Status: new story...tell me what you think!

After All This Time

13.

Lily was sitting in the library studying. She had a charms quiz coming soon, and she didn’t want to fail. She’d been so preoccupied by taking care of Mary (who was out of the hospital but not healed; Madam Pomfrey was talking to her parents about transferring her to St. Mungos. The burns were caused by dark magic and it seemed they’d have to re-grow all of her skin.) and prefect duty.

Mary was so miserable. Her skin wasn’t healing and she refused to go to classes, even after Madam Pomfrey said it was okay. Since it was winter, Mary could wear long sleeves and gloves to mask her arms, but the lacerations on her neck and face embarrassed her. She wore scarves to class; after Dahlia Parkinson and Amara Zabini made fun of her, she started private tutoring. One of the teaching aids around Hogwarts would come to the common room and teach her during the day; Lily, Alice, and Marlene would help her at nights.

No one made fun of her, which Mary refused to believe. They all knew it was the work of dark magic. All of Gryffindor was backing up Mary; soon enough, the levelheaded Ravenclaws and trusty Hufflepuffs were on Gryffindor’s side.

She heard a knock on the desk and looked up. Sev stood in front of her, a crooked grin on
his face. “Hey Lil.”

Lily smiled, trying to ignore the fact that Sev’s friends completely destroyed Mary’s body. “Hey Sev…I haven’t seen you in a while.” She pouted. Lily patted the seat next to her, and he obliged.

“So, how are you?” He asked.

Lily shrugged. “Busy, really. I haven’t had time to relax. I’m either on prefect duty, studying, dealing with those stupid Marauders, or helping Mary.”

Sev shifted. “How is Mary, anyway?”

Lily gave him a look. “They’re talking about sending her to St. Mungo’s for two weeks; they’ll have to re-grow her skin back. It won’t heal on its own, so they have to take it off and grow it back. She’ll be in pain.” She spat.

Sev shifted again uncomfortably. “I’m sorry for her.” He said sheepishly.

Lily shook it off. “So, the holidays are coming next week…are you going home this year?” she asked.

Sev shook his head. “I’m staying here…things aren’t so peachy at home. Dad left again for a couple days.” He said shakily. “How about you?”

Lily nodded. “I was supposed to spend some time at Mary’s, but seeing as she’s going to St. Mungo’s, I’m going back to Cokeworth. Mum and Dad are delighted; I can’t say the same for Tuney.”

Sev rolled his eyes. “Petunia is just jealous of you, you know that. You’re perfect and she’s nothing.”

Lily blushed. “You tell me every time, Sev.” She blurted.

Sev grinned. “You deserve to be told.” He reminded her. “Don’t forget how amazing you are, ever.”

Lily looked up at him with her big blue eyes. “Now you’re just being a sap, Sev.” She teased. “Don’t get me started.”

Sev laughed. “Come on, let’s go to dinner. You’ve been studying far too long.” He said
truthfully.

Lily nodded. “Alright.” She said, taking her books and shoving them into her bag. When she stood up, she put an arm around Sev and the two walked out of the library ever.

“Have I ever told you how lucky I am that you’re my best mate?” Sev asked.

Lily rolled her eyes. “Shut up, Sev.” She giggled.

*~*~*~*

James had been standing across from Lily’s desk, several yards away. He hid himself behind books, contemplating how to approach her. Just when he came up with a totally witty and romantic way to ask her out using books, Severus Snape came out of the blue and snatched her up.

James walked back to the common room dejectedly. Really, what did he have James didn’t?

James was more athletic, better looking. Sure, Severus was smarter, but James wasn’t that bad. He got good enough grades. Plus, he was on the Quidditch team. That made him better, right?

James trudged back up to the common room. He wasn’t in the mood to eat; he had a funny feeling in his stomach. As he lay across his bed, he sighed. “Why do I feel like this?” he asked out loud.

“Oh, I don’t know.”

James turned around quickly to see the ghost of Nearly Headless Nick. “Oh, hey Nick.” He said, turning red.

Nick smiled at him. “You’re talking about Miss Evans, aren’t you?”

James blushed even more. “How do you know?” he asked fiercely.

Nick shrugged. “Merely by the way you look at her, son. You look at her like she’s the most perfect thing in the world.”

James sighed. “She is, though. She’d never go for me.” He said miserably. It was one of the first times James had ever shown vulnerability. He hated seeming weak; all the time, he was the strong guy out of his friends. When Sirius was being stupid, he put him in line. When Remus needed someone, he was there. When Peter needed help, he helped him. For once, he wanted them all to be there for him as well.

“Don’t say that, Mr. Potter. Perhaps you should just change your ways.” Nick offered.

“But why do I always feel so weird around her?” James asked.

Nick laughed. “My dear boy, haven’t you heard of love?”