‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Twenty

July 28th, 2027
Thursday
Evangeline’s House, Jefferson, ME
3:00 A.M.

Evangeline figured he'd return. Give it a few hours to let the anger or whatever he was feeling out of his system. But she was wrong. She and Lucille had stayed vigilant at the table that night. Lucille had fallen asleep on and off throughout the night, resting her head against the table. They went completely silent, not speaking a word to each other. It was early that morning around 3:00 that she finally said something to Evangeline.

"Does Nathan love me and Trenton?" Evangeline looked up at her daughter and smiled.

"Of course he does, he always has." she said.

"When do you think Trenton will be back?"

"I don't know," said Evangeline. "If it gets to be past 4:00 I'm calling the police."

Trenton had made it a good distance from home. He was already in northern New York after driving for ten hours straight across Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. He had $300 dollars on him, his wallet with his driver’s license, and his cell phone with two bars left of battery. He had stopped at a gas station in Massena, NY to get something to eat and fill up his car. He didn't know where he was going exactly, just away from his mess of a life. He had seen signs directing him to the Canadian border. He knew he couldn't cross into the Canada without a passport and put that idea out of his mind.

As he drove he thought about his name. He never wanted to ever be Trenton Horton; he wanted to stay Trenton Beauregard.

An hour later he was in Alexandria, NY. That's when he began hearing the Amber Alerts over the radio. He listened to the announcer describe him. They got everything right, 6'2", brown eyes, brown hair, the recent scars on his face, and a recovering broken hand. When he began seeing large signs over the highway describing his car he knew he couldn't risk staying on the road. He pulled off the highway and drove until he came into a small little rural town. He drove around a bit before finding a long dirt road that led off back into the woods. There were no houses or lights so Trenton put on his high beams. The road finally came to an end and he stopped his car and got out. He grabbed an old backpack out of the back seat and began looking through the car for anything he could need in the future. He found a lighter and a few extra bucks under the driver’s seat. He locked the car doors and pocketed the keys. He waited for the lights to go out inside the car before walking away into the woods with the backpack slung over his shoulder.

Nathan woke up around 7:00 that morning to start unpacking. While he was getting dressed he turned on the TV to watch the news. He wasn't listening that much until he heard Trenton's name. He looked up and saw the headline as Runaway. He listened to the news reporter give Trenton's description and where he was last sighted, in Burlington, Vermont. He felt sick to his stomach. Why had Trenton run away? He needed to call Evangeline. He looked around for his cell phone unable to find it. He picked up his home phone and called his cell. He heard it ringing downstairs. He hurried downstairs and into the kitchen to find Tammy standing there holding it.

"Gonna call someone?" she said in a mock innocent voice.

"Can I please just have my phone back?" he said. She flipped it open and went to the list of numbers he'd called in the past week.

"Who's this number you keep repeatedly calling?" she said holding it up for him to see Evangeline's number going down the list.

"Just give me the phone," he said reaching for it. She pulled the phone out of his reach and said

"Maybe I'll just give this number a call myself before letting you have it back."

"No!" he yelled diving for the phone. He wacked it out of get hand and sent it flying across the room. It hit the wall and broke in two. "Shit," he said going over and picking up the pieces. He heard her giggle and then walk into the other room with that confident walk she had when she felt accomplished. He used to think it was sexy.

He struggled to remember Evangeline's number to call her on the home phone. He’d have to go down to the Verizon store later on to get a new one before he could call her.

Nathan was the second person after the police she called about Trenton. She was in tears as she dialed his number and pressed the send button. When she got Nathan's voicemail she cursed and threw her phone down onto the table. Why'd he have his phone off? He never usually did. Lucille still hadn't let reality sink in and was sitting in the living room staring off into space. She thought about what she had seen of Nathan Horton. She wasn't into hockey so she’d only seen him playing on TV. She tried to let the idea of him as her father sink in as normal but she couldn't. Then she thought of her brother out there somewhere. Was he ok? Where was he going? Would she ever see him again?
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

I'll be away until tomorrow night so when I get back I'll update.