Sequel: Back to Black

Falling Inside the Black

5

After leaving Remus’ office I wandered to the library a faint smile ghosting over my hips at the countless hours Lilly and I would stay here and study or talk about our relationship troubles later on in the years. After wandering through shelves I found a book that sparked an interest. I flipped through some of the pages as I walked out of the library.
Continuing to flip through pages I kept my head down and didn’t know of anyone else’s presence until my body collided with theirs.

“Scott?” the voice barked. I looked up from the floor to see the familiar hooked nose and deep black eyes.

“Severus.” I said standing up and dusting my skirt off. “Can’t you address me by my first name? We’re not in school anymore.”

“What are you doing here?” he snarled ignoring my question and handing me my book back.

“Dumbledore’s orders.” I mumbled taking my book back.

“Afraid you dear, sweet husband is going to pay you a visit so you run to Dumbledore for
help.. How cute.” He smirked

“That’s low Severus. Even for you..” I said lowly hugging my book to my chest and pushing past him.

“Have a good evening Ella Black…”

“Bite me Snape!” I barked over my shoulder.

I continued to walk around the castle with the book still hugged to my chest as the thoughts of what had happened in Remus’ office. The kiss had taken me by complete shock, but was sweet and almost romantic in a way. But what about Sirius? I felt like I was betraying him. His wife kissing one of his best friends? But Sirius wasn’t here. Oh! I’m so confused. I confirmed in my head as I leaned against a stone piller with my eyes closed.

“Miss?” I looked down to see a small house elf with purple eyes staring up at me nervously.

“Yes.”

“Professor Dumbledore would like to see you in his office.”

“Ok. Thank you.”

The little house elf nodded and scampered back in the direction of the kitchen. I turned down the appropriate hall and soon found myself in front of Dumbledore’s office.

“Sir” I asked sticking my head through the door and glancing around the office.

“Come in Ella.” Dumbledore said peering out of his window leaning his arm on a bookcase.

I stepped through the door and closed it behind me. Dumbledore was leaning against one of his bookcases staring deeply out into the dimming sky with dark storm clouds rolling in thunder already beginning its death drum.

“Strange thing, time.” He said pushing himself off the bookcase. “Seems only yesterday you were a student within this school’s walls.”

“I’m not sure I understand Professor. What does that have to do with anything?”

“I think its time Harry finds out about some of his past. For instance that he does have family besides the Muggles he’s been living with. That he does have a godmother.”

“But professor.. what if he asks why he wasn’t put with me after Lilly and James’ death?”

“Tell him the truth. He’ll find out sooner or later and ,if you both wish, I will help try and make accommodations for Harry to be moved to your care later on.”

“When should I tell him?”

“Ill let that be on your own terms Ella. Now about what I said last nig-“ he began

“Professor!” Argus Filch the caretaker burst through the door. “P-professor the f-fat lady sir. Sh-shes gone!” he breathed hard.

Dumbledore stood and asked me to come along as he stalked out of his office Mr. Filch following behind us. We climbed through the many moving steps before landing upon a staircase full of whispering children.

“Make way! Make way!” Dumbledore cried over the children as they parted and I followed hearing the continues whisper of ‘Who is she?’ ‘Do you know her?’ as I passed.

We finally reached the portrait to find the canvas savagely slashed in places and the fat lady in fact missing. I reached past Dumbledore and smoothed a piece of the oil stained canvas back only to have it fall again.

“Mr. Filch. Round up the ghost. Tell them to search every painting in the castle for the Fat Lady.” Dumbledore ordered.

“There’ll be no need for ghost professor.” Filch started staring up “The fat lady’s there” he pointed with a crooked finger to a portrait a few floors above shaking with the poor woman’s sobs.

All the children quickly dashed past one another to reach the floor. Dumbledore grabbed my hand to keep me from falling and to keep me with him as we maneuvered through the crowd towards the painting.

“Dear lady who did this to you?” Dumbledore asked sincerely.

The shaking woman peered over the wild boar she had been hiding behind and stared out toward all of us.

“Eyes like the devil he's got. And a soul as dark as his name. It was him, Headmaster. The one they talk about. He's here! Somewhere in the castle. Sirius Black!!” she shrieked.

A bright bolt of lightning shown through the window and reflected in my widened eyes as the children began to franticly talk amongst themselves.

“Secure the castle, Mr. Filch. The rest of you... to the Great Hall.” Dumbledore ordered.

I stood outside the clock tower and watched as every tumbler fell with a loud groan, every spindle rotated and every cylinder locked into place one after the other until the door was firmly locked. My arms were wrapped around me as I continued to stare up at the door. Hands were placed on my arms causing me to jump and reach for my wand.

“Hey!” Remus whispered locking his arms around me to discontinue my sudden jump “Its only me. Come on.” He took his jacket off and draped it around my shoulders before pulling me into his side with his arm around my shoulders. I fell into his side easily sleep desperately calling my name. We stopped by the Great Hall so Remus could speak with Dumbledore for a moment. I glanced over all the sleeping children in sleeping bags across the stone floor and silently sent up a small prayer of protection over them. Remus returned and we walked up the flights of stairs to his office.

“You’re staying with me tonight.” He said locking his office door.

“Bu-“

“Ahh” he said pointing his wand at me warningly “no buts.” He continued walking into his private chambers and beckoned me to follow him. It was simple with a full size bed with a red comforter on it, side tables, a dresser, wardrobe, and chest the foot of the bed. On the wall was a great stone fireplace with a small crackling fire. On the bed was a silver antique serving tray full of foods.

“Dumbledore told the house elves to serve all the teachers in their chambers. There’s enough there for the both of us. Well, go on. Eat. I’m going to clean up.” he said retreating toward the small bathroom in the corner. I dug through Remus’ drawers finding a shirt that would be suitable for me to sleep knowing he would have a fit if I left to retrieve my bag from my room. I pulled the covers back and slid into the bed turning on my side to stare at the fire. The creak of the bathroom door opening came from behind me and I quickly snapped my eyes shut in hopes of delaying any possible conversing of the kiss that happened prior in the day. I head Remus eat then slip into the bed moments after a sigh escaped his lips as I could sense him leaning over me.

‘Sweet dreams Ella…..’
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments=Chapters