‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Twenty-Seven (Edited)

January 30th, 2028
Monday
Renys Department Store, Newcastle, ME
3:00 P.M.

Evangeline spent the next few months preparing for the baby. Trenton and Lucille went back to school in September and Evangeline went back to work. She didn't talk to Nathan or see him except for when hockey season started and Trenton had the TV on to watch the Bruins. The house had only three bedrooms so Evangeline would keep the baby in her room until Trenton moved out. It felt strange to be pregnant again. The easiest thing about this pregnancy was that she didn't get severe morning sickness like she had with Lucille. She was due in early April and when she reached 18 weeks she went and found out that she'd be having another girl. Lucille and Trenton were happy about having a little sister and Lucille promised to help her mother as much as possible when it came as Trenton would be away playing hockey. She and Lucille often went shopping to get new clothes for the baby.

“Look at these!” she heard Lucille call out excitedly. She turned around to see her go over to a rack of pretty pink and frilly dresses. “These would be perfect!” Evangeline smiled as she saw her daughter pull several of their hangers.

“I don’t know if we can afford all of those.” said Evangeline looking at the large bundle in her daughter’s arms.

“I’ll pay for some of it,” said Lucille brightly. Evangeline smiled and said

“You don’t have to do that Lucy,”

“But I want to!” she said.

“Alright thanks,” said Evangeline. She and Trenton had become so helpful it was unbelievable. She needed to repay them for everything they had done.

“Let’s take a vacation,” said Evangeline.

“What?” asked Lucille looking up from a row of small baby shirts.

“You guys have been so good these past few months I want to repay you. Not a big vacation but something nice like a small trip to somewhere warm.”

“How about a trip to Florida?” asked Lucille.

“That would be nice,” said Evangeline.

Trenton agreed to the go on they decided to stay for a week by the beach. It was a long drive down and they decided to try and make the whole trip by car. They got up at 10:00 and had everything together and packed by 12:00. They left straight away and got on the road. Trenton refused to let her drive and made her sit in the passenger seat. They drove for two hours before going into Massachusetts and Evangeline looked up at the Boston sign gravely.

When they got into the city they were running dangerously low on gas so Trenton pulled into a gas station.

“I’ll be right back,” he said getting out of the driver’s seat. “I’m going to go in and get something to drink.”

“I’m coming with you!” said Lucille quickly getting out of the back seat to follow him. Evangeline got out to pump the gas and didn’t see the black BMW pulling into the parking lot.

Nathan, Tammy, Zach, and Dylan were driving home from a small party that had been thrown by the team when they pulled into the gas station. They pulled into the parking lot so Dylan could run inside the store and buy the Monster energy drink he’d been bugging them about the whole ride home.

“Want anything?” Dylan asked his brother.

“Get me a Monster too,” he said.

Trenton looked up and down for Fiji Water behind the big glass freezer doors. He looked up to see his sister in the other aisle and then heard the store door open. Dylan Horton walked in and in shock, Trenton quickly turned away unsure of what to do. Lucille must have noticed because she walked up next to him and looked at him with uncertainty. Trenton didn’t want to cause a scene and went on pretending he wasn’t there. He saw out of the corner of his eye, Dylan walk over further down the aisle to look at the drinks. Trenton turned around and pushed Lucille ahead of him to leave before Dylan recognized him but it was too late.

“Hey I remember you,” said Dylan. Trenton turned to face his brother and said, holding back an angry retort

“I remember you,”

“You’re the kid who tried to fight me and my father.” Dylan laughed and said “Dumbass.” Trenton wanted to move forward and strangle him but held back. He felt Lucille lightly hold onto his shoulder in case he tried to lung forward. He heard the store door open again and saw his mother walk in.

“What is taking you guys so long?” she said. She looked up and got a shocked expression when she saw Dylan standing there. Dylan laughed and said

“Is this your mom?” He gave Evangeline an up down look and then said “Not to bad for a prego.” Trenton saw red, how dare he insult his mother. He leapt forward and Dylan breaking from Lucille’s grip. He landed a direct punch into Dylan’s cheek. Dylan grunted in pain and took a step back as he held his cheek which was quickly bruising. The store’s employees yelled

“Take it outside don’t do that bullshit in here!” They did as they were told but as soon as they reached the door they were at each other again, punching and kicking. Evangeline yelled at them to stop and tried to pull Trenton back but it was no use.

Nathan saw Dylan coming out of the store with someone and then felt horrified when a fight broke out between him and another man standing at the door. He heard Tammy gasp and he got out of the car.

“Hey break it up!” he said taking a hold of Dylan and giving him a forceful pull backwards so he was no longer in punching distance of the other man. “That’s enough!” he said angrily. When he saw Trenton’s face and Evangeline holding him back he almost thought he was hallucinating.

“Evangeline?” he said. She looked away at him and up at Trenton.

“You get back to the car!” she snapped at him.

“No, not until I’m finished with him!” He broke out of Evangeline’s hands and instead of going back at Dylan he went straight for Nathan.

“You know these people?!” said Dylan to his father confused. Nathan didn’t have time to answer before Trenton took a swing at him. Nathan had no choice but to defend himself and grabbed Trenton’s fist in mid air and pushed him onto the cement. Trenton wasn’t willing to give up and got up again, wiping the streaming blood from his face. He tried to take another swing at Nathan but felt Dylan jump onto his back and bite the side of his face. He howled in pain and decided fall onto his back to crush Dylan between his body and the ground.

Evangeline saw Tammy and her Zach get out of the car and walk over looking at her with anger.

“What the hell are you doing back here?!” she said. Evangeline laughed and said

“I don’t believe you own this city.”

“Pregnant a third time are you,” she said looking at her enlarged stomach. “All your children must have a different father.”

“Actually no,” said Evangeline feeling bold. “All three of them are from your husband.” She saw many different emotions pass through Tammy’s face before she screamed

“YOU LIAR!”

“Absolutely not,” said Evangeline. “Did you really think an eighteen year long affair wouldn’t result in any kids?” Dylan must have heard what was being said and he stood up off the ground to listen, panting heavily from wrestling with Trenton.

“Eighteen years?” said Tammy doubtfully.

“What is going on?” said Zach shocked. Evangeline didn’t seem to hear him and said

“Oh yes, since I was sixteen.” She saw Nathan watching her shaking his head no. She smiled sweetly at him and continued on. “I met him when you went on a trip with your friends sometime after you’d had Dylan. The result of that week-long fling was Trenton nine months later. Then when I was eighteen I came back and met up with him Boston. That lasted until March when you threatened me. The result of that was Lucille.” She looked over at her terrified daughter standing behind her. “Then a few months ago, at the beginning of this past summer we met up again because he revealed himself after fifteen years of watching me every week.” She placed a hand on her stomach and said “And now here we are.” Dylan looked completely revolted and turned to his dad.

“Is this all true?” Nathan hung his head knowing the truth was out.

“It is,” he said quietly. The six stood on the sidewalk in silence looking at each other. Evangeline looked at Dylan and said

“When you were a toddler you and Trenton would play with each other and sometimes when it was me, you, and your father I would be the one taking care of you.” Evangeline began to feel a low pain her stomach and turned to Zach. “I wasn’t around when you were born and I don’t know you but I’m trying to protect you too. All these years he’s been trying to divorce your mother but I’ve been telling him no. I wanted him to stay where he was.” She turned back to Dylan. “I didn’t want him to loose his relationship with you. I didn’t want you to hate him.” The pain grew stronger and she put her hand over her stomach in fear. She wasn’t due for ten weeks. What was going on.

“Come on Dylan, Zach, let’s get out of here.” said Tammy not wanting to handle the truth. Dylan followed his mother. Zach in total shock was pulled along by his mother. He was yelling at her, asking her what was going on. Dylan turned back once to his father and said

“Well she was right, I do hate you.” And then he got back into the car with Tammy and the two drove out of the parking lot. By now the pains were starting to feel like sharp stabs. Evangeline yelled in pain and crouched down.

“Mom!” said Lucille in fear. She went over and bent down beside her. Nathan couldn’t believe what was happening. The secrets and the lies had finally caught up to them all and exploded in the worst possible way.

“I’ve got to get to a hospital,” said Evangeline.

“Are you sure it’s labor pains?” said Lucille.

“I’m positive,” she said breathlessly. Nathan watched her hunched over and wanted to run over and comfort her but he felt frozen in place.

“I’ll drive you,” said Trenton taking the keys out of his pocket. Ignoring him they both helped their mother up and over to the car. He finally came to a realization of what was happening and ran after them.

“I’m coming with you,” he said. Trenton leered at him with hatred and said

“Why should I let you?”

“I want to be there for her.” He said.

“You weren’t there for her any other time why should you be now?”

“Let him come,” said Evangeline. “Let him come Trenton.” Trenton stared at his mother and back to his father wondering to obey her or not.

“Alright get in,” he said. Trenton sped off towards the hospital and watched Nathan in the back seat through the mirror.

“Why do you suddenly care,” he asked coldly. Nathan looked up at his son and said

“I’ve always cared, but your mother refused to let me leave my family.”

“That’s no excuse,” said Trenton narrowing his eyes. “If you had cared you would have left them anyway.” Nathan didn’t have a comeback and instead said

“Listen I remember the day I first held you-” Trenton cut in and said

“Two years or so after I was born no big fucking deal.” Nathan continued and said

“I remember when you looked up at me and called me daddy,”

“I don’t believe that ever happened,” said Trenton. Lucille couldn’t listen to them anymore and said

“Stop it you two!” Nathan looked over at his daughter. “I’ve heard enough of this!” There were tears in her eyes and Nathan desperately wanted to comfort her.

“Don’t cry,” he said softly to her. She looked at him still upset. He smiled warmly at her and slowly lifted his hand to wipe the tires from her face. She didn’t lash out and let him do it. She was comfortable with him, unlike Trenton. Evangeline listened to it all happen as she lay in Lucille’s lap.

“You’re my dad,” she said feeling like she had sounded stupid.

“And you’re my beautiful daughter,” he said looking into her face. Evangeline let out another cry of pain breaking the soft moment. She grabbed onto Nathan’s hand and squeezed it.

“Don’t think you’ll just be accepted into our family now that your wife and son have left.” said Trenton. “You’re not going to use us!” Nathan wanted to tell him he had no intention to but Evangeline yelled again.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Only a few chapters left till the end