‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Nineteen (Edited)

July 26th, 2027
Tuesday
Evangeline’s House, Jefferson, ME
3:00 P.M.

Trenton stayed in the hospital for another few days and then was allowed to leave. Most of the bandages were taken off of the minor cuts on his body but he had been ordered to keep the large bandage over his head and down the right side of his face for the deep wounds. He still had a cast around his hand and his concussion was slowly going away.

It was on Tuesday that Nathan told Evangeline he was going to Florida. She got his call after lunch after sending Lucille and Trenton over to Jason's.

"Hello," she said.

"Hey," he said. She could tell he was upset.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I have to go to Florida on Thursday," he said. "Tammy's making me; she said if I don't come she'll tell Dylan and Zach about what happened between us. I have to go I can't let them find out."

"How long are you gonna be gone?" she said.

"Until next hockey season." he said.

"You won't be able to see me?" she said sadly.

"Not as much as I'd like to, I'm so sorry Ang."

"It's ok," she said. "Dylan and Zach shouldn't know about what happened. That's the most important thing."

"You can come down to Florida and see me; I'll pay for the flight." She quickly updated him on Trenton and then said she had to go. Once she had hung up she sat down at the kitchen table and cried. So many things were pulling them apart.

Nathan packed the last suitcase into the car and turned around and looked sadly at the house. He wished he was staying there and not going down to Florida. He went around to the other side of the car and got into the drivers seat. Dylan and Zach were in the back watching a movie on the car's TV. Tammy smiled at him from the passenger sear. He started the car and backed out of the driveway.

Evangeline, Trenton, and Lucille all sat around the dinner table eating. Evangeline couldn't stop looking at the long partially healed cuts that ran from the top of her son's head and down his face. They’d taken the bandages off earlier. No doubt they'd scar into long noticeable streaks. At least his eyes were unaffected. Everyone around the table was quiet as they ate. Trenton knew his mother was watching him. He was in a bad mood he hadn't been able to do much for the past week because of the accident.

"What is it?" she said.

"I can't take the fact that I don't know who my father is," There was instant tension in the room. Trenton could see Lucille looking at him in shock from the corner of his eye. His mother's face instantly fell into an upset sadness. She put down her fork and folded her hands in front of her mouth. She looked down at the table like she was in deep thought. Trenton saw Lucille glaring at him with angry eyes. "I want to know mom, please tell me!" He saw a single tear fall from her eye that she gently wiped away. "I asked Uncle Troy about it and he told me that Lucille and I are half siblings. You told me we are full siblings. What's the truth?" She looked at him with pain filled eyes. She took a deep breath, holding back tears and said

"I can't tell you,"

"Why not?"

"You're better off not knowing." she said in a shaky voice.

"I NEED to know!" he said standing up from the table.

"Sit down Trenton!" said Lucille getting up with him. She grabbed his shoulder and tried to pull him back down. Evangeline stood up and Trenton said

"No I won't sit! I deserve to know! Who is he?!" In the rage of the moment Evangeline let herself spill.

"IT'S NATHAN HORTON! THE BOSTON BRUINS NATHAN HORTON! ARE YOU SATISFIED NOW?!" Trenton burst out laughing.

"Come on who is it really?" Upset and red faced she said

"I'm not lying to you Trenton. Go look in the fucking mirror at yourself. You're a copy of him!" Lucille felt as if the whole situation was unreal. In a quiet voice she asked

"Is he my dad too?" Her mother looked at her and nodded.

"Are you really believing this bullshit?!” yelled Trenton. “Nathan Horton's married and lives in Boston. I'm not half brothers with Dylan Horton.” He laughed again sounding like a maniac. Evangeline needed to get him to believe her. She went over to Trenton and pulled the silver hockey chain out from under his shirt collar.

"Where do you think you got this?" she said. "Do you remember ever getting it as a gift?"

"No," said Trenton.

"He gave it to you, it was his. He wanted you to have it." She then reached around her own neck and pulled off her locket. She handed it to him and said "Open it." Trenton slowly pulled open the heart shaped locket and stared down at the two names carved into the gold. He threw it back to her and said

"I don't believe this. This isn't real."

"You wanted to know the truth and I'm going to give it to you. Sit down you two." said Evangeline. Lucille felt light headed and literally fell into her seat. Evangeline sat across the table so she was looking at them eye to eye. Feeling a new sense of strange confidence she began her story. She started from the time she was sixteen and first met Nathan right up to the time Trenton had been in the hospital and Nathan had come to see him. When she was finished Lucille looked like she was frozen in shock. Trenton had a blank expression. He knew that it was true. She watched as he slowly looked up at her with wide eyes. He abruptly got up out of his chair and ran for the door.

"Trenton wait!" said Lucille. He didn't listen and slammed the door as he ran out. Evangeline stayed seated as she heard his car start and then screech out of the driveway.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Congratulations to Sydney; This Is You for coming in first in my NHL contest. She has a great creative writing style and you should check out her story A Shot At Glory about the Vancouver Canucks. :)