Status: In the works....

Simple Kind of Life

Chapter 22

All Avery could think about was her heart and how it was pounding against her chest. The last time she met someone's family, she wasn't a divorcee with two kids and a recovering drug addict for an ex. These certainly weren't qualities anyone would want for their child to get wrapped up in. Jeff assured her they were excited to meet her, but he has to say that.

Lili was getting antsy as she sat in Avery's lap, fidgeting and fussing. The child behaved the entire plane ride, but now things were starting to unravel.

"My sister's here," Jeff looked up from his phone. "Let's get going."

The group gathered their things from the small waiting area and they followed Jeff outside into the cold afternoon. A young woman with light wavy hair jumped out from the driver's side of an SUV and made a bee line for Jeff.

"Hey stranger!" She hugged him tightly, revealing she was almost as tall as him.

"Hey Chris," He smiled warmly at her. "Christine, this is Avery, Aaron, and Lili."

The woman released her brother from the hug and immediately began embracing Avery's crew. She gave Aaron a tight squeeze and Avery a one armed hug since she was balancing Lili on her hip.

"Look at this little cutie!" She gushed over Lili, who loved the attention. "I hope you're not sick of opening presents because there are a couple gifts at the house for you guys."

Lili's eyes grew wide as they shifted to her mother and a smile broke on her face.

"You guys didn't have to do that." Avery assured her as she strapped Lili into the car seat Jeff had quickly installed while his sister greeted them.

"Oh stop, it's just a few little things. Mom wanted you guys to have something to open."

The car ride was a long one, but Christine kept the conversation going by asking a ton of questions. Avery got the feeling Christine genuinely wanted to get to know them rather than being intrusive. Eventually they pulled up to a large house in the suburbs.

They were barely in the front door when a woman greeted them. Like Christine, the older woman happily embraced Jeff. Immediately Avery knew she was his mother. The resemblance was unreal.

“This is my mom Jane." The woman greeted Avery with opened arms and sucked her into a tight hug.

"Jeff, she's beautiful," Jane grinned at her son briefly. "And so exotic. He never mentioned you were Asian."

Avery smiled nervously. "Japanese, actually."

"You're just a breath of fresh air. If I saw Jeff with another blonde bimbo-"

"Mom!" Jeff whined. "Please."

The woman rolled her eyes at her son before focusing on the kids. "And this must be Aaron and Lili. Jeff absolutely gushes about you two all the time."

Now Jeff's tanned face was bright red and it made Avery smile that he talked about her children to his mother.

"Ma, you're making Jeffy blush." His sister cooed as she pinched at his cheek. He quickly pushed her hand away and sighed.

"I'm gonna say hi to dad, you vultures." Jeff squeezed Avery's shoulder, giving her a weak smile before disappearing upstairs.

"He was always so sensitive." Christine teased, grinning at Avery.

"So I hope you guys are hungry, I have a huge turkey in the oven." Jane said to the kids, who were always hungry.

"Did you need any help in the kitchen?" Avery asked, not wanting to just show up for dinner without offering assistance.

"I could use a hand cutting up potatoes," Her eyes settled on Christine. "Chrissy, why don't you take Aaron and Lili into the living room to open their gifts."

Christine nodded and the children happily followed her while Avery tailed behind Jane.

"It's so nice to finally meet a girlfriend of Jeff's that isn't dreadful." Jane commented as she placed a bowl full of washed and peeled potatoes on the kitchen counter.

"He's brought home a lot of duds?" Avery asked as Jane pulled out a large pot and some cutting knives. She handed one to Avery.

"He's only brought home a few. But I hear things, I read things." There was a genuine tinge of sadness to Jane's voice. Avery was sure the woman had stumbled across unflattering accounts of Jeff and his long list of conquests, things no mother wants to read about her son.

"I'm sure that can be tough."

She nodded. "It was. But I knew that he'd grow up and pick a good one."

Avery blushed as she focused on cutting up potatoes and throwing them in the large pot. "Well I don't know about that."

"I do. He's crazy about you. I can tell by the way he talks about you. And those kids. The little one has him wrapped around her finger. He told me he let her paint his toenails. I nearly died from laughing."

Avery chuckled. "It took awhile, but he's very sweet with her."

"How old is she?"

"She's four."

"Big girl. And Aaron?"

"Sixteen going on 30." The two women chuckled.

"And he's your brother? That's a lot of responsibility for such a young woman."

Now it was old hat, but when she was nineteen and suddenly the guardian of a little boy, things got messy. Her role as big sister changed and it was hard for both of them. She didn't like having to set rules and boundaries any more than he enjoyed listening to her. But they eventually found a balance that worked for them.

"It is. But it's gotten easier. Aaron's a good kid."

"They both seem so well behaved."

Avery grinned. "You just don't know them yet."

Jane snorted at the comment. "Can't wait to see it."

Avery tilted her head, smiling softly at the older woman. "So it doesn't bother you that I have children?"

The woman stopped cutting vegetables and peered at Avery, a serious look upon her face. "To be honest, when Jeff first told us about you and that you were a mother and married, I was a little wary."

"Completely understandable."

"Dating someone with so much going on in their life is hard. Especially for a guy like my son, who isn't used to such responsibilities.” Jane sighed and a slight grin returned to her face. “But I think it’s been good for him. He isn’t drinking as much. And I certainly don’t read about his exploits anymore. Which I greatly appreciate. So thank you.”

Avery dipped her chin, feeling her face flush. “You’re very welcome.”

Both of their eyes shifted to the threshold as Jeff entered the kitchen followed by a much older man.

“Av, this is my dad Jim.” The two men exchanged grins before Jim patted his son on the back and reached out a hand to Avery. She quickly wiped potato residue off of her hands before shaking his.

“Nice to meet you, Avery. We’ve heard a lot about you.” Jeff shook his head, another blush rising to his cheeks. “And your kids are so polite. Lili gave me the firmest handshake I’ve ever gotten from a kid.”

Avery chuckled. The child was full of surprises.

“AARON!” An all too familiar screech filled the house. Avery gave Jeff’s parents an apologetic smile.

“You spoke too soon. I’ll be right back.” She headed into the living room to see her brother holding something above Lili’s head. Christine sat back, helpless and unsure of what to do.

“What are you doing to her?” Avery asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Mommy, Mr. and Mrs. Carter gave me a Phineas and Ferb DVD for Christmas and Airhead won’t give it back.” The child was on the verge of tears as she hugged her mother’s legs. Avery hoisted Lili up and held her close, hoping to avoid a meltdown. She narrowed her eyes at her grinning brother.

“Do not push her buttons, Aaron. Not now.” She grabbed the DVD from him and handed it to Lili. “And I think you need a nap.”

“You can take her upstairs to one of the guest rooms, if you need to.” Christine chimed in, smiling weakly.

“But I don’t want a nap!” The desperate whine signaled the beginning of the waterworks for Lili, who buried her head in her mother’s shoulder.

“It’s the third door on the left,” Christine smirked. “The guestroom.”

Avery nodded, grabbed Lili’s stuffed bear and headed upstairs with the sobbing girl.

“Mommy, please. I don’t want a nap.” The child pleaded as Avery placed her on the bed and began to take her shoes off.

“It was a long flight and you’re cranky. This will make you feel better.” Lili frowned, crawled under the covers and lied down. Avery handed her the stuffed bear.

“You better wake me up for dinner.”

Avery smiled. “Of course, Squeaks.” She kissed the child on the forehead and turned out the lights before heading downstairs. Everyone had congregated in the living room by this time.

“Sorry about that,” She sighed as she sat next to Jeff on the couch. “It’s been a long day.”

“It happens,” Jane assured her. “Jeff once threw a tantrum in the middle of the supermarket because I wouldn’t buy him Lucky Charms.”

“Mom, c’mon.” Jeff groaned, throwing an arm around Avery.

“I had to drag him off the floor and threaten to take him to the ladies’ room.”

Avery’s eyebrows wrinkled together as her eyes shifted from Jeff to his mother. “The ladies’ room?”

“Oh God, this is happening, isn’t it?” Jeff whispered, burying his head into the curve of Avery’s neck.

“I used to tell the kids if they were misbehaving out in public, I could take them into the ladies’ room and no one would hear them scream. Jeff was horrified of the ladies’ room.”

Avery shook with laughter and patted Jeff’s back. This visit to Ontario was proving to be very interesting. Jeff usually tried to come off as suave and smooth. But within seconds, his family was able to pick apart his cool demeanor and bring him back to earth. Avery loved it.

Dinner went well for Jeff. Only two embarrassing stories about his childhood were told, making everyone laugh, especially Avery. He loved her hearty cackle, even if it was at his expense. After dinner was the unbearable portion of the night. His mother simply had to pull out the baby albums, showing pictures of Jeff as a kid.

“Did he ever smile?” Lili asked as Jane flipped the page. She was sitting on the couch, nestled between the two women. They snorted over a picture of Jeff as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle on Halloween.

“What’s all over his mouth?” Avery asked through her laughter.

“Icing. He had eaten an entire tray of cupcakes and spent the night throwing up in the bathroom.”

More cackling.

Jeff’s eyes shifted over to Aaron. “See what happens when you have a girlfriend. They’re nothing but trouble.”

The teen grinned. “You brought her here. You were asking for this.”

So much for sympathy.

It felt like an eternity before Avery decided it was time to put Lili to bed and they could go to their hotel. Jeff’s mother offered to let them stay at the house, but he declined. And for good reason. He loved his family more than anything, but he preferred to do it from afar.

“Thank you for having us. We really enjoyed dinner.” Avery hugged Jane and Jim closely.

“And the presents.” Lili chimed in from her place in Jeff’s arms.

“No problem. Please stop by again before you leave.” Jane finally let go of the woman.

“We definitely will. Have a good night, guys.” Avery took Lili from Jeff and followed Christine back to her SUV. His sister was going to drive them to their hotel.

Jeff leaned down for a hug from his mother. “I like her, Jeff. You better not mess it up with her or I’ll hurt you.” Jane warned. There was a teasing tone to her voice, but Jeff knew she was serious.

******************************************************************************

Jeff’s chest heaved as he lay on top of Avery, completely spent. He stayed there, lazily studying her face. He loved her rounded nose and how her pupils blended in with her inky irises.

“What?” She asked, wrinkling that rounded nose at him.

“Nothing,” He whispered, kissing her nose. “I was thinking we could drive around tomorrow. See all the sights.”

Avery arched a dark eyebrow at him, an amused look on her delicate face. “The sights?”

“Yeah. I grew up here. I want to show you and the kids around my hometown.”

She smiled as her fingers ran through his short, soft hair. He knew she liked it when he left out the hair gel. “OK. I think that sounds great.”

He kissed her again before rolling off of her. She immediately pressed her warm body against his. “My mother likes you.”

“Oh yeah?” He could hear the smile in her voice as his hand glided over her bare back.

“Yeah. She threatened bodily harm if I messed things up with you.”

A chuckle reverberated through her body. “I like her too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?

Two updates in one week? I hope your heads don't explode. :) As always, your thoughts are appreciated.

Oh and if you were interested, this is the picture of Jeff as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. He's the second one in the gallery.