Status: new story...tell me what you think!

After All This Time

8.

At dinner, everyone was back from Hogsmeade. Mary and Sirius had just come in, and they were both red in the face and holding hands tighter than ever.

“So you two are together now, eh?” James asked, slapping Sirius’s back. “Good for you, mate. It’s about time.”

“Yeah, we’re tired of hearing ‘oh Mary’ all the time.” Peter sniggered.

As Mary turned red, Sirius smacked both James and Peter, who erupted in roars.
Remus and Lily walked into the Great Hall after prefect duty. Lily walked up to Marlene.

“Can I talk to you?” she asked quietly.

Marlene got up and followed Lily outside.

“Come to your senses?” Marlene asked, folding her arms.

Lily sighed. “I’m sorry, Mar. I was a prat and didn’t want to accept the truth.”

Marlene’s face softened. “Oh Lil…I’m sorry. I was being an arse too.”

“We’re pathetic.” Lily said, hugging her best friend.

Marlene laughed. “Oh, I know we are.”

“He likes you.” Lily giggled.

Marlene pulled away. “What?” she asked, shocked.

Lily nodded. “He told me he fancies you. He thinks you’re fit.”

Marlene turned bright red. “What do I do?” she asked, panicked.

Lily linked her arm with Marlene’s. “Go for him.” She offered.

The two re-entered the Great Hall. Lily took a seat next to Mary and Alice while Marlene tapped Remus’s shoulder. She pulled him up and snogged him right on the spot.

Peter’s jaw dropped and Sirius started laughing. James, laughing as well, started clapping. The girls cheered on Mary as the rest of the hall either started cat calling or awkwardly watched.

As Marlene released Remus, everyone turned to see Dumbledore clearing his throat.

“Oh, the trials of young love. Mr. Lupin and Miss McKinnon, you should eat your dinner, not each others faces.”

Both red in the face, the two sat down.

“Well, there goes two marauders.” Mary said amused.

“Two?” Marlene, Alice, James, Lily, Remus, and Peter asked.

Mary looked at Sirius, who shot her a cocky grin. It was enough for the whole group to
understand. They were together.

“Well, finally.” Lily said, laughing. “Half our room is paired off.”

“Well, perhaps more.” Alice murmured. She looked up the table at Frank Longbottom, who blushed as well and winked at her.

“A sixth year? Wow Alice, that’s fantastic. He’s fit.” Mary said.

“Pardon?” Sirius asked.

Mary chuckled. “Yes, whatever.”

Marlene grinned. “So Lily, you’re the last one…which one is it, James or Peter?”

The whole group roared with laughter as James, Lily, and Peter turned red.

“Oh, I don’t know.” Lily joked.

“That’s just being brutal, Evans. You know we’re meant to be.” James winked.

Lily laughed. “In your dreams Potter.”

James winked again. “Certainly, darling.”

Lily gagged as the rest of their group laughed.

*~*~*~*

Severus Snape watched the group of Gryffindors from across the Great Hall. They were all laughing and talking loudly. Lily shoved James Potter, who grinned back at her.

“It’s disgusting, isn’t it? That McKinnon girl and that disgusting Lupin snogging in front of everyone…I nearly lost my stomach.” Mulciber said coolly.

“You’re just jealous he’s scored better than you in Dark Arts.” Avery teased.

“Shut it, Avery.” Nott said. “Still watching that mudblood, Severus?”

“Don’t call her that.” Severus said.

“Fancy her, don’t you?” Nott sniggered.

“No, of course not. She’s just an old friend, that’s all.” He muttered.

“Really Severus, we can’t understand why you’re friends with her.” Amara Zabini said. “She thinks she knows everything.”

Severus ignored them. No one would break apart his friendship with Lily. They’d be friends forever, they promised each other. No matter what he did, Lily always forgave him.

As dinner ended, Severus slowly sulked out of the Great Hall. Amara and Dahlia Parkinson walked out, arms linked. Nott, Avery, and Mulciber took to teasing first years. Uninterested, Severus watched the group of Gryffindors on their way back to the tower.

Black had his arm around Mary MacDonald. Lupin and McKinnon were holding hands. Peter and Potter were on either side of Alice Palvin and Lily, teasing them and bumping them.

Uninterested, the girls pretended not to hear their jokes. Potter stuck his face in Lily’s and she swatted him away. When Potter and Pettigrew ran to the stairs to race to the common room, Lily turned around. Severus smiled at her, which she returned and waved back until tugged up the stairs by Alice.

She’d always care for him.