‹ Prequel: Her Remedy

Love Transcends All

Chapter 3

A few weeks went by and I noticed a slight change in Arin’s daily routine. Normally, when he’s not at work, he would help me around the house while I was away at work. He used to be in a band but when that didn’t work out, he started work at the local music store. He would still practise drums; it’s one of his passions to play drums. He would allocate at least 1 hour to practice during the weekends. But now, I find him practicing drums whenever he has free time. And he’d stay in the room for, like, 2 hours every single day. Today was no exception.

I woke up hearing the loud banging of the drums. I didn’t mind it at all; I was used to it. I went to his small practice room and found him pounding away on the drums. The room was small, and it only fit the drum set and nothing else. I stood by the doorway and looked at him as he rehearsed.

I loved seeing him playing the drums. He looked so focused; the intensity in his eyes just showed how much love he had in playing drums. Sometimes I joked that he loves his drum set more than he loves me. He would just stick his tongue out and he’d proceed to tell me that while he loves me more than life itself, his drum set is right behind me.

Suddenly the room fell silent and that made me snap out of my own thoughts. I looked at Arin and smiled as he stepped away from his drum set, grabbing a towel to wipe the sweat of his face. “Did it wake you up?” Arin asked before he came over and gave me a quick kiss.

“It did, but I didn’t mind it at all,” I said. I went to kitchen and made us both something to eat. He followed behind me and poured himself a glass of water and proceed it to gulp the whole thing down. As I scooped the cereal into my mouth, I asked him the question that has been bothering me since he started practising drums like mad. “Have you heard anything about the tryouts?”

Arin didn’t answer immediately. His eyes where anywhere but mine and I could tell he was hiding something. He scratched the back of his head and pushed the few strands of hair that fell on his face. “They want me to come in again this week. If everything goes well, I’ll be their touring drummer.”

I wasn’t sure what I felt when I heard that. I was happy for him, I was sure of that. But at the same time I can’t help but to feel... I don’t know... sad maybe? Sarah’s voice came back to me from our conversation a few weeks ago. “Before you know it, he’ll be living the life of a rockstar, flying across the world to play for a metal band.” Am I ready for that?

“What are you thinking?”

I looked up only to find him staring at me intently, with a curious look on his face. I beamed widely at him. I shouldn’t think about all these negativity. We’re gonna make it, we’re stronger than rocks, nothing will break us apart. “I’m so happy for you, babe,” I said. When he heard that, his face lit up and a smile formed on his face.

--------------------------------

The week went by in a flash. Arin went to the studio earlier today and I think I’m the more nervous one out of the two of us. I was anxious and nervous for him. I was sitting at the living room with the television on. It was playing some random tv show and even though my eyes were glued to the screen, I wasn’t focussing on it. Periodically my eyes went to my phone on the coffee table. I was waiting for Arin to text or call; I was dying to know about his callback.

If Arin gets the job, I would be really happy for him. I know this is what he likes to do; it’s his passion. He came from a musically inclined family and music is definitely his career pathway. I would just deal with the fact that he will have to leave me behind to go on tour, but I have faith in him. He will do great, I’m sure of it. He’s only 23 but he has so much talent. A talent that can even put seasoned drummers to shame. And I know he would be honoured to play for Avenged Sevenfold. Jimmy was the best drummer in the world and he’s also Arin’s idol. Arin would be overjoyed to be able to play for the band.

I know Arin would be crushed if he didn’t get the job. It’s ridiculous of me to worry about when he goes on tour; I love him and we’ll make it through no matter what. I just want him to be able to do what he’s passionate about.

I’m not sure how long I’ve stayed there in the living room but my thoughts were cut short when I heard the door opened. I turned around and I saw Arin walking in with the biggest smile on his face. I couldn’t help but to smile too.

“I got the job,” he said. I rushed to him and flung my arms around him. I felt his arms around my waist as we hugged tightly. Words cannot describe how proud I am of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Filler chapter! Comments are love!