‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Two (Edited)

June 21st, 2027
Tuesday
Jefferson, ME
3:00 P.M.

As soon as Trenton was out into the middle of the lake he stopped the boat and lifted up the storage hatch and took a full cooler of beer.

“Where do you keep getting all these drinks?” asked Jason.

“From some older guys,” he said. “I pay them and they go buy it for me.” Trenton opened one and began chugging it down.

“Doesn’t your mom find out?” Trenton shrugged and said

“Not always,” Jason took one and the boys sat on the front of the boat with their feet hanging over. There was an awkward silence before Trenton said “Makes me happy I don’t have a father sometimes.”

“Why?” asked Jason.

“It’s easier to get away with things.” Jason didn’t like talking to Trenton about his missing father. He knew Trenton was angry about the whole thing. His mother had left him with a lot of unanswered questions for whatever reasons so Trenton just figured their father had left him and his little sister. For that reason, Trenton hated him. Trenton drank the last of his beer and dove into the water off of the front. He grabbed onto Jason’s foot and tried to pull him in.

“Cut it out man!” said Jason laughing. Trenton didn’t listen and pulled his friend down into the water. They began to wrestle, Trenton jumped on top of his friend and attempted to drown him but Jason grabbed onto his neck and tried to pull him off. He grabbed onto the silver chain with the hockey pendant Trenton always wore around his neck and pulled. Trenton fell off his friend to keep the chain from breaking.

“Sorry,” said Jason coming to the surface.

“It’s ok,” said Trenton readjusting the chain.

“Where’d you get that anyway?”

“My mom I think a long time ago,” he said. “I don’t actually remember getting it as a gift so it must have been when I as a baby or something.”

170 miles away in Boston, Massachusetts, Nathan Horton was watching his son Dylan play hockey. Today was a very special day for Dylan. He was turning eighteen in July and an NHL scout was watching him. Today was the day the decision was made if he was to go to a junior team or to go straight from high school to the NHL. Just the day before Dylan had graduated, he had graduated so young because he had excelled not only at hockey but academically. He had skipped his sophomore year and went straight to his junior year. Nathan kept a close eye on his son as he approached the net. He snagged the puck past the goalie and into the net like he had every other time.

“YES!” said Nathan. His wife, and his other fifteen-year old son Zach stood next to him proudly watching Dylan. The scout came over to Nathan and said

“He’s in; he’s done amazingly which is no surprise.”

“Thank you so much!” said Tammy. She was so overjoyed that she jumped on the scout in a tight hug. Dylan knew he’d made it in and put his stick in the air in celebration. Nathan went down off the bleachers and opened the rink door for Dylan to get off the ice. Zach followed him, eager to see his older brother whom he looked up to so much. Dylan took of his helmet, his face was red with exhaustion and his blonde hair was soaked with sweat but he had a huge grin across his face. His mother let go of the scout and ran up to her son.

“Great job buddy!” said Nathan.

“Thanks dad,” said Dylan smiling as he hugged his mother.

“Where ever you end up going I want to come with you!” said Zach excitedly.

“You’re staying at home until you’re ready to play,” said Tammy smiling.

The scout came over to the family and said

“You’ll be in next years draft,” After celebrating a bit more with his mom, dad, and brother he went off to the locker room to shower and get changed. Nathan knew this day would come ever since the nurses had said Tammy had given birth to a boy in the hospital eighteen years ago. He looked down at his left arm and saw the tattoo he’d gotten fifteen years ago after they’d won the Stanley cup. It was of his wife and Dylan when he was two. He looked at the portrait of Dylan’s smiling face and thought of the grin he’d just had on before going to the locker room. Zach was the next to move onto the NHL. Tammy had gotten pregnant to his surprise, when Dylan was three. Zach looked like him somewhat with a few of his mother’s features. To the world he only had two sons, both champion hockey players, and both bound for the NHL. But he knew of the other two. After loosing Evangeline he couldn’t stay away. She left him with a hole in his heart and he didn’t want her to be gone forever. He still loved her and it hadn’t been hard to find her. He’d looked her up on white pages and found out she was living in a little rural town in Maine. Every so often he’d take a drive up to where she lived and see what she was up to. He felt like such a stalker doing it but he wasn’t going to give her up. She seemed to be living comfortably in a nice white house by a lake. She was still as beautiful as ever. He’d seen Trenton around and only caught glimpses of his daughter. Trenton had turned out to look exactly like him; there wasn’t one thing about him that was different. He had the same facial features, body build, hair color, eye color, and skin color. It was like looking at a younger version of himself, even more so then Dylan and Zach. His daughter, whose name he didn’t know, was a mix of he and Evangeline with her curly hair that she had inherited from him.

He desperately wanted to go up to Evangeline and reveal himself but he knew doing so would shatter the good life she’d built for herself. He did still love Tammy and the two never discussed Evangeline even though he knew she knew about her. Tammy seemed to have left her in the past and their marriage had been good since. But Nathan couldn’t leave her behind. He was happy to see that she hadn’t been with anyone seriously since she’d left him but he knew that wouldn’t last long. What was he going to do when another guy got in the picture? He knew he wouldn’t be able to sit back and watch it happen.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.