‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Twenty-Eight

February 3rd, 2028
Thursday
Mass General, Boston, MA
9:00 P.M.

They ran into the hospital and Evangeline was taken away to a room right away.

“Only one of you can be in the delivery room with her,” said the doctor. The first person Trenton looked at was Lucille.

“I will,” said Nathan “I’m the father.”

“Hold up,” said Trenton. As much as he didn’t want to see a live birth he didn’t want Nathan going in there.

“Do you want to go in?” asked Nathan.

“Not really,” said Trenton. “But anything to keep you from going in. Do you want to go in Lucille?” She looked panic stricken and all the color had drained out of her face.

“I can’t do it,” she said sounding on the edge of tears again.

“Please let me go in Trenton,” said Nathan.

“Alright but if she tells you to leave then listen to her. I don’t want her stressed out.” Nathan smiled at his son and said

“Thanks, it’s good how you’re very protective of her.” The doctor led him down the hall leaving Trenton and Lucille in the waiting room. Nathan walked into the room to see they had already begun trying to get Evangeline to push. He went over to her and said

“I’m here,” For a moment he thought she would tell him to leave but then she said

“I’m glad you’re here.” He smiled and kissed her gently. “I need you.”

“I need you too.” He said. The birth took a long time, far to long. Nathan saw the sun on the horizon as they still were at it. Something was clearly wrong when more doctors came into the room. He listened to them talk urgently to each other. He heard one say

“She’s bled out to much,” he felt fear wash over him and look at Evangeline who after the exhausting hours of childbirth and blood loss was beginning to look drowsy.

“Hold on for me,” he said kissing her on the cheek. She looked at him with a dead gaze and didn’t say anything back. Five minutes later a shrill cry broke the air and the doctor pulled a baby up for everyone to see.

“It’s a girl,” he said. She was premature and extremely small. She was whisked away instantly by a group of nurses to be checked for any problems. The doctor’s began to try and work on Evangeline to stop the hemorrhage. She let out a shuttering breath, her eyes half closed.

“I love you so much, you’re the only one I ever have truly fallen in love with” he said “I’m sorry for everything, if I could take back everything that has happened I would. My words, my choices, everything.” He watched her struggle to swallow as she spoke up.

“I love you too,” she said. He saw a weak smile on her lips. “I forgive you for everything. After I come out of this I want to marry you and raise our baby like we dreamed of. I want to wake up with you every morning knowing all of this pain is over.”

“I can’t wait,” he said. He kissed her one last time on her lips before a doctor told him he had to leave the room. He stood up off the chair and walked towards the door and looked back at her before he left. She gave him another weak smile and he smiled back. He mouthed I love you to her and left the room. When he got out two nurses approached him.

“Would you like to see your daughter?”

“Absolutely,” he said. They brought him to the nursery. The nurse pointed to her in a small crib.

“She’s born early but she seems to be very healthy for a premature baby. Everything is working right. Her lungs are well developed and she’s grown just fine.” He smiled as the little baby squirmed around, trying to kick her legs from the tightly wrapped pink blanket that binded her. Then nurse left and he watched his daughter calm down and go to sleep warm in her soft blanket. He then went back to the waiting room to get Trenton and Lucille. No matter how angry Trenton was with him Nathan saw his expression soften when he saw his little sister.

“Did you name her?” asked Lucille.

“Not yet, they told me I had to leave the room. Your mom was bleeding a lot so they needed to fix her up before anything else.”

“Are you sure she’s ok?” said Trenton. Trying to make the situation sound a lot less severe than it really was he said

“Ya, I’m pretty sure.”
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.