Status: In the works....

Simple Kind of Life

Chapter 8

Everyone always says teachers are lucky; they get the summer and every holiday off with pay. But that was a myth created by non-teachers. For Avery, the last few weeks of August were spent in workshops about anti-bullying, curriculum meetings, and her own stuffy classroom arranging and rearranging the round tables where the students are seated.

Not that she could complain. Somehow, she had avoided summer school duty this year, not to mention being an art teacher was a pretty sweet gig anyway. It was vastly different from regular classroom teaching in every single way. It was less restrictive, less stifling, and had absolutely no routine. Avery loved her job, she loved her students (most of them, anyway), and it made her happy.

So happy that she liked to spend a little extra time hanging artwork in her classroom. Some were replicas of the greats and some were original pieces that she had created. Call her crazy, but she felt it was important to foster a creative environment, even if it’s just for finger-painting and papier-mâché.

Avery was perched at her desk, pouring over her lesson plan when the sound of high heels echoed through the room. She looked up to see Angie striding toward her.

“You’re still here?” She asked, leaning her hip against the corner of Avery’s colorful desk. A group of students had painted it for her a few years back when she first started at Herbert Hoover Elementary School. They had gone to town on the light colored wood, splashing it with paint. It reminded her of an abstract by Jackson Pollack and she loved it.

Avery put her pencil down and rubbed her temples. “Yeah. I had to decorate, throw together a lesson plan and I wanted to work on a proposal for a family art night.” The blonde rolled her eyes.

“Let me guess, you’re gonna need volunteers for that, huh?”

Avery nodded, smiling widely at her friend. “And I know how much you love giving up your free time for the kids.”

Angie groaned and rolled her eyes. “Bunch of ignorant little fucks. Do you know how many wads of gum I had to dig out of my chalkboard erasers last year? I swear, fifth graders are getting worse every year. Retirement sounds pretty good right now.”

Avery chuckled. “You say that every year,” She started packing up her lesson plan and supplies. It was nearly five in the afternoon and she had promised Aaron she wouldn’t make him watch his niece past six. “And you’re not allowed to retire until Liliana comes through here.”

“For Squeaks, I will try to hold onto my sanity. I can’t promise she’ll learn anything though.” Avery grabbed her tote bag and followed Angie out of the classroom.

“Who needs history anyway? Lil will be fine without it.” The women continued to chat as they headed toward the teachers’ lounge to clock out for the day. Howard, an older gym teacher and t-ball coach, was currently stationed at the coffee machine, cup in hand. He was talking to Carly, a fifth grade English teacher and an all-around bitch. From day one, the blonde hated Avery and didn’t bother to hide it. Her blue eyes narrowed at the two women.

“Angie. Avery.” She sneered a greeting at them.

“Twatface.” Came Angie’s response. Avery wasn’t always thankful for her friend’s big mouth, but it did have its moments. Howard laughed and excused himself from the brewing cat fight by making a beeline for the exit.

Carly rolled her blue eyes. “Have you guys put together your lesson plans yet?” She asked, twirling a piece of her golden hair around a manicured finger. Only Avery had finished, mostly because Angie was a procrastinator and didn’t really give a shit about her lesson plans. It’s not like she actually stuck to them.

“Of course you’d be finished, Avery. Must be nice, only worrying about having enough paint and glitter.”

For the record, art teachers hate glitter. It gets everywhere and you can never wash it off.

Avery ignored her comment, placed her heavy tote bag on a nearby chair and punched her timecard. Carly went over to do the same and on her way, she knocked into Avery’s bag, spilling its contents on the floor.

“Oops. You should really watch where you put your belongs, Av.” She sauntered past the two women, smirking triumphantly, as if she were proud of herself. Carly timed out and said her disingenuous goodbyes and left.

“Why is she such an insufferable cunt?” Angie growled, helping Avery collect her books.

“It’s me. She hates me.” It was interesting that no matter how old people get, high school never really ends. The mentality lives on, only it’s more pathetic because no one is 15 anymore.

“I don’t get why. You’ve always been nice to her.” Avery couldn’t be sure, but she suspected Carly resented how easy she perceived Avery’s job to be. But Carly didn’t understand that Avery’s role wasn’t simple, it was just different. Did she give out homework assignments or grade endless amounts of tests? No, but that doesn’t mean effort isn’t required. It also doesn’t mean Avery is responsibility-free either. Apparently because she chose a career that was fulfilling and satisfying in a creative and imaginative way, it was not valued or respected by her peers. It also made her Carly’s target.

“Man, I would do anything just to sock her in her pretty little twat face.” Angie fumed as the two made their way to the parking lot.

“She’s not worth it, Ang. Just leave her alone.” In all honesty, it didn’t bother Avery. She knew Carly was miserable and only wanted others to feel just as wretched.

“Maybe we can tell Jim she’s harassing you because you’re a jap. That’s a hate crime, ya know.” Avery shook her head and laughed.

“I’m not going to tattle to the principal.”

“Just think about it. I’ll vouch for you.” They hugged goodbye and went their separate ways to their cars.

Knowing a loud bustling house was waiting for her when she got home, Avery savored the silent car ride. She pulled into the driveway of the suburban home she grew up in. When her parents passed away, they left her the house, a large inheritance from their restaurant business in Tokyo, and her ten year old brother. Avery was going to school in New York when she heard the devastating news of the car accident that claimed her mother and father. Her first instinct was to crawl into the fetal position and hide until it didn’t hurt anymore. But she had a bigger issue to take care of; Aaron.

Their grandparents in Kyoto offered to take him in and give him the traditional Japanese upbringing. Avery almost considered it, knowing they would do a better job than a 19 year old girl. But when she looked at her brother, all she saw was the only living, breathing piece of her parents still in existence. She couldn’t send him off to Japan. Her only option was transferring to a school closer to home to raise Aaron. The siblings had their ups and downs, but never did she regret her decision. Well, maybe once or twice.

“Mommy!” Avery was barely in the front door when Liliana shot across the living room like a torpedo and latched on to her jeans.

“Did you miss me or something?” Avery picked her up and balanced the child on her hip as she eyed Aaron. He was turning off the gaming console and putting the controller away.

“I’m staying over Mark’s, I’ll be back later.” She watched him as he slipped his shoes on and began gathering videogames.

“You’re only going to Mark’s?”

“Yes.” He tossed a couple videogames into his backpack and grabbed his cell phone.

“You want a ride?”

“Nope.”

“Did you eat?”

“Yep.” His one word answers irritated her and he knew it.

“What did you eat?”

“Three and a half peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.”

Avery arched an eyebrow at the odd number.

“I ate a half.” Lili explained, a big smile on her face. That child could never say no to a good PB&J.

Avery nodded, pushing hair out of Lili’s face before putting her down. The human pinball was off again, bouncing around the living room. “OK, be careful. No drinking-”

“No drugs, no sex without condoms. I know.” Avery could hear Lili making a dramatic gagging noise from somewhere behind her.

“Call me if plans change, OK?” Aaron gave her the thumbs up as he headed for the front door. His hand was on the handle when he turned around.

“Love you, Av.” She didn’t even get a chance to repeat the words back before he was gone. She sighed, toed out of her shoes and plopped down on the couch. Lili climbed into her lap and rested her head against Avery’s chest.

"I guess it's just you and me, Squeaks." The little girl seemed delighted. Avery fixed a quick dinner of chicken and vegetables, promising an ice cream sundae if Lili ate half of her veggies. After many pouts and crocodile tears, the yearning for dessert outweighed the child's distain for anything healthy. Once the dishes were cleaned and in the drying rack, the two girls slipped their flip flops on and headed toward the door. Avery grabbed her car keys and opened the door to find a very tan, very blond man towering in the doorway. His one hand was held up as if he were caught mid-knock. Her surprised look mimicked his.

"What are you doing here?" She hadn't meant for the question to sound as rude as it did, but Jeff didn't seem to mind.

"You said 7, right?" He peered down at his watch and then looked back at the woman. "I'm early, aren't I?"

Avery was honestly shocked to the point where she had no idea what to say to him. Never once did she think she would lay eyes on her Sea Isle fling after their summer came to an end.

"So what are you guys up to?"

"We're getting ice cream." Lili offered, grabbing her mother's hand. “Wanna come along?” Avery gave the child a harsh look. She didn’t want Jeff to feel obligated. A play date probably wasn’t what he had in mind when he came over.

“Sure. I’d love some ice cream.” Avery frowned and led the two to her vehicle.

After a short drive, Avery turned the car into the small lot housing a worn ice cream cone shaped hut. This cozy little ice cream shop had been around for years, even when she was a kid. She could still remember when her mother used to cart her and Aaron to the family-owned ice cream shop in their old station wagon. Every Thursday, she would treat the kids to a cone of soft serve. Even to this day, the ice cream was made fresh and there was still a small playground next to it.

Avery parked and helped her daughter out of her car seat before the trio ordered their desserts. Jeff started to pull out his wallet when Avery stopped him.

“Oh no, you’re our guest. Put that away.” He was about to argue when the young girl behind the counter interrupted.

“It’s on the house, Mr. Carter.” The cute brunette smiled at Jeff as she handed over their frozen treats. He gave the girl a small wink and thanked her. Avery stared in disbelief, following him and Lili over to the playground.

“Mr. Carter?” She asked, mocking the fangirl’s high-pitched voice.

He grinned at her. “I’m kind of a big deal.”

The two adults sat on a bench while Liliana charged toward the jungle gym to join the other neighborhood children. Her ice cream cone teetered in her little hand, but telling her to sit down and eat it would have been futile.

“She’s gonna drop that.” The man warned before licking at his ice cream.

“I know.” Avery said plainly, letting the frozen delight melt on her tongue. “And then she’ll cry and I’ll give her mine. How do you think I stay so svelt?”

“So that’s your secret.” They sat in silence for a moment, both continuing the impossible task of keeping their ice cream from dripping.

“You know, I was joking about coming over. I really didn’t expect you to show up.”

He shrugged. “I didn’t expect to either.”

Avery shook her head. “Then why are you here?”

“I was invited for ice cream.” He held up his cone.

The woman elbowed him in the side. “Why did you show up at my house?” And then it hit her. She never told him her address. “How did you even know where I lived?”

“Claude gave me Angie’s number. And she was very forthcoming with the information. You should really choose your friends better.”

“That bitch.” She muttered, rolling her eyes.

“Mommy!” A deafening screech echoed through the dusk. Liliana came running with a scalped cone and a couple sniffles. Avery shook her head as she exchanged her daughter’s headless cone for her slightly withered one.

"You have to stop doing this," Avery whispered as she gently wiped the child’s sticky face with a napkin. "One day, I'm not going to give you my ice cream." That was a lie. She’d always gladly hand over her ice cream and Lili knew it.

"Thank you Mommy." She skipped off, new cone in hand.

Jeff was turned away from her, but she could tell by his quivering shoulder that he was laughing. Most likely at her expense.

“You think this is funny?”

He nodded, turning back to face her. “Yes I do.” He bit into his cone, sprinkling crumbs on his shirt. “You’re a good mother, though.”

“Thanks.” He just grinned at her and they continued to finish their treats with a comfortable silence between them. Once they were finished, Avery wrangled in Lili from the playground and they all headed home.

“You wanna come in for a drink or something?” Avery asked Jeff as she plucked her daughter out of the car. He agreed and followed the girls inside. Avery placed the child on the ground and flicked on the lights.

The living room was a kaleidoscope of vibrant colors. Teals and pinks and oranges and greens invaded Jeff’s vision, but somehow it all seemed to fit together.

“Give him the tour, Squeaks. I’ll throw together something to drink.” Lili nodded, grabbed his hand and dragged him around the living room, pointing out every picture of their little family. He grinned at a photo of a much younger Avery holding a screaming baby Aaron as they sat with Santa. Another picture caught his eye. It was of Avery and a man he had never seen before. He was holding Lili to his chest. They looked so happy.

“That’s my mommy and daddy.” Lili informed him before pulling on his hand. He followed her upstairs to her room but his mind stayed with the picture. Though Avery never went into detail about her husband, he wondered what had happened between them. The kind of happiness captured in that picture doesn’t just go away for without a good reason.

Lili’s small voice brought him back to earth as she showed him her Barbie dolls and introduced each one. He mostly just nodded and smiled, hoping it would be over soon. Once he was acquainted with each and every doll, she moved on and pulled him out into the hallway.

“That’s Air-Head’s room. Don’t go in there. He yells at you.” The serious look on her face indicated she knew this from experience. There was one last room at the end of the hall that Lili brought him to.

There was no carpeting, which was probably for the best; paint was splattered everywhere. Bright paintings hung from the walls, captivating his attention.

“This is mommy’s office.” A canvas sat against a wall with an unfinished charcoal drawing on it. It was shaping up to be a newborn baby, all wrinkled and eyes sealed shut.

“Is this you?” He asked and she wrenched her face like it was the dumbest question she ever heard.

“No! Mommy is making it for a friend. She’s an art teacher, but people ask for drawlings and they pay her for them,” She pushed some dark hair from her face. “Someday I’m gonna be an artist like my mommy.”

“She painted all of these?” He stood in front of a simple painting of a bamboo forest. The colors were so rich and textured, he just wanted to run his fingers over it.

“Yep, this one is my favorite.” It was a heart made with streaks of purple and red on a green background with splashes of other colors. The paint was thick and heavily textured, like it was her signature. It almost looked like the paint was still wet, forever shiny and matted together.

“It’s all so beautiful.” He breathed out, soaking up the art. He had no idea Avery was an art teacher, nor did he know she was so talented.

“C’mon, let’s go back downstairs.” Lili tugged on his arm and dragged him away. He chuckled at how demanding she was. He wondered how Avery dealt with it day in and day out. Just as they entered the living room, Avery was coming out of the kitchen. Her hands held two large glasses of a dark red liquid while a smaller glass of milk was sandwiched between her arm and body. Jeff hurried over and grabbed the small glass from her, hoping to help her out.

“How did you know I love milk?” He teased before handing it off to Lili.

The child wrinkled her nose. “No chocolate?”

Avery frowned. “You had enough sugar for the night, Missy.” Lili smiled sheepishly before taking a sip of the icy beverage. It left a thick mustache on her upper lip, which she immediately wiped away with her arm.

Jeff grinned and brought his glass to his lips. He could tell instantly it was red wine mixed with something fizzy. Sprite, maybe? He wasn’t normally a wine person, it was usually bitter and he had to drink a gallon of it just to feel a buzz, but the fruity concoction Avery prepared was pretty good. Lili stuck around and chatted for a while before Avery took her upstairs for bed. After a while, the woman returned and plopped down on the couch next to him.

“Sorry about her. She’s a little motor-mouth sometimes. You get used to it.”

Jeff laughed and sipped his drink. “This definitely takes the edge off.”

Avery grinned. “I know. I have one almost every night.” They chuckled and began to relax.

“So what really made you come over?” She finally asked, eyeing him from her side of the couch.

“I was in the neighborhood.”

She scoffed at him, nudging him with her shoulder. “You live like 35 minutes away, genius.”

He wasn’t sure what made him come over. Mike and Cam were so busy with each other, Jeff usually felt like the third wheel and plans with the other guys fell through. Then Avery and her sarcastic invitation came to mind. He just wanted to see the look on her face when he actually showed up on Friday at 7. It lived up to his expectations.

“I don’t know why, to be honest.”

She cocked her head to the side and smiled widely at him, showing off a cute dimple on the side of her face. “You missed me.”

He rolled his eyes. “No I didn’t.”

“Really?” She placed her empty glass on the coffee table and crawled into his lap. She took his glass from him and set it next to hers. His hands automatically settled on her hips. “You didn’t miss me at all?

He shook his head, fighting the grin that threatened to slice across his face. “Not really.”

She nodded and slowly lifted the tank top she was wearing over her head, leaving her in a pink bra. It contrasted beautifully with her the tanned skin on her modest chest. Well, he did miss those. Perhaps they would be able to carry on their relationship during the non-summer months too. It would work out well for him when he is in town and not in the mood to seek out a random bang.

A shy smile crossed Avery’s face as she removed the lacy garment with one arm and tossed it to the floor. Her breasts were smaller than his usual preference, but they were perky and fit her petite frame nicely. It didn’t take long before his mouth went to work, nipping and sucking at her skin.

Yes. This could work out well for Jeff.
♠ ♠ ♠
LEAVE A COMMENT, YOU KNOW YOU WANNA...

I finished this up while watching the Flyers crush the Caps. Anyone else watching this awesomeness???

Feedback is appreciated, my loves.