‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Three (Edited)

June 21st, 2027
Tuesday
Evangeline’s House, Jefferson, ME
5:30 P.M.

Trenton came in for dinner when a thunderstorm rolled in over the lake. Jason had to leave because his mother wanted him home early for dinner so Trenton went into the house by himself. He smelled the delicious chicken dinner his mother had made and found his sister sitting at the kitchen table alone.

“Where’s mom?” he asked.

“She went up the straight to grab something for dessert.” He nodded and revealed the crushed up cardboard beer container and the plastic bag of bottles he’d picked up from the boat. He went over and put them in a separate garbage bag so his mother wouldn’t find them. His sister watched him and said

“You should really stop drinking,”

“Sure,” he said tying up the black garbage bag. Lucille knew more about what Trenton did than his mother. They were loyal siblings no matter how much they teased each other. Trenton was protective of his younger sister. She wouldn’t tell Evangeline what he did.

“How do you get away with so much?” she asked.

“Because mom’s never home if you haven’t noticed,” he said laughing. “The only time she finds out about something is if I’m brought home by the cops which has only happened a few times,”

“At least you haven’t been arrested,”

“Not yet,” said Trenton smirking. The front door opened and Evangeline came in holding a cake. The family sat down to eat and as usual Trenton was the first done. He got up from the table and went up to his room. When he got up and shut the door he took out his phone to find a message from his friend Mike. Mike, unlike Jason wasn’t afraid to go against the law. Jason was a pretty grounded kid while Mike could care less like Trenton. The message read: ‘Party tonight at Damon’s from 11 till whenever, you coming?’ Trenton sent back ‘Ya, I’ll be there,” He’d sneak out later that night; he knew where his mother had hidden his car keys. His mother was in bed by 10:00. He decided to sit down and play Xbox until it was time to leave. His mother came in dressed for bed and she sat down on the edge of his bed and said

“Can we talk?” He took off his headphones and said

“Ya,”

“I really wish you’d look into a college and apply for a hockey scholarship.” He knew it was coming. He loved hockey, he felt so free when he was on the ice but he had never had any interest in taking it any further.

“I don’t know,” he said “Who cares where I end up,”

“I do, your sister does, your grandfather does,” said Evangeline.

“I’m sure my father doesn’t care,” said Trenton angrily.

“Please don’t bring that up again,” she said. “We’re done talking about that.”

“Whatever you say mom,” He turned back to his game and Evangeline still glared at him, feeling defeated. She stood up and looked back at her son feeling miserable. He had so much hatred inside of him.

“I just want you to have a better life than I ever did.” She said. She left his room and headed back to her bed. She shut off the light in her room and went over to the window and looked out at the lake. What had she done wrong? She’d given him everything he needed to succeed and motivate him.

Trenton checked to see if his mother was asleep an hour later and saw she was. His sister was still awake but he didn’t care, he knew she wouldn’t say anything. He went downstairs. The house was completely dark. He quietly went into the kitchen and over to the potted plant that sat on the counter. He had already found out so many of his mother’s hiding spots that she had resorted to burying his keys in the dirt of the potted plant. He dug down a bit and found them. He carefully opened and shut the door and re-locked it. The night air was cool and foggy from the thunderstorm. One streetlight lit up their street and there was no one around. He went over to his car and got in. His mother’s bedroom was on the other side of the house so she wouldn’t see the car lights leaving. He felt victorious as he took off down the street.

Trenton could hear the music long before he reached Damon’s house. It was down a long windy road deep in the woods so there were no neighbors to complain which was why Damon threw the best parties. His parents were also never home. Trenton pulled into the parking lot to be greeted by Mike. He got out of the car and instantly had a bottle of Vodka thrown into his hand.

“How you doing buddy?!” said Mike, already drunk.

“Not to bad Mike,” he said. The night had just begun for Trenton.

That evening, Dylan Horton was not sneaking out for a night of heavy drinking but instead was sitting at the long dining room table inside his house in Brookline, Massachusetts. His parents had decided to throw him a party for his entrance into the NHL. Several Bruins players were there, his family, and his friends. His mother and father sat next to him watching their son proudly. His mother stood up and got everyone attention.

“I’d like to thank everyone for coming to celebrate my wonderful and talented son’s entry into the NHL.” She then turned to him and said “Dylan I know you will be great just like your father.” Dylan smiled and said

“Thanks mom,” His father then stood up next to his mother and said

“I’ve been waiting for this day since you were born; there was never any doubt in my mind it wouldn’t happen,” Everyone sitting around the table clapped. Since he had first been put on skates Dylan had trained with the best, life couldn’t get much better for him. He had the easy life that every person wished for. In the medias eye he was the first born champion son of the hockey legend Nathan Horton, and no one was going to take that title from him.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.