Status: Active

The Moon Looks Brighter Than the Sun

Pre-phase to Phase I

Lily Evans sat down next to Elise Wilkes at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. Her prefect badge hanging on the opposite breast of her Gryffindor badge on her robes. She kept her head up high as more fifth years and sixth years gathered around her; this way they would know she’s more in charge than they are. This new responsibility that Dumbledore has bestowed on her made her smile to herself. Lily took being a prefect a huge honor. And she’s very happy to be one for Gryffindor with Remus Lupin, whom she has taken to be the better one of James Potter’s lot.

On the other side of the table, James Potter sat a few people down from Lily but he kept his eye on her. He loved to look at her. He loved to be near her. He just hated it when he did something to annoy her. This year he had to do something to win her over, he just had to. Next to James sat Sirius, who currently tried flirting with a known 7th year and she flirted right back. Across from Sirius sat Remus and Peter next to Remus. The three boys talked among themselves about the coming school year. What classes they’re dreading, the O.W.L.s that come later in the year and just being fifth years all around. Remus especially loved Defense Against the Dark Arts. James only worried about Quidditch and making the team, again, as Peter dreaded every class for he isn’t as great as his friends.

The Sorting Ceremony was just about to start. Any minute now the throng of first years were going to come walking through the doors to try on a magical hat that places each student in the house they belong in. The particular ceremony always made Elise nostalgic of her time being sorted and how the Hat had yelled out the name of her house the instant its fabric touched her head. It barely needed time to think about placing Elise in Gryffindor. Practically making her the first and only black sheep of the Wilkes family. Being put into Gryffindor always surprised her. She never saw herself with Gryffindor qualities. Elise saw herself as brave came very seldom but she knows she’s loyal. She’d give up her own life to save anyone she loves.

One by one, the eleven year old first years were sorted into their houses. Gryffindor gained a few, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin did the same. Elise watched her brother give a creepy grin to a small first year boy who sat near them. She pulled a face. Lily nudged her with her elbow, when Elise looked to her Lily raised an eyebrow questioningly. “What’s with the face?” She mouthed and Elise shrugged but subtly nodded towards the Slytherin table. Lily looked and saw Austin Wilkes looking at her with a glare. Lily rolled her eyes and noticed Severus Snape looking at her with a smile on his face. He waved and she waved back mimicking his smile.

“I’m glad you and Severus are still friends,” Elise whispered to Lily. Lily beamed. Elise never had a problem with Severus, unlike James Potter and Sirius Black. Severus may be a Slytherin but he’s never done anything too horrible to her. Elise liked that Lily and Severus are friends just because of the Gryffindor/Slytherin rivalry.

“I think tomorrow involves some Slytherin pranking and first year humorous torturing,” Sirius told his mates just loud enough for a few first years to hear along with Lily Evans. Lily glared as the first years all stared at Sirius with terrified faces.

“Sirius, don’t,” Remus tried, in a very meek voice, but Sirius just laughed, short and loud.

“I’m kidding, Moony, just the Slytherins we’ll prank. James and I have a whole idea planned since last year, we’ll tell you two later.” Sirius pointed to Remus and Peter. Peter nodded excitedly as Remus shook his head.

“Count me out, Sirius,” Remus told putting his hands up just as the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, took his place in front of his golden podium.

“Welcome back students to another year at Hogwarts!” A few clapped and cheered, excited to be back at a place a lot just call home. “I have a few things to say but first here’s some food for thought.” He winked to the expectant crowd and when every student looked back to their table it was magically filled with all sorts of foods. Instantly everyone started digging into their favorite foods.

After everyone was full and ready for bed, Dumbledore said his usual school year announcements before setting them off to their common rooms and bed. Elise felt Lily tug at her arm as they walked through the crowd. “So I think a bit of time in the common room is in order, yeah?” Lily asked hopefully to the girl, hoping to talk to her but Elise sighed.

“Sorry, I’m really tired. Maybe tomorrow? After class?” Lily nodded with a sad face.

“You better promise,” she smirked as she put up her left hand, pinkie out for a pinkie promise. A Muggle sort of tradition to keep promises and make sure they never break. Elise looked at her with a furrowed brow. Lily giggled when she realized that Elise didn’t know what she was doing. “It’s called a pinkie promise. It’s a Muggle thing but it means that if you make a pinkie promise you cannot break the promise. If you do, you pretty much die.”

“Like the Unbreakable Vow?” Elise questioned and Lily shrugged.

“Sure but you don’t really, physically die,” the two girls laughed before Elise linked her pinkie with Lily.

“I promise then.” The two beamed at each other and then realized they weren’t alone in their walk. James Potter watched them curiously, Remus shyly avoided looking at Elise, Peter watched James and Sirius started laughing loudly.

“You two are barmy,” Lily and Elise glared at him before going to hit him but he moved away fast.

“Girls interact in weird ways,” James finally admitted with confusion set on his face. The two girls rolled their eyes and gave each other a knowing look: boys are stupid.

“What do you lot want?” Lily asked giving each boy a look and Elise casually looked to Remus, who looked away with his cheeks red.

“We’re walking with you, is that a crime, Evans?” James asked with a faux appalled voice and his words only angered Lily.

“Yes, now leave us alone,” the girls began walking faster but the boys caught up quickly.

“You can’t get rid of us that quickly, girls, we are going to the same place.” Sirius quipped and the two girls stopped, groaned with eye rolls.

“Fine, walk with us but don’t make fun of us,” Elise offered and the boys all looked at each other, James and Sirius shrugged and Peter followed them. Remus didn’t really look at anyone until he felt Elise’s eyes off him. Then he looked to her quickly before looking away again with a blush on his face. The group began walking again towards Gryffindor tower. Lily stated the password, the Fat Lady, a portrait that guarded Gryffindor tower, nodded and swung open to allow the group in. Instantly Elise went up to bed, saying her goodnights. Remus did the same only moments later. Peter followed Remus and asked if he had any chocolate, despite just eating. James, Sirius and Lily found themselves sitting by the fire place.

“Hey, Evans, does Elise like Remus?” The question came out so casual, it caught Lily off guard. James stared at her, patiently waiting for an answer as Sirius stared at his best friend confused. What is he getting at?

“Yeah, she does, why?” Lily gave the boy in glasses a skeptic glance as he clapped his hands together in both triumph and excitement.

“I propose a plan, Evans, that you, me and Sirius try and get the Wilkes girl and the Lupin boy together,” James’ eyes glimmered with the thoughts of his plan. Sirius instantly snorted into laughter and Lily said “no way” as soon as the words ‘you, me and Sirius’ left James’ mouth. “Oh come on you two! Sirius we shared a look and Lily I know you’re thinking it.”

“Mate, as much as I’d like to get Remus a girl, and Elise is a great girl, but you are a complete nutter if you think it’ll work.” Sirius clapped his friend on the shoulder but it didn’t help James. He felt completely crestfallen over the lack of support from his best mate and the girl of his dreams.

“I’d have to agree with Sirius, for once, plus anything you two would come up with would probably end in disaster.” Lily quipped and James threw his hands in the air.

“That’s why we need you!” He told her before taking a deep breath. “Sirius has gotten enough action to know what to do right or wrong, stuff girls like and something Remus would actually do. I’m quite good at planning to perfection and executing said plan. Then you,” he reached over a table to take Lily’s hand. She tore it from him but James didn’t stop. “You’re the girl, you know what Elise likes and you’re brilliant. You’ll probably plan much better than I can, I just have the ways of us never being caught.”

Lily stared at the hazel eyes of James for any sign of doubt, maybe even lying but she couldn’t find it. This is all against her better judgment. James Potter is arrogant. A bully. Completely and utterly annoying. But she wanted Elise to be happy, along with Remus and they would be so happy together. Sighing, Lily gave in. “Fine Potter, but on one condition.”

“Anything,” he said breathlessly and Lily pulled a face.

“If this doesn’t work, it is all your fault.”

“That, that I can do.” Sirius looked to his best mate and a girl who usually annoyed him to no end and gave in.

“Alright, I’ll join this little group. But it’s only because you need my dating expertise.”

“Oh shove off mate,” James laughed with Sirius after shoving him a little and even got a giggle from Lily. This was the pre-phase to phase I. The trio planned phase I in their area, in the common room, next to the fire. They planned until midnight before Lily trotted up to bed and James and Sirius tried to get into their beds without waking up Peter, Remus or Frank. James couldn’t help but look to the sleeping Remus and smirk. Remus will be happy and in love soon. James could feel it. Despite Remus’ “furry little problem”.
♠ ♠ ♠
Um, sorry about taking so long. Ever since I got my Pottermore email I've been on there and like super excited to write my three (four actually but shhh you don't get that one yet) Harry Potter fanfics. Even though I can't see my common room on Pottermore, its depressing. Anyway I hope you like this update and there will be some amazing chapters coming up later on. :)