Status: new story...tell me what you think!

After All This Time

5.

“That’s not true.” Lily said uneasily.

“Oh yeah?” James teased.

“She would have told me!” Lily snorted.

James shook his head. “You’re forgetting that the McKinnons have lived next to me for years, Evans. I’ve known Marlene since we were babies. She’s like a younger sister to me. So it’s only natural that I know she has a thing for one of my best friends, who visits every summer for two weeks since first year.”

“That’s absurd. She’s my best friend, she’d have told me.” Lily argued.

James sniggered. “Let’s not forget the row you two had before the summer holidays…she wouldn’t have told you either way.”

“You’re lying!” Lily spat. She turned and walked away.

“Pretend that I’m lying, Evans, but you’ll see! You’ll put the pieces together!” he yelled.

*~*~*~*

At lunch, Lily ignored Sev, who was waiting for her. She’d explain what was up later. Instead, she marched straight to Remus. She hadn’t gotten the chance to talk to him in class; she was still nervous because of what Potter told her.

She found Potter, Black, Remus, and Pettigrew sitting together.

“Oi, Evans, what’s with you?” Black asked. James had a look of pure resentment and anger.

“I just wanted to ask Remus a question.” She said.

Lupin smiled. “Yes, Lily?”

Lily smiled. “Would you like to come with me to Hogsmeade this weekend?” she asked,
loud enough that people could hear. She knew Remus wouldn’t say no.

“On a date?” he sputtered.

Lily smiled. “Yes, on a date.”

She heard a glass break. Turning her head, she saw Sev, who marched out of the Great Hall. There was a clank, and she turned back to see the Marauders.

Remus was red in the face. Pettigrew eyes darted from Lily to Remus, waiting for an answer. Black’s mouth hung open, as if he couldn’t believe Lily could do that. Potter’s face was red as well, and he had dropped his silverware.

“Um, alright.” Remus muttered.

To put the icing on the cake, Lily kissed Remus’s cheek. “I’ll meet you in the courtyard at eleven on Saturday.” She said, beaming.

*~*~*~*

“I can’t believe him!” James raged.

“Oh, I can’t either.” Peter welped.

Sirius laughed. “You can’t deny it, James, but Lily has balls. Did you hear how loud she asked him? She knew he wouldn’t be able to say no.” He guffawed.

“So you’re saying you approve of him saying yes?” James asked.

“Hell no,” Sirius said. “He’s known you’ve fancied her since first year. I don’t know how he could deal with himself, saying yes.”

“Nonetheless, I don’t know how Lily could deal with Marlene right now.” Peter welped again.

“Has she found out yet?” Sirius asked.

Peter shook his head. "People have been gossiping like mad. I heard she's going to ask Mary and Alice what's up right now.”

Sirius laughed. “Oh, this will be funny. Where’s Moony, anyway?”

“Yeah, where is that backstabbing traitor?” James snarled.

“Cool down, James, he didn’t have a choice.” Sirius said. “You know he couldn’t say no.”

Suddenly the door opened. Remus walked in, looking rather dejected.

“You!” James roared.

Remus flinched. “I’m sorry!”

“How could you?” he bellowed. Sirius lazily cast a silencing spell over the door so no one could hear their argument.

“I couldn’t help it! She just asked me in front of everyone, she knew I wouldn’t be able to say no.” Remus said.

“Told you, James.” Sirius pointed out. “Of course, no one listens to Sirius…”

“James, you know how I feel about Lily. She’s just a friend; not even! The only time we ever really talk much is during prefect duty. I don’t understand why she likes me all of a sudden.” Remus said.

James calmed down. “Promise you won’t touch her?” he asked.

“I swear on my life.” Remus said. “I’d never do anything to hurt you James. You know I wouldn’t.”

James sighed and hugged his friend. “I’m sorry for acting like a huge prat.”

Remus laughed. “It’s okay. I forgive you.”

While all things had settled in the fifth year boys’ room, not all was well in the girls’ dormitory.
Marlene had been walking the hallways amidst the gossip. People were saying things, things she couldn’t hear. When she got into her room, she saw Mary and Alice, who were startled.

“Hey, you lot. What’s with everyone?” Marlene asked. “They’re staring at me like I’m a bloody hippogriff walking around.”

Mary gulped. “You’re not going to like this, Mar.”

“What is it?” Marlene demanded. “Spit it out then.”

“Lily’s asked Remus on a date.” Alice chirped.

Marlene’s face whitened. “She wouldn’t.” she muttered.

Alice shrugged. “She did.”

Angered, Marlene left the room, slamming the door.

“This won’t end well.” Mary groaned.