‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Twenty-Two

July 30th, 2027
Saturday
Gas Station & Rest Stop, Wawa, Ontario, Canada
6:00 P.M.

Trenton awoke to feel Sam shaking him awake.

"Hey Jack we're stopping," Trenton opened his eyes and looked around. Outside he saw that it was night and they were at a gas station/truck rest stop. He sat up and stretched feeling hungry.

"Mind if I go in and grab something to eat?" asked Trenton.

"No, I'm gonna go park and set up for the night anyway." Trenton hopped down out of the truck's door and walked into the store. He chose out three cinnamon buns that were in wrappers and went up and paid. He walked out of the store into the warm night.

He found Sam standing outside the truck smoking.

"Want one?" said Sam offering him the box of Marlboros.

"No thanks," said Trenton. He sat down against the tire and ripped open the cinnamon wrapper feeling starved. "So where are we?" asked Trenton.

"We're more than halfway there," said Sam. Trenton wondered what his mother was doing at that moment. "So what do your folks think about this trip you're taking?" asked Sam.

"My mother's not to happy," said Trenton. "It's only my mother in the house; my father has never been around."

"Mine never was either," said Sam. "But my poor old mom raised me and my four other brothers and sisters as best she could."

"I only have one sister," said Trenton. "And it seems my mom has a hard enough time with just the two of us." Trenton was happy to have some similarities with Sam.

When Trenton finished eating and Sam finished his cigarette the two got into the truck. Sam had a small area up above the seats where he fit a mattress to sleep on. He pushed back the seat so it lay completely flat for Trenton to sleep comfortably on. Trenton listened to Sam's low snoring as he looked out the window at the star filled sky. He wondered what everyone was doing. What were his mother and Lucille doing? And more importantly did his father know about him running away?

Tammy was in the kitchen making lunch when Nathan came in through the door. He felt as if he had lost Evangeline forever. He would never get her back with what had been said. He was upset and he knew he couldn’t neglect Tammy forever or she would leave him. Without Evangeline he didn’t want a divorce that would leave him alone for the rest of his life. He was better off unhappily married to Tammy then completely alone. She noticed he looked upset and she said

"What's wrong?" He looked up at her and to her surprise came over and wrapped his arms around her.

"I love you Tammy," She was shocked by his sudden affection and said

"Love you to Nate."

"Let's go out to dinner later, I'll make reservations somewhere nice." he said.

"Sounds good," said Tammy. He left the kitchen leaving Tammy feeling confused and surprised at his actions but happy that her husband had put a stop to whatever had been going on.

Evangeline felt like she was drowning in her own misery as she sat out on the porch alone. Lucille had decided to finally go upstairs and go to sleep. But Evangeline couldn't sleep, not until her son was home. She saw a police car coming down the street and pull out in front of the house. She got up as the officer got out of the car carrying a box in his hands.

"Ms. Beauregard we found some things this morning we want you to look at." He handed her the small wooden box and she flipped open the cover. Inside there was what looked like a pile of cut up wires, and plastic pieces.

"What is it?" she said.

"It was a cell phone; we found it a few miles north of his car in the woods. We also found this with it." He reached into his pocket and pulled out the broken silver hockey chain. He handed it to her and she looked down at it with sadness. One of the small links had been broken like he had yanked it off his neck.

"This is a good sign Ms. Beauregard. We're on his trail; we have search dogs and helicopters all over the area. He can't have gotten far on foot." She said goodbye to the officer and went back to sit on the porch. She looked at the necklace. Trenton had worn it down over the years. The top silver layer had worn off a bit making it a darker gray color. The corners on the small hockey stick pendant had gone from being pointed to round. It looked like pendant had at one point broken off and he'd re-attached it with a new small silver ring. She went inside and up to his room. She sat down onto his bed and looked around the room. The room was pretty messy and she always had the habit of coming in and picking up for him but today was different. She didn't want to move one thing out of the way it was. He'd left it like this before he'd run away and she wanted to hold on to that familiarity.

Tammy and Nathan sat across from each other at a table. They were at the fancy restaurant Tammy loved in downtown Fort Lauderdale they used to go to all the time. She smiled at him from across the table and said

"There never was anyone else was there?" He forced a smile back at her and said

"Absolutely not, Evangeline and I haven't talked since 2011."

"Good," she said.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.