Sequel: Back to Black

Falling Inside the Black

7

My heels clicked against the stone of the hallway my cloak flowing wildly behind me. I was just informed by Dumbledore that I would be taking over Remus’ last class before the Holiday break since Remus had fallen ill again. I pulled my father’s pocket watch, an old family heirloom, from my cloak pocket to see I had but only 2 minutes to make it to the class room. I quickened my pace before remembering a shortcut the Marauders and I used to take when late. I took a dead end corridor and stopped before a full length painting I muttered the password to the gazing witch. She nodded and allowed me access I quickly stepped down the dusty steps and ducked from cobwebs before entering out behind a statue next to the Defense Against the Dark Arts Class. Gazing at the watch once more I saw I had only seconds left.

Pushing open the door I quickly closed it again and whipped my wand out waving it as my name appeared on the black board in neat cursive silencing the room as I made my way to the head of the class.

“Alright class my name is Ella Scott but for today its Professor Scott and seeing as Professor Lupin is ill I’ll be teaching you all today.”

“Bet she’s taking right good care of him if you know what I mean” I heard mumbled from behind me as I turned to the desk to gather the parchment with the students names. But this student needed no introduction his platinum blonde hair and smug smirk gave him away easily.

“My. Malfoy.” I started turning to him “Is there something you would like to share with rest of us.” I asked motioning to the rest of the class.

“Nothing they don’t already know.” He replied cradling his injured arm.

“And what might that be?” I asked placing my hands on my hips.

“You know. Your little smitten relationship you seem to have with Lupin.”

“I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about”

“Of course you don’t.” he smirked “But seeing the poor Professor is sick why don’t you go and give him a good snog I’m sure that’ll make him feel lots better.” He laughed along with his friends.

“10 points from Slytherin.” I stated simply turning back to the head of the classroom.

“What?” Malfoy snapped.

“15 points.”

“You can’t do that!” said the chubby short boy beside him. He resembled his father just as much as
Draco did his.

“Oh I assure you Mr. Crabbe I can and I just did. Now silence yourself or I’ll put you and Mr. Malfoy in detention and if you have a problem with that then I’ll be happy to escort you to the headmaster’s office and see if he’ll having a talking to you and If I must I’ll have a talk with Professor Snape as well.” Both he and Malfoy crossed their arms with an angry look on their face.

“Now turn to page 350. As I understand when Professor Snape was subbing he jumped ahead to werewolves but we are going to go back to Red caps and hinkypunks. Now who can give me a description of Red caps?”

A girl with thick brown hair quickly shot up her hand she sat beside a red haired boy and Harry. Remus had told me about Harry’s friends. Hermione and Ron.

“Yes Miss Granger.” I said pointing towards her while leaning on the desk.

“The Red Cap is a small dwarf-like creature that lives in holes underground. they throw stink pellets, some have a shield and a sword, They are found on the sites of old battlefields, or wherever blood has been spilt.”

“You are correct.”

For the rest of the class Hermione was the only one who could answer any of the questions and for that I awarded Gryffendor 10 points. The rest of the class I assigned that they read over the chapters on Red Caps and Hinkypunks before returning from the Holiday for a possible quiz. When the class dismissed everyone gathered their things and began to leave Malfoy still grumbling under his breath.

“Harry” I called as he stood up “May I speak to you for a moment?”

He nodded and waved by to Ron and Hermione.

“Whose class do you have next?”

“Potions with Snape.”

“Ah. Well I see that as a class you would be happy to miss.”

He grinned slightly and nodded. “So what is it you wanted to tell me Professor?”

“Oh please call me Ella I’ll only be your professor for that one class.” He nodded and I felt my heart rate speed up and nerves began to ignite within my stomach.

“Well lets sit down” I started sitting in the window sill and he followed. I began playing with my hands out of nervous habit.

“Well I should start from the beginning. Your father and I were distant cousins an-“

“I know.” Harry stated simply.

“You know?”

“Remus told me.”

“Oh I see” I said feeling the tiniest weight lift from my shoulders. “What else did he tell you?”

“That you were close friends with my mother and how the two of you were exceptional witches but
not much other than that” he shrugged.

I chuckled slightly “Alright well as you know of my connection with you parents. When you were born
Harry I was asked to be your godmother.” I stopped to let this sink in watching as his eyes widened.

“Then why after their deaths wasn’t I sent to live with you?” he asked a look of confusion washing over his face that reminded me so much of James.

I sighed this was the question I was dreading. “Because of my husband.” I stated staring down at my hands as I began to twist my wedding ring around my right ring finger nervously.

“Your husband?”

“Yes Harry. My husband was Sirius Black.” I said softly looking up to see his eyes widen again “But believe me Harry I had no idea of what he had done! I didn’t know I was married to a murderer!” I said eyes tearing up.

“S-so Sirius Black.. he’s my godfather?” Harry asked more calmly than I expected.

“Yes Harry. After your parents death the ministry didn’t see it fit to place the well being of a baby in the hands of convicted killer’s wife. Even if they didn’t believe I had anything to do with the murders. I was still distraught that the life I shared with the man I loved had been a lie. And I was still depressed after the loss of my own son..” Tears slowly slid down my face at my last sentence.

“What happened to him Ella? If you don’t mind me asking..”

“Death eaters. They broke into our home just a month after you were born. Death Eaters killed him Harry. Made me watch. He was only two months old.” I whispered tears spilling down from my eyes. ”His name was Leo James Black.” I reached behind me and undid the clasp on my locket flipping to the last picture of me holding Leo with Sirius looking over my shoulder and showing it to Harry.

“I’m sorry Ella.” He whispered handing me back the locket.
I shook my head “Don’t be. I may have lost my husband, Leo, Lilly, James…” I trailed off tracing the outline of the locket “But I still have you Harry. And if you would allow me to I would like to become a part of your life.”

Harry looked at me for a long time and I feared he would say no but he finally broke out into a smile and nodded. “Yes of course!”

I released a breath I didn’t realize I was holding and stood pulling him into a hug. “Thank you Harry Thank you Thank you” I whispered into his hair before kissing his forehead.

“Ah” I gasped wiping the tears on my face “you should get going back to class but if you ever need to talk or simply just want to ask questions about James or Lilly don’t hesitate” I said handing him a slip of parchment with an excuse as to why he would be late to potions.

He nodded accepting the note “I will”

I nodded in response and watched as he began to walk out “And Ella…”

I met his gaze “Thank you. For everything.”

I smiled slightly “No thank you Harry.”

He left and I cleaned up the classroom and locked the door. I sat in the chair behind the desk not wanting to go back to Remus’ room just yet. I looked at the locket on my neck and unclasped It again turning to the picture I had shown Harry earlier. As the worst night of my life began to replay in my mind.

~*********~

“Bye Lilly” I hugged my dear friend tightly her red hair catching me in the side of the face.

“Bye love” she smiled in return her face still brightly shining.

I turned towards the boys who were napping peacefully in Harry’s play pen. I gently reached down and picked up my two month old son gently cradling him in my arms Lilly did the same with Harry to move him to his bassinet.

“Bye Harry. Ella and Sirius love you and so does Leo” I cooed in his ear softly kissing his head. I gave Lilly one more hug this time much more gently taking into consideration our two sons we were holding.

Lilly kissed Leo’s head and told him she loved him before I made my way to the door to leave.

“Don’t forget to put the protection charm around the house once I leave.” I reminded her.

“I won’t” she assured me.

I stepped out into the lawn and held Leo a little tighter to my chest before appariting back home. Once landing I glanced down to see Leo begin to get fussy in his sleep. I gently attempted to sooth him patting and rubbing his back gently as I walked inside the house taking my wand and muttering the numerous charms and enchantments that would protect us. I fed Leo and calmed him back down slowly rocking him back and forth as I began up the stairs to his nursery.

“Hush a bye
Don't you cry
Go to sleep my little baby
When you wake
You shall have All the pretty little ponies
In your bed
Momma said
Baby's riding off to dreamland
One by one
They've begun
Dance and prance for little baby
Blacks and bays, dapples and greys
Running in the night
When you wake
You shall have
All the pretty little ponies
Can you see the little ponies
Dance before your eyes
All the pretty little ponies
Will be there when you arise
Can you see the little ponies
Shining before your eyes
All the pretty little ponies
Gonna be there when you arise
Hush a bye
Don't you cry
Go to sleep my little baby
When you wake
You shall have
All the pretty little ponies
All the pretty little ponies
All the pretty little ponies” I sang softly to him lulling him back to sleep. I gently kissed him on the head.

“Momma loves you Leo. Momma loves you so much.” I whispered placing him in his crib and placing his favorite blanket over him. I turned on the baby monitor and descended down stairs I tuned on the baby monitor on the side table and settled into the oversized chair in the living room propping my feet up. I was one tired soul. Tending to Leo had taken a lot out of me. Sirius was currently tending to some business for the Order with James and Remus of course they had been for almost a month now. Leaving early in the morning and coming home late at night leaving me to tend to our son on my own. Though I shouldn’t complain he was trying his hardest to find ways to end this war so Leo wouldn’t have to grow up in it.

I slowly fell to sleep in the chair my hands resting on my abdomen.

Mumbling brought me back to my senses as I opened my eyes I gasped and jumped back further into the plush seat. Three figures dressed in black with silver masks covering their faces stood before me two holding their wands at me ready to attack. I looked to the table to grab mine but it was nowhere in sight then I remembered I had left it in Leo’s diaper bag upstairs.

“Ah” one stepped up bringing their wand to their face and whipping the wand around to where the mask vanished. “Sleeping beauty finally awake is she?”

“Bellatrix” I spat glaring at her.

“Now is that the way to treat family?” she asked coyly. “Speaking of where is my cousin anyway?” she asked picking up a picture of Sirius and I at our wedding. “Now I wasn’t invited to this.” She said pointing her wand to the picture. “That’s not very polite.” She tapped the frame and it caught fire burning the frame and the picture it held.

I silently prayed no one had paid any attention to the baby monitor and hoped Leo didn’t wake up. Sirius and I had tried our best to keep Leo’s birth on the down low to prevent him from becoming a target. Hopefully they didn’t know about him.

“What do you want?” I asked

“Oh you know just to have a little family get together.” She smiled falling back on to the sofa. “Its been so long since we talked”

“There’s a reason for that” I growled.

“Ah yes well I also wanted to come see the new baby” she grinned evilly at me watching as my face paled. “Oh how I just love playing with babies!" She screeched clasping her hands together with fake glee "Leo isn’t it?”

“No Bellatrix. No!” I said raising my voice toward the end pulling myself up ready to jump her when one of the others pushed their wand to my chest in warning.

“Now now Mommy we’ll let you come play too!” she cooed softly. “Now lets go see if baby is awake.” one of the two with their wands drawn at me mumbled “Imperio” I was suddenly standing up right and was walking behind Bellatrix up the stairs. I fought. With everything I had I fought. But it was useless. Tears swam down my face of the unknown that was going to happen to my defenseless son.
"Patty cake patty cake bakers man" Bellatrix sang sadisticly with each step.
Soon we were in Leo’s nursery and I was basically sobbing.
"mark it with a B for the baby and me"

“Now mommy that’s not very nice.” Bellatrix tisked “You’re going to make Leo very upset” she pointed her wand at me when suddenly my body was filled with the most unimaginable pain. I cried out curling into a ball on the floor. I felt that I was skinned alive then ripped apart from the inside out. She lifted the curse leaving me whimpering on the floor tears streaming out of my eyes. Leo began to stir from my outburst begginging to whimper before crying.

“Aww” Bellatrix gushed leaning over the side of the crib.

“DON’T YOU TOUCH MY SON!” I yelled and again I felt the pain fill my body again causing me to wither around in pain to the point I broke down into sobs as Bellatrix picked up Leo.

“P-Please Bellatrix” I sobbed from the floor “P-please don’t hurt him! Hurt me if you have to! Please just don’t hurt him”

“You hear that baby” Bellatrix cooed bouncing Leo on her hip “Mommy said don’t hurt you. But you know what? Auntie Bellatrix doesn’t like mommy so she’s going to do it anyway” she said it so sweetly I cringed with disgust.

“NOO! Bellatrix please! I’ll do anything! Anything at all!! Please I beg of you!” I cried. She just laughed at me and set Leo down on the floor in front of me. Leo turned his head and looked at me with his big blue eyes playing with his fingers in his mouth.

“Momma loves you Leo. Daddy loves you too.” I whispered. “Please Bellatrix! I swear I’ll do anything please just don’t hurt him” I begged.

“Crucio”

My sons pain filled cries filled my head as I sobbed and begged for her to stop to kill me hurt me do what ever she wanted just leave Leo alone. She wouldn’t stop. Leo shook his head in pain tears pouring out of his beautiful blue eyes his tiny chest heaving in and out gaining air only to produce another loud scream . She continued to torture Leo until the room fell silent. All that was heard were my desperate cries and Bellatrix's giddy giggle.

“Leo” I whimpered attempting to reach for my baby and was surprised to find the curse had been lifted I crawled to my son already knowing that he was gone before I reached him I sobbed into my hands begging them to kill me now. Bellatrix only smiled at my pain. I begged for her to put an end to this misery and kill me. Let me be with my son, my baby.

She pointed her wand at me. “Crucio”

I fell beside my sons body rolling in pain screaming to the ends of the earth for someone just to hear me. I clenched my eyes shut thrashing my head around like a beast. Again the torture continued for a long period of time before black over took me.

Sirius walked into his house releasing a sigh. After a long hard day we was finally home. He removed his jacket and scarf placing it in the closet. That’s when he noticed something was off. The house was silent. Too silent. Usually he would hear Ella singing in the kitchen while preparing dinner or Leo screaming for attention. Withdrawing his wand he walked through the first floor of the house.

“Ella” he called cautiously .

He jogged up the stairs and checked their room to find it clean and neat he turned back to go to Leo’s nursery where the door was closed. They never closed Leo’s door. He reached for the handle and turned it slowly. When suddenly he felt his entire world fall apart.

“Ella!” he cried falling to his wife’s side. He took her in his arms tears slipping past his eyes as he looked at his small son beside his wife. He could tell by the small bodies lack of movement his little boy was gone. He began to cry.
I slowly opened my eyes to see I was in Sirius’ arms my head in his chest. For a slight moment I had hoped it was all a dream then I realized Sirius’ chest heaving with sobs. It was no dream.

“Leo!” I cried attempting to jump from Sirius’ arms to reach my son. Sirius’ arms only tightened.

“No! No Ella he’s gone!” he tried reasoning with me keeping me from moving toward our sons body . I shook my head “no” I cried beating his chest “No no no” I cried burying my face in his chest.

“I couldn’t save him….”

~**********~
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit
FIY her voice would be like Catherine Raney and the name of the song if All the Pretty Little Ponies
Ok I got a little teary eyed at the torture scene but tell me what you think!
Comments=Chapters.