Status: new story...tell me what you think!

After All This Time

6.

Lily was sitting in the library, studying. Everyone kept staring at her, and it was getting awfully annoying. All she wanted was to finish her charms essay and get back to tower so she could take a kip or talk with Marlene, Mary, and Alice.

It was really starting to bother her, thinking about Marlene. She didn’t have a crush on Remus, she couldn’t. She and Marlene had completely opposite taste in guys. In their time at Hogwarts, Marlene had dated older boys. She’d dated a seventh year in her fourth year.
She loved bad boys. Remus was none of the above. He was actually a couple months younger than her and the most responsible (albeit a little wimpy) of their year.

“Oi, Evans!”

Lily turned around to see Marlene marching towards her. She smiled. “Hey Marlene!” she said.

Marlene was not in the mood for chatting though. Red in the face, she stared her down. “We have a bone to pick.” She said, taking Lily’s arm and dragging her out. Lily just had enough time to gather up her books and parchment and shove them in her bag as she followed Marlene out of the library and into an empty corridor.

“You asked Remus out?” she asked.

Lily nodded. “Yeah, I did.” She said bravely.

Marlene stared at her, hurt. “How could you?”

“I didn’t know you liked him!” Lily said, shocked.

Marlene gave her a look. “I’d think it’s obvious.” She snorted. “Alice, Mary, and the others all seemed to notice.”

“He doesn’t have your name on him, Marlene!” Lily argued. “He can go out with who he wants to. Besides, he said yes.” She said proudly.

Marlene laughed bitterly. “Of course he said yes; you asked him in front of everyone, he
wouldn’t let a girl down in front of the whole school.”

Lily rolled her eyes. “Shut up. You think you know everything but you don’t. You’re just jealous because he likes me better than you. Why wouldn’t he like me? He chose me, so get over it.”
She snarled. For a moment, she regretted it. She’d never spoken to her friend like that, ever. She loved Marlene. Even though the two of them had little spats, they’d never fought over a boy.

Marlene’s eyes glistened as if she were about to cry. “You’re horrible. I hate you.” She said, walking away briskly, folding her arms.

Lily stood there, upset. That’d done it; her best friend hated her.

*~*~*~*

Remus, James, Sirius, and Peter were sitting in the common room when Marlene stomped in through the portrait sobbing.

The four boys, who were awfully close to Marlene, all jumped up at the sight of her crying. She wasn’t a particularly weepy girl, which startled them.

“Are you alright, Mar?” James asked, rubbing her shoulder.

“No, I am not alright.” She retorted. “She’s a menace! I hate her!”

“Hate who?” Sirius asked.

“We’ll make you feel better, Marlene.” Remus said softly, taking her arm.

She yanked it away. “No, you’re just as horrible as she is! I can’t believe I thought we were best friends. She’s such a prat.” She sobbed, running up the stairs.

The four boys were confused, especially Remus. Usually he and Marlene were pretty close.
Suddenly, Lily walked through the door, huffing. “Haven’t seen Marlene, have you?”

“You! It’s your fault she’s so upset!” Sirius said.

“What did you say to her?” James asked, angered. For the moment, he didn’t care that he had a crush on Evans. She’d hurt Marlene, his little sister. No one would cross him if
Marlene was upset.

“She’s being stupid.” Lily said, marching up the stairs.

Sirius sighed. “This is going to be one tough date for you, Moony.”

Remus gulped, afraid.

*~*~*~*

That Saturday was already an uncomfortable one. Marlene had refused to sleep in the dorm room with the other girls so long as Lily was there. With Lily not budging, Marlene begrudgingly slept in the common room for the rest of the week.

Lily was getting ready for her date and noticed Alice and Mary being awfully quiet.

“What’s with you lot?” Lily asked.

Mary sighed. “I just don’t think you and Remus are a good match.” She blurted.

Lily sighed. Everyone had been telling her that. But he was perfect for her, he was. They were basically the same.

“You could just talk to her.” Alice said, pained.

Lily shook her head. “I refuse to talk to her.”

She left the common room and went down to the courtyard where various couples were meeting up. Checking her watch, it was nearly time. She tapped her foot nervously until she saw the group of Gryffindors descending.

Alice was on the arm of Frank Longbottom. She waved shyly to Lily, as did Frank, before the two of them set off with Frank’s sixth year friends.

Mary was walking next to Sirius, smiling. Thinking about it, the two did make a handsome couple. Mary’s blonde hair contrasted with Sirius’s dark brown curls. They were both smiling at each other as they walked along. Mary was so enamored by him she completely ignored Lily walking out.

Then she saw Peter, James, Marlene, and Remus. Remus looked white. He kept turning back to James and talking to him, while James shook his head. Marlene laced her arm through James and stood there with him, fidgeting. Peter and James pushed Remus towards Lily, and he walked towards her. The three set off for Hogsmeade together.

“Hey Remus.” Lily said shyly.

“Hi.” Remus said weakly.

“Are you ready to go?” she asked, holding out her hand for him to hold.

Startled, Remus took it. “Ready as I’ll ever be.”