The Vampire's Promise

Chapter twelve: A Little Something

"Did you do it?" a voice startled me out of my sleep. I gasped and looked around, though Vladimir wasn't in bed with me like he usually was. Instead there was a red-haired man sitting on the edge of the bed. "Did you say hello?"

"Who are you?" I asked him, moving back on the bed. His eyes were a frightening aqua color as he grinned.

"You've asked that so many times already," he sounded disapproving as he moved closer to me on the bed. "Shouldn't you have figured by now that I'm not going to tell you my name? Oh, that's right..."

He twirled a lock of my hair in his fingers as he whispered, "I always make you forget me after we meet."

"If you always make me forget you, what would be the harm in telling me who you are?" I questioned and slapped his hand away. He clucked his tongue and grabbed a fistful of my hair, forcing my head back.

"The memory is still there," he explained, "just blocked. We wouldn't want pretty boy to go digging around too deep and finding out who I am now, would we?"

"You're a fucking creep," I spat. I grabbed at his hand and tried to get him to release me.

"So, doll-face, did you say hi like I asked you to?" he murmured against my ear. I shuddered as his lips made their way to my neck. He froze when he reached the spot Vladimir bit, and I felt him smirk against my skin.

"Good girl," he praised quietly, pulling away from me and patting my head after letting go of my hair. "You're a good girl. Now, do me a favor and forget I ever showed up here tonight."

His hand ran over my eyes, and I fell back to sleep.

When I woke up again, Vladimir was holding me close to his chest. A deep confusion settled within me. Something wasn't quite right.

"Vladimir," I said, trying to shake him awake. He groaned, but opened his eyes.

"What is it, Carol?" he asked and pulled me tighter to him.

"I- I don't know, I think I had a nightmare," I furrowed my eyebrows together in thought. "But I can't remember it."

Vladimir sighed and gently stroked my hair, murmuring, "Go back to sleep, Carol. I'm right here; if you have another nightmare, I'll wake you."

I smiled up at his face. "Thank you."

The next day was a bit unexpected. Vladimir had received a letter that the war was starting, and that some demons had made an attack on a village not too far from where we were.

"I'm sorry that it's so soon, Carol," he began, "but now it's time to put your training to the test."

I nodded, but still felt a bit unsure of what exactly I was supposed to do.

"Alright, follow me," he gently took my hand and lead me to another room. "You're going to need to wear-"

"What about breakfast?" I interrupted him. "I'm hungry, and don't you need to feed?"

Vladimir stood frozen, one of his hands placed over a rather shiny looking piece of armor. His head lowered a bit as he turned toward me.

"Last night, when I made you my queen, when I bit you..." He trailed off. As he wouldn't meet my gaze, I lifted his chin gently with my free hand. "I'm not very hungry right now." He gave me a weak smile, and though I knew something was up, I didn't press the matter any further.

"Alright, I can go get something to eat after you finish explaining this stuff," I said, holding my hand towards all of the strange bits of equipment hanging on the walls.

"You'll be putting on some armor after breakfast," he smiled and gently brushed his fingertips over my neck. I shivered a little. "This is the start of the war."

"Bring it on." I gave him the hardest look I could form.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, this is a very short, crappy chapter. Once again, it seems to be jumping a bit too quickly. I'm going to start the next chapter now, and try to take it slow. The dialogue just doesn't seem to be flowing smoothly with the text.

If there are any mistakes, I'll catch them later.