Open Ocean

Chapter 5

I woke up in the dark. I felt my way around and realized I was still on the stairs. I crawled up them and fumbled around for the door knob. I found it and turned it hoping it wasn't locked. The door opened onto the dark night. I walked out onto the deck and closed the door behind me.
"Ah the lady finally makes an appearance" someone behind me said. I looked up onto the top deck to see a small fire light. The crew and Captain were huddled around the small flame.
"It's ok miss. You are allowed to come up onto the deck now" the Captain said. I walked up the stairs slowly and over to the crew. They were all sitting around on various seats. The only open seat was right next to Jack. I swallowed hard as I started to walk over. Jack put his feet up on the seat and stared off over the water. I stopped walking a sighed.
"So Miss... you gotta a name?" the Captain asked leaning against the rail of the ship. I turned to him and smiled.
"Annabella" I said softly looking down at my feet. The Captain chuckled.
"I'm Captain Sheridan. Ever heard of me?" he asked a twinkle in his eye. I nodded and looked up at him.
"Yes actually, I've been on this boat before. When I was little one of your crew kidnapped me. I was lucky enough to get away before" I said. The sound of shattering glass and a seat falling over onto the deck made my snap my head towards Jack. He was standing, breathing heavy.
"What say Jack? You need something" Sheridan asked. Jack looked from me to the Captain then back to me. He pointed at me.
"You... You're the little blonde girl. The one that I ..." he looked down at his feet then stumbled back finding his balance on another crew man. I felt time stop. The boat didn't move, the wind didn't blow, the waves made no noise. I noticed the scar running the length of his face. I must not have noticed it before in all of the chaos. He was the boy who had saved my life all those years ago. He was the boy that disappeared without a trace. He was the boy who saved me the other night, just like last time.
"You two know each other" Smudge asked? Jack ran past me down the stairs and out of sight. I took off after him, the crew watching.

"Jack" I said catching up to him. He spun around and grabbed my face. My breath caught in my chest as he gripped me hard. He starred into my eyes, he looked so angry. He let go and pushed me away.
"Jack?" I asked walking behind him as he walked to the rail. I stood behind him and stared at the back of him. I couldn't grasp the situation. It wasn't how this was supposed to happen. This wasn't supposed to be someone I hated. I always had childish day dreams of finding the person who had saved me and falling in love. My mother would tease me about it. Oh how upset she would be to find out who the mysterious boy was. I walked over to the rail and leaned over it. The ocean was quite calm. I looked over at Jack, I was on the side of the scar. I stared at the thin white mark running jagged down his face. He looked at me, his gaze had softened a bit.
"I should have let you drown" he said. With that he walked back up onto the high deck and past the crew out of my sight. I sighed and looked back at the water.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment:subscribe