‹ Prequel: Never Meant to Be
Status: Whenever I can

Ghosts of Our Past

Chapter Eight

June 29th, 2027
Wednesday
Evangeline’s House, Jefferson, ME
9:00 A.M.

Trenton woke up the next morning at 9:00. He was slow to get out of bed because he didn't hear his mother calling his name to see if he was up. He found it strange he wasn't hearing her at all. Usually she was up before him and he would be able to hear her getting breakfast ready downstairs. But today the house was unusually silent. He turned on his phone and found a message from Damon telling him to meet him down by the boat launch to go out. He sat up and went downstairs.

"Mom?" he called out. No one answered and he figured she was still asleep and decided to go downstairs and check.

Evangeline woke up that morning still wrapped in Nathan's arms as she had been when she had fallen asleep the night before. He was still asleep and she carefully slipped out of his grip to get up. She remembered coming back home after her and Nathan had had their fun out on the lake and falling asleep in her bed. She went out into the hall to go to the bathroom when she heard Trenton call out from downstairs.

"Mom?" She felt a cold fear wash over her. Trenton was looking for her. She quickly went back to her room and shoke Nathan.

"Get up!" she said hurriedly. "Wake up!" He yawned widely and opened his eyes.

"Good morning beautiful," he said.

"Get up quickly!"

"What's going on?"

"Trenton's coming!" she said hearing his footsteps on the stairs. Now wide-eyed Nathan got up out of bed and said

"Where do I go?!" Evangeline looked around and said

"My closet!" She pulled open the white wooden shutter doors and let Nathan slip inside just as Trenton walked in. Nathan watched Evangeline and his son talk through the cracks in the wooden slates.

"You're up late," said Trenton suspiciously. Nathan wasn't surprised to hear that Trenton even sounded like him.

"Sorry Trent I stayed up last night watching TV,"

"It's ok mom," he said. "After breakfast I think I'm going out for a bit."

"Where?"

"Just out with some people," he said in a slightly annoyed voice.

"Who are you going out with?" she said.

"It doesn't matter I'll be fine!"

"You're not going anywhere unless I know about it!" she said. He didn't listen and walked out of the room. He angrily went downstairs and decided to skip breakfast and just leave.

Evangeline heard the door shut downstairs and Nathan came out of the closet. She looked up at him sadly and said

"He doesn't listen to a word I say, he doesn't care," Nathan hugged her tightly and said

"If anyone should be blamed for this it should be me. If I had been here as a father for him it wouldn't be like this."

"Want me to make you breakfast?" asked Evangeline.

"I'm so sorry I gotta get going, I told Tammy I'd be back by 11:00." They were back to where they had begun fifteen years ago. The secrets and the lies were back. He was to much to resist, she had fallen back into the system she feared she would. She kissed him goodbye and told him to call her before watching him walk out the door and drive off down the street.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.