn’t have happened. He gripped the wheel so much it hurt his fingers. He had set up his life to be miserable since he turned nineteen and decided to get engaged. He had been so young. It hadn’t even been a year after he met Tammy that he’d proposed to her. He thought she was an unbelievable catch. She was a playboy bunny so he was quick to make her his as soon as possible. Everything had been so rushed.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.