Status: new story...tell me what you think!

After All This Time

4.

The first day of classes was always the most hectic. Along with her overwhelming classes, Lily Evans had prefect duty. It was her job to make sure the first years got where they needed to be, along with the other Gryffindor prefects.

Lily went down to breakfast; all the other girls had left before her. She found her friends sitting in the middle of the Gryffindor table with the Marauders, of course. Mary and Sirius were flirting again. James and Marlene were discussing Quidditch, while Alice had wandered off in the company of Frank Longbottom and his sixth year friends.

“Good morning, everyone.” She said, chipper. She helped herself to pancakes and sausages.

“You seem in a good mood, considering the events of last night, Evans.” Potter sniggered.

Lily shot him a look. “And what is that supposed to mean?”

Potter leaned back and shrugged. “I mean, you did have to take a walk with Snivellus.”

The boys erupted into laughter; Remus shot Lily an apologetic look.

“You should know, Potter, that I enjoy Severus’s company far more than yours.” She said sharply.

“Aw, wee little Snivellus has a girlfriend.” Sirius teased. “How cute…it’s the love story of the century, Gryffindor falls for Slytherin. I may vomit.”

Lily shot him a dark look. “Shove off, Black.”

Sirius laughed. “You’re so intimidating, Evans.”

Lily got up and departed for her classes. Across the great hall, Severus jumped up from his seat and ran to join her in the corridor.

“What was Black bothering you about?” he asked darkly.

Lily rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. “He kept making fun of me because I’m friends with you.” She said. “He doesn’t understand anything. I don’t get how Mary can like him.”

Sev snorted. “I don’t get how you can even like Mary.”

Lily shot him a dark look, to which he replied with a shrug. “All I mean Lil, is that you’re brilliant. I’d figure you’d surround yourself with…more brilliant people.”

Lily sniffed the air. “Mary is brilliant. So is Marlene. Hell, I reckon she’s a stronger witch than Alice, and Alice already has all the pre requisites to become an auror.”

Severus rolled his eyes. “Auror…what a shoddy job.”

Lily gave Sev an odd look. “What do you mean, Sev?”

Severus shrugged yet again. “I mean, they just don’t do their job, do they? There’s a ton of dark wizards roaming around under their noses. The ministry is filled with bats.”

Lily was frightened for a second. “What are you talking about, Sev?”

Severus paused. “Nothing, Lil. Nothing at all. Anyway, why would you want to become an
auror?”

Lily shrugged. “I don’t know; I’m just weighing my options. I wasn’t thinking too much about becoming an auror; perhaps a healer. I’m good with spells and potions.”

Sev nudged her. “Something both of us have skill with.”

Lily snorted. “Yeah, old Sluggie loves us.”

Severus laughed. “Slughorn is brilliant, but he’s blinded by power and fame.”

Lily laughed. “I’m not famous, and I’m in the Slug Club.”

Severus nudged her as well. “It’s because you’re beautiful. Slug likes power, fame, and beauty.”

Lily blushed. “Stop it, Sev. I have to be going to class anyway. I wanted to get there early.”

“Why is that?” Sev asked.

Lily blushed even deeper. “I wanted to ask if Remus Lupin would go with me to Hogsmeade.”

Severus stopped in his tracks. “Remus? Remus who?”

Lily stopped as well. “You heard me, Remus Lupin, silly.”

Sev started to turn red. “You? You fancy Remus Lupin?”

Lily shrugged. “I never really thought of it, but he’s brilliant.”

“You know how I feel about his little posse, Lily! You know I don’t like them.” Sev snarled.

“Oh, shove it, Remus hasn’t done a thing to you.” Lily defended.

“Exactly! When has Lupin done a thing to stop his stupid little arse friends from hexing me!”

Suddenly, James Potter appeared out of nowhere. “Cheerio, everyone.”

Lily jumped. “Bloody hell, Potter, how do you do that?”

James winked. “I’m brilliant.”

Severus glared at him coolly. “I’ll see you at lunch, Lil.” With that, he swished his robes and took off.

Lily gave James a face. “What do you want, Potter?”

James shrugged. “I heard that you were going to find a certain mister Remus Lupin. I merely wondered why.”

Lily gave him a cool look. “If you wanted to know, I was just about to ask Remus if he wanted to come with me on the weekend trip to Hogsmeade.”

James froze. “On a?”

Lily nodded. “Yes James, on a date.”

James turned the same red Sev had been. “You can’t!”

Lily put her hands on her hips. “And why is that, Potter?”

He started stuttering. “Well, uh, well because, um…”

“Spit it out, Potter!” Lily sniggered.

James looked up and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, a smile of defeat on his face. “You wouldn’t…because Marlene fancies him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
oooooh do i sense a bit of tension coming up?
anyway, comment! I want to know what you guys think should happen, and what you guys think about the story so far(: