Status: new story...tell me what you think!

After All This Time

9.

“Oh no, it’s happening again, isn’t it?”

James looked over at Remus, who was shaking and sweating. His eyes were rolling to the back of his head as his teeth chattered.

“I’ll get Madam Pomfrey.” Sirius said lazily.

“Wormy, check the cycle.” James said.

Peter went to the moon chart and flipped it over. “It starts in two day’s time.” He reported back, flopping onto his bed.

“Should’ve told us sooner, Moony.” James said.

Remus shivered. “You know you three can get hurt around me.” He chattered.

James grinned. “You wouldn’t.” he said. “I’d hit you with my antlers.”

The boys shared a laugh.

“Reckon Dumbledore notices we disappear around the same time?” Peter asked.

James shrugged. “Filch isn’t smart enough to see us, nor does he have a map like ours.” He said, waving their enchanted parchment. “Plus, McGonagall has never thought to search our room at night.”

Peter shivered. “It’s nearly Christmas time…wish we could take coats with us.”

James gave him a look. “I know, Wormy. But Moony needs us more than ever.”

*~*~*~*

The girls were sitting in the common room giggling with Sirius walked in with Madam Pomfrey.

“Hello, ladies.” He said, winking to Mary, who winked back. Sirius led Madam Pomfrey up the stairs to the boys’ room.

“Who’s sick?” Alice asked, wrinkling her nose.

Suddenly, Remus came down the steps flanked by the boys. He was shaking and pale white. Marlene immediately jumped to her feet.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, panicked.

“Nothing to worry about dearie, just a spot of a flu.” Madam Pomfrey said. “He’ll be recovered in a bit.”

“Can I come with you to the hospital wing at least?” she said weakly.

“No!” all the boys yelped.

“I’m fine, Mar. I’ll be back before you know it.” Remus gasped out, as they led him out.

*~*~*~*

Marlene was sitting at the breakfast table, near to tears. Lily and Mary sat next to her, trying to comfort her.

“It’s been three days! I’ve gone up to the hospital wing several times and they haven’t let me see him.” She said, sobbing. “I know he gets sick all the time, but I’m so worried.”

The boys walked into the hall without Remus. Lily quickly got up and trotted over to them.

“Where is he?” she asked.

Sirius was stiff. “Can’t say, why?”

“Marlene is about to break down if she doesn’t see him.” Lily hissed. “Do something.”

The boys walked over to the table and took a seat. Sirius put his arm around Mary while she rubbed Marlene’s arms.

“Calm down, MacDonald; he’ll be back before you know it.” Sirius said lazily.

“How can you say that?!” she asked angrily, swatting at him.

“He’s gone home for the week, Marlene. He’s really sick this time.” Peter skittered.

“Why does he get sick every month?” Lily asked curiously.

“It’s an illness…he’s had it since a kid. He manages. Remus is fine, he’ll be back in tip top shape before you know it.” James said quickly, shoving Peter as if Peter had said too much.

As the students filed out to go to classes, Lily caught up with James. “Potter, I have a question.”

James grinned down at her. “Finally asking me out? Took you long enough.”

Lily’s face burned. “No, I am not asking you out…I’m just wondering what Remus has.”

James’s face cooled. “It’s none of your business.” He said, stomping away.

As Lily stood there, frozen by James’s attitude, Severus walked up next to her.

“What was that all about?” he asked.
Lily furrowed her eyebrows. “Remus is sick and James won’t tell me why.”

“He’s a werewolf.” Severus said. “I swear. Why does he disappear every month?”

“He’s sick, they say he’s ill.” She said, shaking her head. “It’s impossible. We better go to class, Sev. We’re going to be late.”

Severus sighed. “I swear, Lily.”

Lily rolled her eyes. “Drop it, Sev. If he really were a werewolf, which I’m doubting, they wouldn’t have let him into Hogwarts. Don’t be silly.” She said, throwing her hair over her shoulder.

Severus sighed as the two walked to class. He knew Remus Lupin was a werewolf. The only thing left he had to do was prove it.
♠ ♠ ♠
And thus begins the story of how James Potter saved Severus Snape...
*high fives for following canon*