Sequel: Back to Black

Falling Inside the Black

3

“Sirius!”

I sat straight up my eyes popping open to look at my surroundings as worry pulsed through my veins mixing with my blood. I saw I was in my room in bed with a clean night gown on and candles lit at the tables around the room.

It was a dream.

Sighing I fell back on to my pillow and closed my eyes. It was all just a dream I repeated in my head. I brought my hands up to my face but then pulled them back.

Gauze was wrapped neatly around them covering my palms. The memory of my falling in the woods and scraping my palms played in my head. I quickly pulled the covers off of me panic rising again suddenly. I quickly tied my robe around my waist. I stopped mid step seeing the clothes that had been forgotten out during the storm clean, dry and neatly folded on the dresser. Panic rose from the tips of my toes to my head as I quickly ran down the stairs my hand sliding gracefully down the sleek wooden handrail. I came to the kitchen and looked down around to see everything was exactly how I had left it except for a spare glass was left out on the table beside an empty plate that wasn’t there before.

Out of nervous habit I reached up and felt around my neck the locket was back in its place. I pulled it taught against my neck and glanced down at it with my left hand. I pulled my hand back and looked to see my wedding ring was back on my left ring finger. It hasn’t been on that finger since Sirius was sent away to Azkaban. I pulled it off and put it back on my right ring finger as I turned and ran back up stairs. Finding Augustine on her perch I went to my desk and pulled out a clean roll of parchment, quill, and ink. Quickly scribbling a message onto the parchment I folded the paper and placed it in an envelope. Taking the lit blue candle in my hand I dropped a few drops of wax onto the seal and took the stamp in hand pressing it into the drying wax branding the envelope sealed with my family’s crest.

“Augustine. Come.” I said. She quietly flew onto of my shoulder and waited for her next instruction. I walked to the bedroom window and opened it letting the cool morning air hit my face. I gave the letter to Augustine who took it in her beak.

“To Dumbledore” I told her “quickly. Its urgent.”

With a flap of her wings she left my shoulder and flew out into the sky towards Hogwarts. After shutting the window I quickly showered.

I changed into a pair of dark jeans, a black camisole, and a light pink cardigan. I pulled the belt to my waist and pulled on my boots before doing my hair. After all of this Augustine had still not returned so I decided to pack a bag just in case Dumbledore wants me to go somewhere safe.
Even after this Augustine was still not back sitting on my freshly made bed my mind began to reel back in time.

~The copious darkly clothed bodies swarmed around the tiny room below me, Remus at my side, I gently placed a hand on the cool glass that separated us from the trail room. With a comforting hand on my shoulder Remus observed with me as well. Not long after everyone took their appropriate seat the eerie creaking of a crane sounded as the cylinder shaped metal cell was lifted into the middle of the room.

“Sirius Black III you have been convicted of murdering Peter Pettigrew, twelve muggles, and are also convicted of being an accessory to murder against James and Lilly Potter. Do you understand your charges?” the young Barty Crouch asked.

Sirius gave a curt nod a scowl playing along his features. He looked thinner since the last time I had seen him almost a week ago. His cheeks had begun to sink in slightly and his hair was shiny with oil. His eyes were puffy and dark as if he had slept at all..

“And how do you plead?” Crouch continued.

“Not guilty, sir. I did not kill my friends or any muggles for that matter!!” Sirius spoke calmly at first before breaking out into a yell gripping the steel bars of the cell. “I’M NOT A MURDERER!!! IT WAS PETER!! HE SOLD JAMES AND LILLY TO VOLDEMORT!!”

“Mr. Pettigrew is dead by your own hand so unless you give us any real evidence that you did not commit these crimes then you will be sent back to Azkaban prison.” Barty stated in a professional tone glancing down at the papers.

“IT WAS BLOODY PETER I TELL YOU!!! HE DID THIS NOT ME!! I WOULD NEVER BETRAY MY FRIENDS!!” Sirius cried in hysterics

“Silence!!” Barty pounded the metal handheld gavel. “Since Sirius Black has not been able to prove he did not commit these crimes I sentence him to a lifetime of solitary confinement in Azkaban prison.”

“No!! NO! I DIDN’T DO THIS!!” Sirius’ yells echoed through the room. I covered my mouth with my hand to keep myself from yelling out or being sick, I wasn’t sure which. Remus pulled me to him as tears slipped down my cheeks and I shook with sobs. I continued to stare at Sirius from Remus’ chest and he seemed to feel my stare through all his yells because he looked up at me.

“ELLA!! REMUS!! YOU KNOW ME! YOU KNOW I DIDN’T DO THIS!! PLEASE I WOULD NEVER DO THIS TO JAMES OR LILLY!! I DIDN’T DO IT!!”
I turned fully into Remus’ chest clenching my eyes closed tightly. Remus whispered words of comfort but I never heard them.

“Remus, can we go? Please?” I squeaked out.

“Of course love. Come on.” He assured me wrapping an arm around me. Sirius’ yells still echoed through the empty halls as Remus and I walked to the exit.

Ella I love you please!! Believe me I didn’t do this!!” were the last words I heard as Remus closed the door to the leave the trial observation window.~

Tapping at my window brought me back to reality as I looked up I saw the flutter of wings and knew it was Augustine. Quickly jumping from my seat on the bed I opened the window and took the letter from her beak as she flew back to her cage where food was waiting for her. Hastily ripping the envelope I reached inside and pulled out the parchment. Scanning over Dumbledore’s messy yet elegant scrawl I quickly folded the parchment and put it in my cardigan pocket, picking up my luggage I turned to Augustine
.
“Back to Hogwarts.” I told her.

I loped down the stairs and went to the foyer with a wave of my wand all the lights in the home were diminished and all locks locked. I closed the door and locked it before walking out a few yards and assembling a protective charm over the entire property. With a sigh I closed my eyes and focused on Hogwarts. I really hated apparting but Dumbledore had said it was the only way to the castle since the ministry has closed all the fire places since Sirius escape. A feeling of being squeezed through a tube the size of a pin needle filled my body as wind swirled and flapped at the small lose strands of hair. Landing with a thud against the grass I opened my eyes to see myself in front of the gates. It was dark now and the silhouette of Hogwarts was even darker against the dark mass of the sky with its twinkling lights reminding me of fireflies. The breeze of fall was beginning to blow causing me to shiver at the chilliness
.
‘E’llo Ella” a deep gruff voice greeted me.
I looked up to see the half giant game keeper

“Hello Hagrid. How are you?”

“I be doin’ a’right. What about you Dumbledore said you would be under Hogwarts’ protection?” he asked taking the suitcase from my hand and lifting it like it was a feather.

“I’ve been alright. I-um I. Sirius came to me the other day.” I said looking up at him through the darkness as we walked down the path. Even through the darkness I could see his spine straiten.

“He didn’t hurt you did he?”

“No. Well I don’t think so. See I fainted after seeing him and woke up in bed today. I fell at some point and scratched my palms but they were wrapped and dressed this morning and he was gone.”

“Sounds like he playing with yer mind.” Hagrid suggested as we continued to walk. Before long we walked through the doors of Hogwarts castle seeing the elaborate castle brought back fond memories.

Hagrid led me up multiple stairs and corridors before stopping in front of a bird shaped statue. He mumbled a few words before the statue began to move upward revealing a staircase. Together we climbed the stairs and stood before a door. Hagrid knocked and waited for a response.

“Come in”

Hagrid’s large hand pushed the door open and allowed me to step inside first. Portraits of past headmasters of the school hung on the wall snoring slightly. I looked ahead to see a large oak desk stacked with papers, quills, ink, and books. I walked toward the beautiful red phoenix perched on his post and stroked his head affectionately earing an approving squawk. Hagrid had stepped back outside the threshold of the door and closed it giving Dumbledore and I privacy.

“Ella” I jumped back at the sudden sound to see Dumbledore standing at the top of a set of stairs that led to his private chambers.
“Its good to see you. Tell me how are you?” he asked descending down the stairs. His long gray hair framing his old face along with the matching silver beard that hung from his chin.

“I’ve been better Professor giving the circumstances.”
He nodded “Yes I see.” walking over to a table holding a silver tray with crystal bottles of whisky and brandies. “Would you like a glass of fire whisky?” he asked sincerely.

“Yes, please. Thank you.” I smiled slightly as I took the offered glass and took a small sip enjoying the burning sensation taking over my body chasing the cold feeling away and replacing it with a warm tingling feeling.

“So” Dumbledore began after a short pause “what news is it you have of Sirius Black? He came to you correct?”

“Yes sir. I don’t know what to do anymore. Everything had been fine for 14 years and now this happens… It’s starting to feel like it did before but this time he’s not here to help me through it.” I spoke my voice soft as I stared into the fire whisky.

“Ella. You still love him don’t you?”

My eyes shot up at Dumbledore’s in slight shock

“I-I’m uh” I sighed lowering my head. “Yes. I do. No matter what the ministry says I still don’t believe he committed those murders. Everyone else has put the fear inside me that he really did, but I couldn’t see Sirius, my Sirius, killing his best friends……I just.. I don’t know any more Professor.”

“I believe yours and Sirius’ story has not yet reached an end Miss Scott. There are still explanations that need to be told.”

“What do you mean Professor?” I asked confused my eye brows’ knitting together.
Dumbledore chuckled softly shaking his head. “Why don’t we get you to bed .It’s been a long and trying day I’m sure. Hagrid will show you to your room.”
I nodded slightly confusion still present on my face as I walked to the door.

“Goodnight Miss. Scott.”

“Goodnight Professor” I returned stepping out to see Hagrid waiting.
Hagrid walked with me down the corridors and stopped in front of a door.

“Well here is yer room Miss Ella. Hope you sleep well. ‘Night.” He nodded before walking away. I took the suitcase that he had left beside me and walked inside. It was a former classroom transformed into a bedroom.

I changed into a nightgown and went to the adjoining bathroom washed my face and slid under the covers of the bed. I stared out of the window up at the crescent moon…Dumbeldore's words playing in my head.

How much longer did our story have?
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENTS=CHAPTERS!
Outift
flaskback