Status: I love the idea of time travel... I also love the idea of the fab four. This story; the best of both!

No One Can Suceed Like Dr. Robert

Stand By Me

I awoke face down on a gritty surface, chilled by the night air that brought goose-bumps to my skin. A muffled groan escaped my mouth as I sat up rubbing my head, which had briefly come in contact with the pavement while traveling through space itself. I wondered if this invention of Doctor Robert and Flo had really worked-if I had been flung back through time.

As I looked up and saw the words THE JACARANDA scrawled in blue on a building, I knew that the time traveling had been successful. The booming of muffled music and loud noises coming from inside the building only helped to confirm this. I stood up and looked in every direction, but there was no sign of Flo. I felt so hopeless at that moment; so out of place. I was in a strange time in strange clothes and with strange ideals that hadn’t been thought up yet. How was I ever going to survive here?

I quickly decided that I was far too cold to stand out in the January air, so despite my best instincts, and the feeling in my stomach, I grabbed up the necklace and then journeyed inside The Jacaranda. Inside was a band playing a song I recognized-Buddy Holly’s That’ll Be The Day-teenagers dancing, a bar, and several tables. The thick air was much warmer than that which waited outside. I watched as one boy drank a dark liquid-most likely coke and scotch; apparently it was the favorite drink of my grandfather back in the day. I was honestly very thirsty, probably dehydrated from my trip. If car rides are hard on bodies, then time travel is twenty times worse.

I started to walk over to the bar where the boy stood sipping his beverage watching as the band broke out into Whole Lotta Shakin by Jerry Lee Lewis, when I reached into my pockets and remembered that I had no money with me. By this time I was already up at the bar, so I just leaned against it and lay my pounding head on the cool surface.

“You want something, little girl?” The bar keep flirted from behind the counter with me, causing my head to shoot up. I began to fidget with the necklace in my palm and decided it would be best to put it away, safely in my pocket.

“I don’t um, I don’t have any money with..me.” I felt my cheeks grow hot as I admitted my predicament. I watched in horror as his face turned into an awful grin. I could only imagine the thoughts he was thinking-and I didn’t want to. I looked over at the boy who still seemed to be tuned into the band.

"Well I’ll tell you what, Pigeon. Why don’t you do me some, er, under the table favors, eh? A fresh young face like you, I wouldn’t mind that.”

“What kind of girl do you think I am? I’d rather drink someone’s piss!”

“Feisty and an American, eh? Come on, let’s go on back now and get you out of those-“

“Eh, Lonnie, piss off. Stop talking to my cousin like that, yeah?” I looked up gratefully at the boy who was now facing the bar keep and was taking a protective stance over me.

“Eh, Johnny, I didn’t know it was yer cousin! Christ, just get’er outta here. If she’s gonna dress like that an all.” I couldn’t believe it. I was in the presence of John-effing-Lennon. John Lennon!

“Come’ed, Julia.” He took hold of my wrist and pulled me through the crowd and out the entry way to the warm club. Once out in the streets he let go of my wrist and walked on; I noticed that he was wearing dark blue jeans, rolled at the cuff, dark shoes, an orange button up shirt and a leather jacket. His hair was greased into the signature teenage John Lennon style that I’d seen so many times in pictures. I stood awkwardly observing him, clutching my arm and biting my lip, as John walked on ahead of me, then turned around saying, “Cor! You comin?” I noticed the annoyed look on his face and realized he must not have wanted to leave the club so early-how ever early, or late, it was.

Nevertheless I ran to his side, figuring I was safer in the presence of a tall boy than to be alone on these unfamiliar streets. “Why did you call me Julia? Or save me, for that matter.”

“Julia is me mum and me sister’s name.” John walked on, obviously annoyed with me and not wanting to make conversation.

“I just wanted to thank you. You didn’t have to stick up for me, you know.” I nearly had to jog to keep up with his long strides.

“He was right, you know. I mean, blimey, don’t advertise if ye’rnt sellin!” I walked in silence with my head down after that remark, which stung; not only due to the fact that my hero and favorite Beatle had basically called me whorish, but that I was completely lost and didn’t know where my Aunt was. I didn’t know where I was. I began sniffling and tearing up as I realized that I was not home and would not be ever-I had no idea how to work the time machine that rested around my neck.

“Hey-are you gonna follow me home or go your own merry way? I mean, if ye want ye can go back an play around with Lonnie or somethin.” John snapped at me again, breaking my thin reserve of calm. I stopped walking, and stood on the road; crying and thinking of how hopeless things looked. “Aw, hell! Don’t cry; c’mon, I was only avin a laugh-I didn’t mean that.” John walked back to me and awkwardly put an arm around my shoulder. I’d heard that he was terrible with crying girls, but I’d ever imagined he was this bad.

“I’m sorry, it’s just that I don’t know where my Aunt is, I don’t have anywhere to go and no money with me.” He paced awkwardly for a moment before grabbing my hand and dragging me along once again.

“Me Aunt Mimi won’t like this…” John grumbled to himself. And John was right. His Aunt Mimi, though she did allow me to stay for the night, was not happy that I was in her home. I sat on the stairs waiting while Mimi barked at John, asking if he had gotten me pregnant; if that was the reason I was here.

“No, Mimi! Fook, can I not be a nice bloke for once and offer up me home to a lost bird?” Mimi looked taken back by his words, opened her mouth to speak, and then promptly closed it. I used this time to think about the more complicated problems on hand; how would I get home, if ever? What happened to Flo? Her ashes-that had to be what was on the street next to me. I had to have killed her by pushing her into the silvery light. I choked back a sob, making a terrible strangled sound; the sound of guilt.

Mimi and John looked directly at the stair I was sitting on and then back at each other.

“Alright then, John; she can stay.” I stayed for one long, miserable and confusing week
before Mimi finally cornered me in the kitchen and interrogated me.

“I’m sorry, Mimi. I don’t know where my Aunt is. If I told you the truth, you would think I’ve gone mad! I’m just lost...” She eyed me, judging my character and the amount of truth in my words, no doubt.

“Alright; then it’s settled. I’ll take you in Sophie. You’ll have to start school of course; how old are you exactly?” I watched in shock as Mimi began doing dishes as if this were a normal day and she hadn’t been about to completely kick me out on my own. I joined her in doing this.

“I’m fourteen; and I can make my own clothes, so you won’t have to worry about that, I promise. Oh, and Mimi? Thank you.” I would come to learn that Mimi was a woman of little affections; that simple thank you would do for her just fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would have loved for this to actually happen to me. But daydreaming this up is the closest I can get, so I'll take it.

Please comment and tell me what I can do better!