Open Ocean

Chapter 4

I was enjoying some sleep when I slammed into the wooden wall next to me. I groaned and sat up. I went to stretch and kicked something.
"Ow" Jack said groggily. I looked in the direction of the voice, which didn't make a difference it was still pitch black in here.
"Why are you up?" I asked him sliding down the wall so I could lay down again.
"No reason" he said. That was the end of our conversation for the time being.

I felt myself drifting back into sleep again. I was about there when I heard the door slam open and light poured into the room. I bolted upright when I heard heavy steps making their way down the stairs. I jumped up and fell over into the wall, I still hadn't quite gotten my sea legs yet. A grimy a tattered crew man appeared. He pointed at Jack and motioned up the stairs. Then his gaze landed on me, he smiled far to big for my liking. Jack started to leave and the crew man started to come towards me. I grabbed Jacks arm out of fear. He turned to me and ripped his arm from my grasp.
"What you don't like Smudge?" Jack chuckled walking up the stairs. Smudge, as he was called, was an inch from my face by the time I decided to do something.
"Jack!" I yelled pushing past Smudge and bolting for the stairs. Jack was waiting for me up a couple of steps. The two men laughed and we all walked out onto the deck. The sun was really bright, the sky was so blue, the sky was so much more beautiful out on the ocean. I looked over to Jack and he was gone. I looked around and saw him walking up to the Captain on the higher deck. I walked mindlessly in that direction. I started up the stairs when someone grabbed me, it was Smudge.
"You shouldn't do that" he warned. I peeled his arm off me and looked up to Jack. I looked at the wrong time. The Captain raised his hand and smacked Jack hard across the face, he hit the deck. I ran up the stairs to Jack. For some reason I felt I knew him, and that I needed to make sure he was ok. I knelt by Jack and put my hand on his shoulder.
"What the hell are you doing?" Jack barked pushing me away and getting up. His face was bleeding. I stood up and glared at him.
"I was... I was trying to help" I stammered. The Captain laughed loudly at me.
"Miss Jack do you need some help? I think maybe it would be an idea for ye to go lay down in yer cot and rest" he laughed throwing his head back. My face grew hot as Jack shot me a look.
"No that's not what I meant" I said looking anywhere but at Jack or the Captain.
"Oh and what did you mean?" the Captain asked smiling. I just opened and closed my mouth trying to figure out what to say. I couldn't think of anything. Jack was glaring at me, it was unnerving.
"I ... I ... I" my mind just stopped working. I ran off the deck and back to my cell room. I threw open the door and practically fell down the stairs. The tears stung my eyes as I tried to fight them back. I slipped off the bottom step and fell down hard onto my backside. I just let go at that point. I cried as silently as possible. The rocking of the ship was comforting in a way. I could hear the waves over my quiet sobs. I cried myself to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment:subscribe