Status: In the works....

Simple Kind of Life

Chapter 26

Jeff was frantic, trying to dodge the officer.

“That’s my family in there. Please, you have to let me through.” He was about to play the ‘I’m a professional athlete’ card, but he didn’t have to. The policeman’s face softened.

“Alright, go in. Just be careful. There’s glass everywhere.”

Jeff jumped over the puddle of blood and charged into the house. His breath hitched in his throat at the site before him and unexpected tears sprung into his eyes, blurring his vision.

Avery and Aaron were sitting on the couch, Lili curled up in her mother’s lap. They looked worse for wear, but they were all in one piece. An officer was sitting on the coffee table, interviewing them and writing things down on a yellow legal tablet.

Lili was the first to see Jeff. Her eyes grew large and she wriggled out of her mother’s grasp before running full speed toward him. She felt soft and tiny in his arms as she hugged him wordlessly. Avery snuck into the embrace and Jeff welcomed her with his free arm. Their dog Phin whined at his feet, ears flattened against his big head. The tears welling up in his eyes fell down his cheeks and dotted Avery’s dark, wavy hair.

“Are you crying?” Avery asked, looking up at him with watery eyes.

He shrugged and tried to wipe the tears away on his shoulder. “I was so scared. I saw the blood and I thought-” He couldn’t finish the sentence. He placed a kiss on her forehead instead. It terrified him to think that he lost her and he never wanted to experience it again.

“It was Jamie’s. He showed up here after a binge and broke the window trying to get in. He cut himself pretty bad. An ambulance took him away.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” The police officer’s voice halted their group hug. “But I have to finish up this report. It shouldn’t be too much longer.”

Avery gave the man a weak smile before turning back to Jeff. “Can you take her upstairs? Try to get her to bed?”

He nodded and carried the child to her room, Phin trailing behind them. He attempted to place her in her bed, but she cried and tightened the grip she had on him.

“OK, OK, how about we read our story instead.” Lili nodded as he grabbed Goodnight Moon off the bookshelf. It was a story that his mother read to him and his sister when they were little and it gave him a warm, nostalgic feeling whenever he read it to Liliana. He sat in the rocking chair with the child cuddled in his lap.

“‘In a great green room, there was a telephone. And a red balloon. And a picture of a cow jumping over the moon.’” He started, gently stroking her dark hair with his free hand. It wasn’t long before she was snoring lightly. As quietly as he could, he picked the girl up and placed her in her bed before covering her with blankets. Phin hopped onto the mattress and snuggled in with her, protectively curling around her.

“Good boy.” Jeff whispered, ruffling the dog’s ears. His feet felt heavy as he headed back down stairs. All the adrenaline coursing through his body was gone, leaving him weighed down with exhaustion. The police had dispersed and Jeff, Mike, Avery and Aaron silently cleaned up the mess James had left. They finished picking up the last of the shards of glass just as the sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon, giving way for a pink and orange swirled sky.

“I’m gonna try to get some sleep.” Aaron huffed, wiping off his flannel pajama bottoms. Avery stood from brushing tiny pieces of window into a dust pan and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“I’m thinking a day off from school is in order.” She whispered to him with a weak grin before disappearing into the house to dispose of the glass.

Aaron turned to Jeff and wrapped him up into a bear hug. The gestured surprised Jeff, making his eyes widen.

“Thanks, man.” The teen released his grip. “For showing up. For being here for them.”

Jeff nodded, completely unsure of what to say. Aaron smacked him on the shoulder lightly, said goodbye to Mike and headed into the house just as Avery reappeared outside.

“You guys better get back to New York, they’re gonna wonder where you are.” Jeff frowned.

“I’m not leaving.” He said sternly, folding his arms over his chest.

“I hate to be a dick, but she’s right.” Mike chimed in. He hugged the small woman, saying goodbye to her. Jeff heard her thank him quietly before he headed to the car. The blond followed slowly, his hand dragging his girlfriend behind him. He leaned against the passenger’s side door and peered down at her.

He was desperately trying to memorize this moment; her imperfect half smile, the way the shirt she wore hung half off her slender shoulder. The light from the newly awoken sun was shining off of her hair, making the blue undertone of her black tresses more apparent as the breeze shuffled them around her face.

"You really have to go now, Jeff." She whispered, taking a step closer to him so she could wrap her arms around his waist and lay her head on his chest. “We’ll be OK.”

He wrapped his arms lazily around her upper back. "I know," He replied shakily, turning his head to place a soft kiss on her forehead.

He heard Mike knock on the window in an attempt to hurry him along. Jeff didn't acknowledge it as he pulled back from her only to move in again and press her tightly against his torso.

"I love you." He whispered effortlessly and without a second thought, allowing the unspoken feelings to finally be heard.

A smile erupted on her face as the words breezed through his lips and into her ears. It
wasn't forced, it was honest and sincere. It was perfect, but it inevitably made his departure harder to handle.

She pulled his face down to meet hers, causing the hat he was wearing to glide up further on his head. "I love you." Her lips made contact with his when her mouth moved to produce those words, sending a shiver from his neck to his tailbone and back up again.

"I'll see you later," She whispered, looking straight into his eyes. He nodded his head against her forehead, and brought his hand up to her cheek to run his thumb over it.

“I’ll call you when I get to New York.” She nodded and kissed him one last time before he got into the vehicle with his impatient teammate.

A wide, impish grin was carved into Mike’s face.

Jeff sighed. “What?”

“Nothing.” Came the captain’s playful response.

Jeff simply punched his friend’s arm before they drove away.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the short chapter, but I didn't want to leave you guys with this cliffhanger for too long. I also want to extend my sincerest thank you to everyone that has stuck with me, the new readers and everyone that commented. I usually like to reply to everyone individually, but I recently started a new job and I've been terribly busy with it.

So, as usual, let me know what you liked, didn't like, ect ect. Love you guys!