‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Twenty-Six

August 21st, 2027
Saturday
Portland’s Medical Center, Portland, ME
8:00 A.M.

Trenton’s appointment that morning was first and Evangeline sat in the waiting room for Trenton to come out. She sat scrolling through her phone bored. She decided to play the delete game and go through her contacts and see who she didn’t call much anymore and wouldn’t need in the phone. When she came upon Nathan’s number her finger hovered over the delete touch screen button still considering it. She couldn’t help but leave it; it was the last bit of him she had to hold onto.

“Ms. Beauregard?” She looked up to see a doctor walk in with Trenton behind him. “We’ve removed the cast on his fingers and it looks like they’ve healed up nicely. Trenton came forward and showed his mother his fingers. His middle and pinky fingers had gotten shorter and the fingernails were gone.

“It’s not the bad mom, I thought they had cut off the entire upper half.” said Trenton satisfied with how everything had turned out. Trenton still wore a light weight cast for his broken hand and the doctor said

“And his broken hand is almost completely healed; he can take off the cast next week.” Evangeline thanked and said goodbye to the doctor before going to the downstairs floor where she’d be getting her check-up. She sat alone in the waiting room. Trenton had gone to the car to listen to the radio and wait for her there. A nurse called her name and she went into a small room and sat in a large wooden chair as her doctor wrote some things down onto a clipboard.

“Good morning Evangeline,” she said smiling at her.

“Good morning,” she said. They got right down to business and ran through the usual check-up.

“Have you had any pain or strange illnesses?” asked the doctor.

“I have been having pains in my stomach and head, they started a few weeks ago.” The doctor nodded as she scribbled something down onto her clipboard.

“Do you mind taking a couple of tests to see if it’s anything basic that we can easily fix?”

“I wouldn’t mind,” said Evangeline standing up from the chair. Her doctor led her to another room and they took a few X-rays of her abdomen and her back. Then she was sent back out the waiting room while the doctors observed the photos. She quickly texted Trenton and told him she’d be a bit longer when her doctor called her back in. She was brought over to where the X-ray photos had been laid out and looked at. Evangeline looked at them and thought nothing looked out of the ordinary.

“I don’t know if this is bad or good news for you Evangeline,” sad her doctor carefully. “But from the looks of these photos you’re around six or seven weeks pregnant.”

“What?” she said in shock.

“Let me show you,” said the doctor. She held up a side view photo of Evangeline’s stomach. She pointed out all of her main organs and then showed her where the baby was. It was a small mass and Evangeline had missed it before for that reason.

“What do I do?” she said feeling light headed. Her doctor laughed and said

“Go home and prepare for the baby,” It was an unreal situation. Without saying goodbye she slowly backed from the room and then ran out of the building.

Trenton sat in the front seat playing with the radio as he waited for his mom. He looked to see her running towards the car her face looking stricken with fear. He got out and said

“What’s wrong? What happened?” She had no tears on her face but she looked extremely upset. She came over and hugged him. “What’s wrong mom?” he asked again. He began to get worried. “Are you sick? Do you have cancer?!”

“No,” she said looking up at him. “I’m pregnant.” He looked at her strangely and said

“By who?”

“By him,” she said sounding distraught.

“I thought you weren’t talking to him anymore?”

“I was six or seven weeks ago,” she said.

“So what are you gonna do?”

“Deal with it, like I did with Lucille when I left him the first time.” Trenton shrugged and said

“You know there are other options.”

“If you’re suggesting abortion I won’t do it.” She said.

“Why not?” asked Trenton.

“I almost had it done with you. I’m glad I didn’t. It would have been the worst mistake I’d ever made.” Trenton felt a strange feeling of fear and disgust.

“Never mind then,” he said. They got into the car and Trenton decided to drive home. “Do you really want another baby?” asked Trenton. “Are you gonna tell him.”

“I could do it again,” she said thinking about the far fetched dream her and Nathan had thought up about getting married and having another baby to raise together. “But I wouldn’t tell him.”

“Good we don’t need him back in our lives.” said Trenton his voice full of venom. Evangeline put her hand on her stomach which wasn’t showing yet except for a small outward indent that she had thought was just a bit of bloating over the past few weeks. She and Nathan had made quite a big family together if only he was there with her. They were silent the rest of the drive home and when they got home Lucille was in the kitchen making lunch.

“Mom’s pregnant,” Trenton announced before Evangeline got a chance to speak. Lucille turned around and looked at her confused.

“It’s true,” said Evangeline sitting down at the table. “I’m about six or seven weeks along.” Lucille still looked confused. “It’s his.”

“Wonderful,” said Lucille coming to realization. She looked distressed. “Another person to complicate our situation even further.”

“Well what do you want me to do?” said Evangeline. Her daughter had never snapped at her before. Lucille turned around looking angrier then Evangeline had ever seen her.

“Get rid of it, it would be selfish to bring another human into this tangled mess.” Evangeline was horrified at her daughter’s behavior. “Surely you agree with me Trenton?” she turned to her brother.

“I did,” he said. “Until she told me that she considered aborting me.” Lucille softened a bit and said

“Did you consider aborting me?” Evangeline shoke her head and said

“Not once, after thinking about how unimaginable life would be without Trenton. I knew it was a horrible idea.” Lucille dropped her head in shame and said

“I’m sorry mom I just got frustrated with everything that’s gone on.” The room was silent before she said “Maybe it would have been best to not tell us who our father was.”
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.