Sequel: Back to Black

Falling Inside the Black

13

Remus’ form began to shake like a branch against the wind. Sirius and I ran to him, Sirius grasping him by his shoulders. Harry, Hermione, and Ron huddled together away as far as Ron’s injured leg would allow. I could practically hear Remus’ heartbeat pound in my ears or perhaps it was mine.

“Remus my old friend” Sirius began shaking him slightly “Have you taken your potion, tonight?”

Remus began to groan in pain pulling away from Sirius. “You know the man you truly are, Remus. This heart is where you truly live this heart here! This flesh is only flesh!”

Remus began to struggle choking back groans as Sirius wound his arms around Remus tortured frame. The wand fell from Remus hand and Peter dodged for it.

“Expellimous!” Harry knocked the wand from Peter’s hand.

“Acio wand” I whispered retrieving the wand to myself and handing it off to Hermione without a second glance.
Peter smirked and waved as he began to shrink into himself, his clothes falling into a heap upon the ground as his rat form scurried out.

“No!” I cried running to catch the traitor I lost my footing and fell with a thud knocking the air from my lungs. As I turned on my back, feet from Remus and Sirius, Remus threw his head back and in one last final cry his body transformed into his werewolf state. Sirius cried for the children to run before Remus threw Sirius away from him.

I pulled myself up and stood before the children just as Snape emerged from the hollow and did so himself. Remus snarled baring his teeth as I stood my ground. Raising his paw he slashed it across my chest as I fell over from the impact bringing the children with me, Hermione letting out a scream. Blood coated my shirt when suddenly Sirius bounded through the air in his anamagus form and took his stance before us. Snarling and snapping his chops before Remus.

They locked up both biting and snarling at each other. I stood and jumped at Remus my form changing midair. My claws dug into the side of Remus neck as he released his death grip on Sirius and scratched at me desperate to pull me from his back, he tore skin and more blood flowed from my body but I tucked my head under and held on, I had to.

Finally wrapping his paws around my throat he threw me over his head and into a boulder a sick crack echoing in my head. Sirius snipped at Remus before running off into the forest, Remus following. Pulling myself up I whimpered in pain as my left arm wanted to give way but I pushed away the pain and pushed forward running as fast as I could following them deeper into the dark wood.
I followed the destruction of marred trees and disturbed leaves finally finding Sirius alone. He had changed back to his human state and stumbling as he walked. I followed him finding he had collapsed beside a small, stagnant pond. I changed myself and ran to him cradling my arm to limit its movement. I fell on my knees before him and turned his body onto his back. He was unconscious and his shoulder had been ripped open and was bleeding heavily. I bite back a cry of pain as I pulled my bloody cloak off and placed it over him.

“Ella, Sirius? Is he ok?” Harry yelled skidding through the trees and down the embankment to us. He too fell to his knees and evaluated Sirius comatose state “No” he whispered.

“He’s alive” I choked out, not realizing until then that I had begun to cry “but Harry we have to get him back to the castle. He’s hurt badly and I can’t help him, not here.”

“Ok, we’ll-“ Harry stopped and looked at the water that lay mere centimeters from us. The air blew with a sudden sorrowful frost. The water beginning to compact together into one frozen mass, Sirius eyes flew open and he began to yelp as his breathing became labored. Harry and I looked up to see a throng of black, cloaked masses circle above us. One at a time, they began to descend each attacking I threw myself over Sirius not wanting him to endure this torture any more than he had in the last twelve years . Lord knows how much more he could take, how much his soul could take. Harry stood withdrawing his wand.

I looked up at him “Expecto patrunum Harry you can do it.”

He cast the spell and repelled away a few dementors the shield glowing ghostly white ,before the connection broke and they attacked again.

A few fed off me back to back constantly and I felt my world go black before falling onto Sirius body.

~*~
I was numb. Numb from head to toe with a slight edging of pain and heaviness in my limbs. I pried my eyes open and was blinded with light. I moaned and shifted finding my left arm restrained and my chest tight. Using my right arm I tried to sit up.

“Oh no deary you mustn’t get up. You’re in too far of a fragile state” Madam Pomfrey declared adjusting the pillows behind me to where I could sit up better. “How are you feeling love?” she asked pouring me a cup of pumpkin juice.

“Like bloody hell.” I mumbled taking the cup with my right hand and tasting the juice “What happened?”

“Oh dear they found you and Potter out in the Dark forest with that Sirius Black! You took quite a beating your collarbones been crushed, your shoulder dislocated and you wrist fractured all on the left side. Some ribs were broken and you had some nasty cuts especially on your chest. I lathered you up with my special herb medicine and stitched em up as best I could.”

“What happened to Harry? And Sirius?”

“Oh the Potter boy is fine sleeping across the way from you there. And Black? Why he’s up in tower locked away like he should be! Don’t you worry Ella he can’t hurt you anymore.”

With a pat on my leg she walked out and drew the privacy curtains back and I let the tears fall. My chance at happiness had been taken away so easily. Sirius would be returned to Azkaban and more than likely he would receive the kiss that would take his very soul. I had to see him.
I struggled out of bed and found my clothes folded beneath the bed. I changed back into them with some struggle and slipped out of the infirmary. I raced to the tower and finally reached the cell a little after sundown.

“Sirius” I breathed falling to my knees outside the iron door. His head snapped up and his eyes met mine surprise flashing through them as he made his way closer to me.

“You’re hurt” he whispered reaching through the bars and caressing the skin just above the heavy stitching , his fingers grazing up to the tourniquet that held my arm secure.

“I’m fine” I whispered taking his hand that was surveying the damage in mine. I brought his hand to my face and pressed a kiss to his palm. “I brought you some food”
I handed him the wrapped parcels of sweets, bread and meat but he placed it aside shaking his head. “I don’t need any of that, I have what I need right here.” He breathed softly cupping my face. I blinked back the tears furiously and couldn’t help but let a smile break.

“I’ve missed you Sirius. So, so much.”

“I understand. I thought of you every minute of every hour. Your smile your laugh. It helped me make it through. The memory of you gave me happiness and a light not even the dementors could take away.”

We sat and talked for hours. Holding each other’s hand through the iron bars not wanting to let go, the castle was soon quiet and the ache in my body began to increase.

“Its getting quiet” Sirius mused stroking my hand with his thumb. “I’ve missed the times when we were here, the simpler times.”

I hummed my agreement and kissed the back of his hand. Sirius watched me mournfully. “They’ll come for me at dawn…”

I closed my eyes at the statement. “Why has this happened to us?”

“Its just the hand we were dealt darling. Life has happened to us all the same. Everyone just takes a different road.”

Two sets of footsteps raced forward and I feared of the presence the sound brought with it. My grip tightened on Sirius’ hand but relaxed as I saw who it was.

“Harry?”

“Step aside” he ushered helping me up and instructing Sirius to back away.

With a mighty wave of her wand Hermione sent a spell destroying the lock of the cell. Sirius scampered out and we followed Harry and Hermione away from the tower. We were soon swooshing through the air on Buckbeak’s back landing safely in the courtyard. We all dismounted and Sirius took Harry aside to say his goodbyes, knowing the situation I knew I couldn’t go with him when he fleed the castle and the thought caused another stabbing pain through the chest straight to my heart. I stroked Buckbeak’s neck affectionately.

“Take care of him Buckbeak” I whispered kissing his feathery neck.

“..The ones that love us never really leave us and you can always find them in here.” Sirius spoke placing his hand over Harry’s heart and looking up at me. He stood and and walked to my cupping my face he kissed me feverishly and pulled away.

“How are you so beautiful?” he questioned me.

“Please Sirius” I begged “Please let me go with you”

He sighed heavily placing his forehead to mine “You know I would if I could. I don’t want to put you in that type of danger. You’re needed here. Harry needs you and so does Remus.”

At the sound of Remus name my heart sank and filled with guilt as my eyes cast downward.

“Hey” Sirius spoke catching my chin “Its only goodbye for a little while. I love you and I will find you again”

“Swear it”

He chuckled “I solemnly swear that I will find you again Ella Black and when I do I’ll never leave you again.”

“I love you Sirius Black” I whispered capturing his lips once more.

“I love you too El. But before I go” he reached tenderly for my right hand and slipped my wedding ring off and placed it softly back on the left kissing it after he was done “Now it back where it belongs”

Climbing onto the back of the beast he bid his last goodbye “ Take care of her Harry”
We three watched as he ran the beast at a gallop before ascending into the sky their silhouette fading into the full moon. Harry and Hermione soon ran off but I stayed staring at the last place I had seen his form. I prayed for his safety and for the opportunity for him to fulfil his promise.