Me and Maths

Fantasy

Mom was back three days later. It had now been three weeks.
Dad had told me to not annoy her with my questions right away.
I did as he asked. I didn't read the letter thinking that if i did, I'd ask a question that might put her over the edge.
I start work today, my ankle had been rested and now I wrapped it tight in a bandage to support it as I placed it in my old black tights and wiggled into my work experience skirt, and put on the required coffee coloured shirt as I pinned my bangs back. I did my make up on light placing some gloss on my lips.
Each day for the last two weeks Austen had been showing me how to use the machine and what each type of coffee had in it.
I had re-made my playlist on my phone to help me learn the lyrics to Florrie's SundayGirl.
I placed my headphones on and made my way to the shop, ready for the lunch shift, Austen joked that he would ease me in, as the "pre-first coffee shift" was supposedly full of annoyed grumpy customers.

I walked in headphone clad singing along. I see Austen mouth "hello".
I smile popping them from my ears. Music blaring from my ipod.

I pull on my apron and readjust my pins, I smile as I give Austen a hug, ready to start as the door rings open. Austen steps back letting me take my first order; then I see who it is... Aunty Imogen. I freeze. She reels off a dozen orders without seeing who I am. Austen starts to make them, wondering what is up with me I hear him about to say my name I snap out of it and count the completed orders against the sheet Imogen gave me. I smile at Austen reassuringly and whisper "in a minute."

When Imogen still blissfully unaware of me leaves coffee's in hand, I collapse behind the counter in tears.
"Oreal? Who is she?" He asks worried.
"Aunty Imogen, I haven't see her for three years and that was in the mall with her kids." I dry my eyes.
"Oreal if she's your Aunty why did you freeze and why did she blank you?" He asks confused.
"I had blonde hair three years ago, I dyed it to look like my Dad. I had always been told I got my hair from Mum's family, but I think specifically I got it from Imogen... I think she might be my Mum." I smile and stand up as someone enters the shop, I then fufil their order and carry on the rest of the day like normal.

After the lunch rush finished Austen asked if I'd read the letter yet, and I shook my head like every time he'd asked so far.

When we left Austen walked me home and kissed me softly as we embraced and the Austen went across the road back home.