What Happens in Vegas

Prologue

"Are you sure you're ready to do this?" Garrett said. I nodded, staring down at my yellow high tops. It was a lie; I wasn't ever going to be ready to talk about being raped. I could make up some elaborate story about how he was a random pervert who drugged me at a bar. Believe me, that would've been much easier. I'm not saying any form of rape is easier and any less bad than another, I strongly believe that any kind of rape is as sick and intolerable as the next, but when your rapist is the guy you loved with your whole heart and believed was the one...it just stings even more than a random perv. It makes the tears fall quicker, you know? Cause you know all those years, all the memories, everything...it was just a lie. He didn't just take sex unwillingly from me...he took 2 years of my life.

We entered the police station as I clutched Garrett with my trembling hands. The place was noisy, cops rushing around everywhere and locking up prisoners.

"We need to report a rape."
_____

They sat us down with a detective, Detective Kayte. I made them let Garrett stay in the room.

"How long ago were you raped?" She said, her almond shaped hazle eyes sympathetically looking at me. She reminded me of my mother.

"About a month ago, by my boyfriend. Well, my ex boyfriend Daniel." My voice cracked on the last syllable, as tears filled my eyes and my throat ached. Garrett squeezed my hand, putting his free arm around me.

"Can you tell us about the attack?"

I breathed in deeply through my nose, and closed my eyes. "My cousin John decided to do a summer trip to Vegas. You know, since my family owns the bellajio."