The Vampire's Promise

Chapter seventeen: Ghosts

I rushed to get to Jorslev's office. Hoping more than ever before that he would be there, I pushed open the door. Several guards stood outside the door on either side, hidden and awaiting further orders.

"O-oh! M-my lady, the queen," he stuttered, startled upon my entering the room. "W-what brings you here?"

Closing the door I said, "Drop the act, Jorslev. I know what you've done." The room seemed to darken as Jorslev's posture straightened.

"So you know now," his voice sounded different- deeper somehow.

"Why did you betray your own king?" I asked. I stepped closer to the desk he stood behind.

"Why does anyone do anything like that, Carol?" he countered. "I did it for my own personal gain." He drew out the last three words as he stepped around the desk and over to me.

"What kind of gain?" I narrowed my eyes and stepped back a bit.

"I got tired of my family hanging around, constantly telling me what a huge mistake it was for me to join Vladimir's military," he continued to step closer. "In exchange for his ending their lives, Dorian requested that I one day help him end Vladimir's life."

"What for?" I was backed up against the door now. Jorslev placed a hand against the door, above my head.

"He wouldn't say," he said, his voice low. The finger of his other hand came up to slowly trail over my cheek. I shuddered at the touch.

"You know, Carol, I was going to let Dorian have you," the grin on his face made me cringe. "But I think I'll take you for myself."

As his teeth grazed my ear, I pushed the door back open and stepped out of the room.

"Now!" I yelled. The guards sprung forward, grabbing Jorslev and tying his wrists together behind his back with rope. Jorslev continued to grin, his eyes narrowing.

"this isn't over, Carol," he hissed. Tears welled up in my eyes again.

"You have his confession; take him away," I happily gave the order to the guards. They nodded and began to lead Jorslev away.

"This isn't over!" he screamed as they dragged him.

I let out a long sigh, running a hand through my hair. After a long, eventful day, I supposed that I should join Vladimir and attempt to get a good night's sleep.

After changing into pajamas, I climbed into bed with Vladimir, snuggling up to him under the covers. Vladimir didn't move at all as I wrapped my arms around him. I sighed and softly kissed his shoulder before letting sleep take me.

When I woke up the next morning, it looked as if Vladimir had stayed in the same position all night. He was laying on his back, his head slightly tilted to the side, and his lips were parted a little. I trailed a fingertip gently over his lips.

I smiled and whispered near his ear, "Wake up, Vladimir." Pulling my head back, I watched his face.

"Vladimir?" My smile began to fall. I gently grasped his shoulders and shook him lightly. "Hey, wake up. You've been asleep forever."

When there was still no response, panic began to settle in my stomach. I checked to see if he was still breathing. He was, though it offered very little comfort. I shook him lightly again.

"Come on, Vladimir! You promised!" I begged, my grip on his shoulders tightening. "Come on; come on! Wake up, please! I need you, I love you. Wake up!"

"He's not going to wake up, dear," a scratchy voice from behind me spoke. I turned to see the most hideous creature I had ever laid eyes on standing in the middle of the room.

"Who are you?" I asked it.

It was silent for a while before it answered, "I am the one you seek; I am Afreya. I have come to ask a favor of you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally, the end... Now to type up the first book. Don't ask why I started this all in such a weird order; it just happened that way.