‹ Prequel: Her Remedy

Love Transcends All

Chapter 2

I sighed as I put my phone down on the table. It was my third attempt at calling Arin but he has not answered any of my calls. He didn’t come home for lunch like he said he would and when I called, he didn’t answer. Now before you start thinking that I’m just being paranoid, Arin was never like this. When he said he’d come home, he would and if he couldn’t come home, he would at least send me a text.

“What’s with the frown?” My colleague and fast best friend, Sarah asked. I met Sarah about 7 months ago, when I first started working. Both of us work for the same magazine as writers. I didn’t have many female friends, so I was actually intimidated by the sight of her. She was beautiful; with long blonde hair and porcelain skin. Her blue eyes were accentuated with the soft eyeliner that she would always have on. Then slowly I opened up to her and we became fast friends. Now, we’re inseparable.

When we first started to grow close, I was hesitant to tell her about my past. Looking back, I’m grateful that I trusted her. She didn’t take the news as easy as Arin; she was shocked. But she got over that and she told me that she didn’t care about my past because the present Melissa is doing so much better.

I sighed and looked away from her. We have become so close to the point where she could tell that something was not right for me. I think besides Arin, Sarah was the other person who completely knew who I was inside and out. “I’m just restless,” I said. A waiter came to our table to clean up our empty plates. Sarah and I were sitting at a cafe near our places for a few bites.

“Are you worried about Arin?” she queried. I nodded. “Oh, he’s fine. You gotta chill out a bit,” she chuckled before sipping on her cup of coffee.

I smiled at her remark. This is what I love about Sarah. No matter how down I was, she would always find a way to cheer me up. I remember this one time where Arin and I had a fight over something really small, and I went to her place and we ended up watching some crappy horror movies while laughing our heads off.

“Easy for you to say,” I told her. “It has been almost 5 hours and there’s no call or texts from him,” I checked my wristwatch for the time, and it showed 5.45pm. “I’m not worried or anything, I’m just really curious about his tryout. You do know how he is, right?”

Sarah laughed. “I know! He’s such a shy little dork!” She said and it was my turn to laugh. “Do you think he’d nail it?”

I shrugged. “Honestly, I don’t know. He’s a great drummer, though. Hopefully he’s good enough to impress them.”

Sarah rested her chin on her hand. “Wow,” she breathed. Her eyes darted elsewhere as she thought about something. “Just imagine if they like him enough to take him in as their new touring drummer. Before you know it, he’ll be living the life of a rockstar, flying across the world to play for a metal band.”

I honestly did not think about that. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not because I didn’t believe in Arin’s drumming skills; I know he is good. It’s just that that thought didn’t cross my mind when he told me that he’s going for the tryout. Honestly, though, I’m not too keen on the thought of him being away from me for a long period of time.

“I think he’ll like it. You know, touring and stuff. I’m pretty sure he’d enjoy it,” I told Sarah. I looked down and drank the last remnants of my drink and when I looked up, Sarah was looking at me intently. “What?”

“Would you like it if he goes on tour?” she asked. This woman seemed like she could read my mind, and sometimes I hated when she goes all psychic-mind reader on me. “I mean, it’s Avenged Sevenfold, people from all over the fucking world wants to see them.”

I sighed. I don’t like this topic. But knowing my best friend, she would not drop the subject that easily. “I know how big the band is, Sarah. If he gets the job, then I’ll be happy for him,” I said truthfully. And I meant that with all my being. “It’s just that... We’ve never been apart for a long period of time, and... I don’t know.”

Sarah reached across the table for my hand. Gently, she caressed the back of my palm. “Whatever it is, you both will make it work, I’m sure of it. If he gets the job, it’s just another hurdle that you guys have to go through, and considering the fact that you guys have been through a lot, I do think you guys will be fine.”

I smiled back at her and squeezed her hand. Those comforting words were exactly what I need. Pushing the thought of Arin leaving, I nodded and tried to be optimistic. “Yeah, I know we’ll be fine.”

-----------------------------------

30 minutes after my conversation with Sarah, we decided to go back to our respective places. On the way back, I finally received a text from Arin that said, “I’m home, Lis. I miss you, come back to me,” which instantly put a smile on my face. It’s amazing how we’ve been together for 3 years now, yet every little thing that he does would always make my heart skip a beat.

“Arin?” I called out as I entered our apartment. He was nowhere to be seen, so I went straight to our bedroom to change into something more comfortable. As I entered our room, I heard the shower running from the bathroom, signalling Arin’s presence in it. Suddenly the thought of what we were doing in the kitchen earlier today came back and I blushed as I felt the familiar warmness coursing through my body.

Damn this man and his experienced self.

Just as I finished changing, the door to the bathroom opened and Arin stepped out with only the towel wrapped around his lower abdomen. I tried to hide my blush as various memories of both of us making love in the past flashed in my mind. I smiled at him and played cool. “How was your day?” I asked.

I think he could guess that I was quite happy to see him in only his towel because when he walked over to the dresser, it was as if he was purposely taking his own time, teasing me in the process. “It went well, although it was so tiring,” he said.

I didn’t say anything in return. I wanted to ask him more about his tryout, but I couldn’t find my voice. He had just let the towel slip down to his ankles as he wore his boxers and I knew he did that on purpose. I didn’t even realise that he’d turn around to look at me when I was staring at his body. I heard him chuckle and my eyes darted up to his face. He had a smirk. “Like what you see?” he asked.

“You’re such a fucking tease, do you know that?” I said as he took a step closer towards me.

“But you love it.”

“I do, but you’re torturing me with all the teasing, Arin.”

“That’s the whole point,” he said before crashing his lips onto mine. I didn’t have the strength to push him away; not that I wanted to do that anyways.

I was kissing him back feverishly, as though I haven’t seen him in months. His hands roamed my body, a territory he’s familiar with, knowing all the right places to touch, to send me into a state of ecstasy. I gave a soft yelp as I felt his strong hands pulling me up and laying me down on our bed. My heart raced as I felt him taking off my shirt as he continued his assault on my body.

“What do you say we continue where we left off in the kitchen earlier today?” he asked with a playful twinkle in his eyes.

I grinned and wrapped my legs around his waist as I pulled him down for another passionate kiss. “Just fuck me already,” I said – almost to the point of begging – before he happily obliged my request.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are needed for me to continue!