The Vampire's Promise

Chapter two: Listening

Throughout the following week, Vladimir made several appearances. He'd be standing by the newspaper stand, waiting for me. He'd be seated at benches along my pathway; in shops I frequented; everywhere. I avoided him as best as I could.

The one place I couldn't avoid him at was work. Alison told me that he would only come to sit at the table in the corner when I was waiting tables; he would never come in on days that I was off work. Every time I had to serve him, fear would be settled in my stomach, gnawing away at me.

Things would always turn out the same way, oddly enough. Today would probably be no different.

"What can I get for you today, Vladimir?" I asked, pen and notepad ready. He looked up at me with those begging, cold, blue eyes of his.

In a very quiet voice he said, "Please, Carol. There is something very important that I need to talk with you about."

I shook my head. "What would you like to order?"

He reached up, gently grabbing my chin and pulling my face down so that I was eye-to-eye with him.

"I'm coming over tonight," he whispered, violet dancing briefly over the icy color of his eyes, "and you're going to listen to what I have to say."

A shiver ran through me and my eyes widened. "Y-yes sir," I nodded, and his hand slipped away from my chin. I straightened up.

"Good," he muttered, looking down at the table. My hands were shaking as I held the pen and notepad. "I would like to order the usual." A cheeseburger and a cup of coffee, I noted mentally.

"Of course, s-sir." I wandered quickly back into the kitchen.

When I served him his food, he didn't speak to me. When I came to collect the payment for the meal, he didn't speak to me. I was glad for the silence.

When I came home, a note from Rebecca was stuck to the refrigerator. I'm working late tonight; probably won't be back until 2 or 3 AM. The word "late" was underlined several times. I sighed and took the note off the refrigerator.

"Whatever you say, Beck." I tossed the note into the recycle bin, grabbing a box of crackers from a cupboard.

I settled into the sofa with a blanket wrapped around me, turned on the television, and began a horror movie marathon. Dread sunk further and further into me the later it got. At some point, I had fallen asleep.

Something soft was brushing against my cheek. When I opened my eyes, Vladimir's face came into view. I screamed, but the hand that had been caressing my cheek covered my mouth, quickly muffling the sound.

"Be quiet!" Vladimir hissed. "Your friend may be gone, but there are still others within this building. Now I'm not going to do anything to you, alright? I just came here to ask for your help."

My eyes narrowed, but I closed my mouth. He pulled his hand away and carried a dining chair up to the sofa.

"My world is in danger," he mumbled, taking a seat in the chair.

"Is it?" I asked him, sitting up on the sofa. He looked up at me with a grave expression.

"There is a war going on," he whispered. "I suppose I should tell you what exactly those men were, back in the alleyway; what exactly I am."

"Yes, you should," I encouraged. "Also, you told me that... I was a card?"

Vladimir let out a long breath. "They were magic hunters, sent originally to look for me: a vampire. I'm not just any-"

"Vampire?" I interrupted him. "You're a vampire?" He sent me a cold look.

"Do not interrupt me again," his eyes flashed that violet color once more. I wanted to ask him more, because he didn't seem like he could be a vampire, to me- despite all the strange things he could do- but I couldn't open my mouth.

He spoke again, "I am a vampire, Carol. We do exist, and so do those magic hunters. I'm not just any vampire, though, Carol. I am a vampire prince- well, king, now..."

He looked away from me, stroking his chin. He whispered again, "I am a vampire king..." He sighed and looked back to me.

"Yes, you are a card. Actually, you are the only remaining card. The rest were stolen and devoured long ago. A witch kept you hidden for a long while. Then there was a struggle..." he trailed off.

As I couldn't speak, I urged him with my eyes to continue. A small smile formed on his lips, and he looked out the window.

"Someone found the witch. They were upset that she was hiding the card all for herself... That man was my great grandfather. He came at the poor woman; attacked her. He grabbed the wrist of the hand that was holding the card, and reached for it with his other hand; and the witch grabbed the wrist of that hand.

"They struggled on for a long while, shifting and turning. My great grandfather squeezed too hard, and the woman let go of the card. They were on the bridge connecting the human world to the magic world, so the card ended up fluttering to the waters below. It was swallowed by a tear in time before it reached the water.

"A man crossing the bridge, a few years after you were born, reported seeing a blackened card fall to the waters below. He said a golden mist rose from it, and traveled elsewhere."

There was a long moment of silence.

"You may speak now," he said, eyes shifting violet for a moment again.

"How do you keep doing that...?" I asked him. "The weird thing with your eyes..."

"It's a vampire trick."

"How do you know that... how do you know that I'm the card? I mean, that mist cold have traveled anywhere. It could have even traveled to you, for all you know," I crossed my arms as I spoke.

"I was there that night," he said quietly. "I was walking home... I had just fed, and thought that I might have been slightly high off the blood. But I saw... that golden glitter. I followed it; I followed it all the way to your home. You were just a little girl then. It rose up to your window, pushing inward... and there was a flash of golden light. I knew the magic had chosen you."

"Why me?" My eyebrows furrowed together. "What do... what can cards do?"

"The cards are said to be protectors of magic," Vladimir mumbled, his eyes glazing over. "I thought they were just a myth, but seeing that with my own eyes... As I said before, as well, you are the only remaining one. In the tale I was taught in school, when I was a young boy, only the Heart card survived- while the rest were gobbled by a goblin."

"That sounds like a... horrible fate," I looked at the floor. After unfolding my arms, I leaned back on my hands. "What do you need my help for? I mean, I'm just- me. I'm pretty sure I don't have any special powers."

"Like I said before, my world is in danger. You hold great power, Carol; it just has to be unlocked. Will you come with me, to my kingdom? My people are eager to meet you," he stood up while speaking. He held his hand out to me, his expression very serious.

I stared at his hand for a long moment. Slowly, my gaze traveled up to his face. His eyes seemed to beg me to say yes.

"How long do you guess I'll be gone for?" I sighed.

"It could be a long time," he replied.

"I... Sure; just let me leave a message for my friend and let me pack some things." I pushed his hand to the side and got up from the sofa. Oh boy, what am I getting myself into? I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, so apparently- for one of my friends, at least- the layout is wigging out. The layout I had set for this story before was titled "Bloody Nightmare," with red text, and bloody parchment off to the side. I thought that, no matter how dark or bright the red text was made to be, it would always be difficult to read.

So I changed it to a layout that made everything a whole lot easier to read- "Clouds," I do believe. There is a picture of clouds to the bottom right, and the background for the story is white while the text is black.

If you ARE NOT seeing this "Clouds" layout, please let me know and I'll see about contacting Mibba. I'm able to see the "Clouds" layout... Though keep in mind that there is the option to switch to a more easier to read layout- though very plain.

Also, I would like to encourage you not to be a silent reader. I love feedback! If there are any grammatical errors/word errors that I failed to catch, don't be afraid to mention them so I can fix them! My fiance is also very good at catching them; he likes to read what I write.

My apologies that this is starting off kind of slow, and might be a bit boring.

Layout edit: My bad! The text for the chapters was actually a bright golden color. I fixed it!