The Vampire's Promise

Prologue: Promise Me

Fear was the only thing keeping my feet moving in a pattern that was almost quicker than running. A long, dark alleyway stretched before me as several men chased after me. My heart was beating quicker than it ever had before. How did it end up like that?

They seemed like nice businessmen at first, although somewhat lost-looking- I had never seen them around town before. When I had walked up to them, the heads of all of them snapped toward me in a strange way. The looks they gave me were enough to tell me that something was definitely wrong.

I guess one shouldn't walk up to strangers at night, on an empty street. Screaming for help would do me no good. Still, I repeated the wish for help in my head over and over. My thoughts grew louder and louder as my pace began to slow; my body's demand for even more oxygen began to make running difficult.

I have heard you, a voice so faint I felt I must have imagined it spoke. I almost stopped running to look around for the source.

Keep going, it spoke again, and I could identify it as male that time. Just a little farther; trust in me.

I pushed myself even harder and moved even quicker than before.

Turn the corner, and I'll buy you some time, he said again.

Corner? I thought. Sure enough, to my right was a corner, and I did as he had said. Upon entering the new alley, I stopped running and could no longer hear the footsteps of my pursuers.

A tall man appeared before me, his hair long and tied back. He held his hand out.

"If you would like my help, I need you to make a promise to me," he said; the voice from before belonged to him. "Can you do that?"

"Depends on the promise," I answered warily.

"You will promise to be mine for all of eternity, to do as I ask whenever I should ask," he stepped closer to me as he spoke. "In return-"

I interrupted him with, "You want me to be your slave? No way!" He raised a pale eyebrow.

"In return, I shall protect you for all of eternity. Do you want my help, or not?"

I looked behind me, to where I had just come from. I would probably be killed by those strange men if I didn't accept this one's offer. What other choice did I have?

"Fine, I want your help," I muttered.

"Then place your hand within mine, and make the oath," he instructed.

"I- I promise I'll be yours for eternity?" I said as I placed my hand in his. His fingers closed around mine tightly, and he yanked me toward him. His free hand slipped through my hair, sending a shiver down my spine, and he pulled my ear to his chest.

"This heart now beats for you," he whispered and disappeared.

I appeared in the alleyway I had just been in moments before. The footsteps behind me continued again for a moment, then stopped short and were followed by screams of agony.

"You can look now, Carol," I heard the tall man say.

I turned to him to find that the other men were gone. A dark color stained bits of his pale hair, and bits of his clothing, and a drop of the color rested on his cheek.

"How do you know my name?" I asked him. Even though it was rather dark in the alley, I could see him smile as he began to walk toward me.

"I know much about you, Carol," he spoke in a quiet voice. "I have been watching you for some time; you are the card that everyone is searching for."

He pulled a small locket from his pocket when he stopped in front of me. He eyed me with a very curious expression before he said, "I would like for you to wear this. It will mask your scent, and keep something like this from happening again. This is because I won't always be there to help you out of rough situations."

"Who are you?" I furrowed my eyebrows as I took the locket from him. My fingers brushed against his as I did so.

"My name is Vladimir Altair, and that is all you need to know for now." He took the locket from me again, and I raised an eyebrow. "Allow me?"

I nodded and he placed the locket around my neck.

"Farewell, Carol," his fingertips brushed my neck before he disappeared.

"G-good bye?" I blinked several times and rubbed my eyes. I was out in the street again, the alleyway nowhere in sight. I looked around with a confused feeling settling deep within me.

"Was I daydreaming?" I thought aloud. But the locket was still around my neck. My hand closed tightly around the small, heart-shaped piece of metal hanging around my neck by a thin chain. I looked around once more and headed home.
♠ ♠ ♠
GOD. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW LONG I LET THIS COLLECT DUST! I only had the first three paragraphs written for MONTHS! (The first SENTENCE was all I had written back in July of 2011.)